Would you play a Civ 4 MMO?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mike_cf, Mar 30, 2011.

?

Would you play a Civ 4 like MMO?

1. Yes, if it's free to play (with microtrans)

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Yes, with subscription

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Yes, but only if it's made by Fireaxis

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. No, Civ can be only a desktop experience

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  1. mike_cf

mike_cf Chieftain

If there were a MMO very close to Civ 4 gameplay (I'm excluding Civ World here) would you play it? If yes why, if no why? :)

What would be, in your opinion, the ultimate Civ online experience?

2. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

i might play it like once or twice, so i guess technically my answer would be "yes, if it's free to play", but i've never really been able to get into mmo games, so i'd probably get bored of it.

3. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

What, for the few ignorant folks like me, is a MMO?

4. totalepicness

totalepicness Civilization Fanatic

i might try it...

5. totalepicness

i might try it....

MMO = massively multiplayer online game

6. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Thanks for the translation into words. Now that I know what a MMO is, my answer is no, I would not use one.

7. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

What are "microtrans" (from the first voting option)?

The poll could use another option, such as "Yes, but only if it's NOT made by Fireaxis." ;)

8. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Hall Monitor Super Moderator

I think I need to say exactly what you said, now that I know what an MMO is.

9. Selous

Selous King

microtransaction, aka, paying small sums of money for small things ... like DLC

i would be interested in a civ type of MMO, but would depend on so many factors as to if i would pay and/or play

10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

I am grossly uncertain as to the shape a "civ like game" would take in an MMO context. On of the principal features of the MMO market is that the "game" is not winnable. Individual challenges are, sure.

Would the map be just really really huge to accommodate thousands of players? How would it handle people who play continuously vs people who play for 30 minutes once or twice a day, or every other day? Would it be sort of like Farmsville or the Sims?

I think the reason you see the MMO market dominated by Role Playing Games is that at its most basic the structure of an RPG is to reward the player with increased power for increased successful play. That base mechanic also happens to be why Player Vs. Player interactions are so innately flawed in such a game. People who play the most tend to get to be the most skilled at playing. Rewarding increased play with increased power to boot almost always leads to massive curb-stomping of newer players. It would be sort of like if I logged into my first online Civ 4 game to find that I was playing the Holy Roman Empire and say, TMIT was playing Egypt with Warchariots upgraded to 6 strength and 3 moves. Welcome to MMO PvP in half the market.

Answer to original question: you would have to sell the heck out of this and probably invent "new" mechanics for the MMO market before I would be remotely interested in trying to play a game like Civ on it.

11. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

@op
    You'll have to give us a brief outline of how the game would work. MMO suggests hundreds or thousands of players - victory conditions? Conquest could take years, especially if everyone took a few minutes to play their turn :lol: Maybe there would be no victory at all?

What might be cool is if avatars in another MMO like Second Life or something could sit down together in a virtual room and play a game of actual Civ 4 on a large globe rotating in mid air in the middle of the room.

12. mike_cf

mike_cf Chieftain

Some ideas: victory conditions could be minor like space or scientific victory (as if you're playing SP) or major , the end server event which only one player can win. Conquest or domination victories are not feasible for a MMO, unless is set an objective such as hold 50 cities or destroy other 8 civs (of your level).
    Players shouldn't be able to attack or to sabotage (think plant nuclear device) other players out of their league (a metric to ensure as much as possible fair combat and competition, no modern empire could attack someone in ancient age for example, but those are implementation details).

Microtransactions shouldn't give production/combat bonuses at all, the business model really depends on the type of players the game would attract.

13. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Different zones maybe (settler zone, chieftan zone .... deity zone). You select the zone you want to play in - if you select too high it's your own fault then.

One problem would still be starting next to a civ which was more developed - even 10 turns would be decisive, so how about this.

A game starts with 6 other people in a regular online MP world. You can win that world in any of the regular ways, at which point your world is connected via space-lanes with another 6 worlds where the players have all just won, and you play on with the empires you had when you won. This continues for as long as you want to go on micromanaging 7x7x7... etc. times as many units/cities/worlds as normal. Perhaps at some point you employ sweatshop workers to run different areas of your empire :mischief:

The future era techs and units would have to be extended significantly - obviously with space travel stuff to move units between worlds.

14. totalepicness

Basically, it would change so much while becoming an MMO that it wouldn't fit the civilization series at all.

no problem

15. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

I don't believe it is possible to make a good MMO with "very close to Civ 4 gameplay". A key part of Civ4 is the journey from ancient times to a final end-game climax in modern times, and the player's ability to drive the shape of the world during that time.

In an MMO, the game would continue to run while any given player was absent, and the game world may need to persist for many real-life years. It couldn't possibly have the same build up from ancient times to modern times, and it certainly couldn't have an end-game climax.

16. totalepicness

I hate online Civ as it is.

17. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

i'd think it would be kind of close to what they did with warcraft. the warcraft trilogy is about controlling a kingdom of sorts with fantasy characters and world of warcraft is about playing as one of those fantasy characters.
    maybe in a civilization mmo, you could start out as a warrior or archer and then upgrade through time. or there could be different servers where you can start out as a rifleman or something.
    i'd probably still only play it once or twice if they did that, though.

18. SteveTR

SteveTR Chieftain

My idea of Civ MMO is like this:

You could play as some king and there would be three modes - king mode, kingdom management mode (like in normal Civ 4) and battle mode (turn based). With experience, you would level up and your empire would grow.

19. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I’ve heard that Evony and Lord of Ultima are MMOs similar to Civ. Ok, they’re not exactly the same, but they do offer MMO 4X gameplay.

I think one big problem w/ the notion of a Civ-based MMO is showing change over time, ie through the eras. Ideally, you would want a game where players can develop their societies over time and obtain some form of advantage over others through their research, but you’d also want a system where new players can jump in w/o being totally disadvantaged by the staggering lead of other players. There are several ways around this, like forcing game world resets or artificially establishing parity for new players, but few solutions are ideal.

How new players join the game also raises the issue of the geographic limits of the game world. If the game was similar to Civilization and had a finite game world then at a certain point in the life time of any given game world all viable city locations will be settled, making it difficult to introduce new players. On the other hand, if the game worlds were infinite, or finite but expanding with new players, then that takes away the possibility of building one civilization to rule them all, which is a driving force for many Civ players. There are, again, was to adjust game play to address these issues, but these could raise new issues.

I think a Civ-based MMO could be very interesting, but I have difficulties imagining how designers can maintain the spirit of Civilization while at the same time building a game that works in the MMO model.

20. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

maybe something like haven and hearth?