Would you quit this game?

Lucius_

King
For starters let me say I already abandoned this game and started a new one with the same settings. The new game is going very well.

Ok the game was Poland, fractal, standard settings, immortal.

I started off about 8 tiles from Etheopia to my west. North was a city state with Japan on the other side. East was Rome, who was aggressively expanding towards me. South was a very small peninsula and ocean.

The map was very tight in my area. Etheopia sandwiched a city to my north, between my cap and the CS. Rome settled all the way up to my cap on the east side. I settled northwest and south. My settling was late but the locations were decent. At first I thought I would be only able to settle 1 city. So things are going well and about t100 Rome DOW me. I hold him off and take Neaopolis. I'm marching to Cumae and Etheopia DOW me.

I tried to stay friends with him. We had trade routes, open borders. I tried to bribe him into war with Rome, but he wouldn't take anything for it. So Etheopia took my western city in 2 turns. My army was too far away. I rushed a CB in the sieged city, but it wasn't enough. I was swarmed all around because of his city placement.

I made peace with Rome, and tried to take his northern city. But his army was massive and attacking my capital. I defended and weakened his army. By that time, his northern city had 26 defense and xbows were a long way off.

Would you have continued this game? Would you have reloaded at turn 1 and retried the map? Or would have done what I did and restart on a new map?

If he went piety instead of trad as Hailie does often, 26D is doable with CBs(assuming he didn't take +30% city ranged attack pantheon as he often does).

Ultimately though, I rarely abandon unless my cap was stolen. It's difficult with just a description but it read to me as though you should probably have played a 2 city trad and likely managed peaceful or at least easy defense on all fronts.

Keep in mind when forward settling in almost undefendable positions that you could very well have let AIs settle there and just gone offensive on them later in the game instead. With internal trade routes now, 2 city is actually competitive with 3-4 city until mid-late renaissance as you can still grow to your happiness cap.

with out a screen shot or save game its hard to say. City placement is a huge factor in whether you get an early DoW or not. The new warmonger penalty makes taking an enemy city like you did prohibitive as well, you almost have to overwhelm the enemy and get the forward settled city in a peace deal - not actually sure how the warmonger penalty works for that, but I think its safe enough.

If the game becomes unfun to play, I just retire. I'm not going to spend a bunch of time playing a game that just is irritating.

66 def would be hard to do with XB, 26 is a sweet spot for them, Next time sell the city you are about to lose to someone, preferably next victim. Get it back intact in peace settlement later ;)
Enjoy your come from behind win, of course continue with it.

Yeah in hindsight, I should have stuck with just 2 cities. The city was behind a river so I thought it would be safe. I didn't expect such a large attack from his expansion. Although that probably came from the open borders I gave him.

Also if I had settled 20 turns earlier, the city would have had more citizens and more defense. Not sure if that would have helped much. Maybe I would have had a couple more turns to rush buy walls.

Generally, I quit when I lose a city early. I just feel crippled at that point. This was my first game on immortal since BNW and I didn't want to deal with coming from behind. All in all, lesson learned.

Although that probably came from the open borders I gave him.

Don't do this, except in really extraordinary situations, like you need him to get an army through to attack a neighbor on the other side, and even then its questionable.

All you are doing is helping the AI win by letting them see how bad your defenses are, and giving them a boost to tourism.

Top Bottom