1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you play as a barbarian encampment?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by DisruptiveIdiot, Mar 5, 2004.

1. DisruptiveIdiot

DisruptiveIdiot Chieftain

Hell yes I would :D The fact that I can send out warriors and attack whoever I damned please is appealing to me. If you could construct new encampments and upgrade your barbs it would be even more awesome! :D

2. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle Supporter

Hmmm... considering the following:

1) The AI would have attack bonuses against me (except in diety, of course), and 2) I can already send out warriors and attack whoever I please, the answer would be no. ;)

3. KaNick

KaNick Chieftain

If the game were made so that it was a viable option I would love to play as a barbarian.

4. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I used to do that quite a bit in Civ2, especially if the barbs happened to conquer a small continent of a half dozen cities (that happened once, although, the civ took it back).

5. Nocturno

Nocturno Chieftain

Never, Crush the barbarian rabble!

6. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I think that it would be fun to be a barbarian tribe taking on a large empire, capturing its cities.

7. Illusion13

Illusion13 Chieftain

I would love to have a barbarian hunt map though... Like, maybe just you, and I dont know, the other tribes could team with you, and all you do is hunt barbs. Yup.

8. Longasc

Longasc Chieftain

Basically you should try the "Fall of Rome" Conquest.

You really would not want to play roaming barbarians, in the same number and strength as the AI barbarians...^^

9. Illusion13

Illusion13 Chieftain

playing as barb can be fun if you can like, manipulate huge arse uprisings and stuff :)

10. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

I once started work on a Barbarian civ, unable to build many units, and completely unable to generate culture (so as to make sure their borders do not expand)... Never really got around to finishing it up... But it would probably be pretty darn cool.

11. Dann

Dann Green bug

I'm also working on a Barbarian/Nomadic "civ" that can be used for Huns, Germanic tribes, Central Asian nomads, etc.

The idea was based on the "Barbarian" civs in C3C's Fall of Rome but I did some additional tweaking.

Some handicaps will be:
    1) Very limited tech tree.
    2) Only a few unit types. :(
    3) Limited number of city improvements.
    4) No taxmen or scientists, ever! :eek:
    5) Very few culture generating structures.
    6) Horrible corruption and no way to deal with it. :cry:
    7) Can never leave the ancient age! :crazyeye:

Some advantages:
    1) Those few unit types are by no means weak. :evil:
    2) Some advanced units can capture enemy units and turn them into lower level troops of your own.
    3) Absolutely no unit support needed whatsoever! :mwaha:

Thus, the strategy becomes: Build hordes of goons and raze everything in sight for early conquest/elimination victory, BEFORE anyone else develops advanced stuff like muskets and cannons. :jump:

What do you think? Will this be playable?

12. MiChello

MiChello De la Boucle

You could also further improve the barbarians by using more barbaric things from history. Those people we are used to calling barbarians have had very sophisticated weapons and units. You could introduce Pictish and Scythian units, or maybe ad some pirates or maybe even rebels.
    On the other hand, barbarian is a controversial name, for the chinese were used to calling the europeans barbarians untill they themself were brutally beaten by those same barbarians. Play like a barbarian? I'd love to:D

13. Dann

Dann Green bug

That's why I typed "Barbarians" with brackets. :D

Oh and don't worry. Every one of these civs (Picts, Scythians, etc.) will get their own UUs and stuff. ;)

14. MiChello

MiChello De la Boucle

:goodjob: I would love to see the results. Do not forget to make a Germanic barbarian tribe called the Batavians, I'm kinda nationalistic ;)

15. Free Enterprise

Free Enterprise The return stroke.

As already stated in Civ 2 you actually could play as the barbarians. It required doing a few things with saving/loading certain ways to get it to work. The barbarians couldn't really research technology because after you finally gained a technology it would eventually disappear and you were thence forth forced to research the technology again (thereby being stuck in a loop of sorts).

It would be interesting if you could play as barbarians in Civilization 3. Perhaps there is some way if you edit the files.....

I think barbarians should be able to acquire more advanced units over time. They should progress fairly slowly however eventually they should be able to produce/use more advanced units such as knights, cavalry, and guerrillas.

16. binyo66

binyo66 Chieftain

Batavians is alson what I called the origin in my hometown here. I think I would enjoy playing as "barb" and been called "President" by "non-barb" civ :lol:

17. zamaikun

zamaikun monkey commando

it would kind of suck to have everybody attacking you just to get a bit of extra gold though. and you'd have to research tech for a really long time judging by when the barbs get galleys.

18. binyo66

binyo66 Chieftain

:lol: U dont need to search it, just steal the tech... nothing to lose... u r already at war with everybody.

19. MiChello

MiChello De la Boucle

Binyo, Jakarta used to be called Batavia by the Dutch, they named it that way, and it was no coincident. Batavia was also the name of a large war vessel of the Dutch Navy in earlier times. The first name given to the Netherlands was actualy: "De Bataafse Republiek", meaning "The Batavian Republic". It took some time before our country got the name: The Netherlands

20. binyo66

binyo66 Chieftain

Thanx for the history lesson, I love history (thats one reason I love CivIII). I didnt even know where "batavia" came from. After all, there is a "real" lesson in this forum
    :)
    :thanx: :thanx: