Would you rename any of the existing factions?

Westwall

Emperor
There have been topics covering what factions you hope to see in future mods/DLC, but what about the ones already included? Are you satisfied with their names or would you consider renaming them to better represent their regions or sound more "futuristic"?

Just my two cents:

American Reclamation Corporation - ARC is a good acronym but Reclamation sounds a bit too much like a pawn shop or retirement service. I feel like the R could stand for something more... exciting?

Brasilia - Since this is already the capital of Brazil, something more inclusive like "Southern Sphere" or "Latin Alliance" might've been better.

Franco-Iberia - A bit too specific in my opinion, I would've preferred something like "United Roman Coalition" or "Inter-Europa."

Kavithan Protectorate - Something like "South Asian Protectorate" would've been better I think.

Pan-Asian Cooperative - No real problem with this one. The name doesn't really "pop" but it's functional.

People's African Union - Also functional.

Polystralia - Maybe it's just me but this one seems really awkward. Almost anything else would've been better - Pacifica, Oceania, Austranesia, Australnesia, Pacific Commonwealth, etc.

Slavic Federation - Feels oddly on the nose with singling out a specific ethnicity. "Eurasian Confederation" or "Combined Eurasian Federation" might've sounded better.

Thoughts?

I might, but only the one I am playing because the names of the others are by now familiar, as are their UA's. There is also the leader personalities to consider, because some leaders seem to be far more aggressive and expansive than others.

I didnt know this, so is there a thread somewhere on this? I thought they were all probably quite random.

The Sponsors do not have Affinity preferences, so that is known to be random, but I think that expansionism is part of some leader personalities because I have heard Pete, the Co-Lead developers and MadDjinn all comment and joke about it at various times: the SF and ARC are two factions that I recall being mentioned in the videos as being particularly obnoxious about pushing out aggressively.

Franco-Iberia = I actually don't mind this one.
Brasilia = Brazilian Dominion
Kavithan Protectorate = Also don't mind this one.
ARC = Google, Incorperated
Pan-Asian Cooperative People's Confederacy of Asia
People's African Union Islamic Remnants (African Coalition if Obama actually does something)
Polystralia = Selatan Trade Federation (Selatan is Indonesian for water, probably not the best choice.)
Slavic Federation = Slavic Empire

Brasilia technically has another name i think, Union of the Southern American states or something like that

I don't like any of the Beyond Earth factions. I feel a preferable senario would be for corporations to replace nationalistic identities. Corporations along the lines of the Weyland-Yutani Corporation from Aliens. Even better would be factions like in Dune, such as the Bene Gesserits or Tleilaxu. I would love to play a Tleilaxu like faction.

I think it is extremely unimaginative to have factions that cling so tightly to Earth nations. I want to play a sci-fiction game, not Civilization V on another planet. This is why I loved Alpha Centauri.

I will be changing Polystralia to Oceania every single game. I hate it, and think it's just a corny nod to the Apolyton community. I wonder if resources like the equally corny 'Firaxite' can be changed too?

I would rename all actually.

Australis is a latin word meaning southern, I find nothing on stralis.

Could be wrong but meanwhile I'll wait for someone to show the definition.
Check out this list and tell me how many portmanteaux make complete dictionary sense. It's not about melding words with perfect preservation of each constituent.

Anyway, until I get my own faction project up and running (which shouldn't take long from release), I might rename Brasilia. Or Franco-Iberia, due to the more appealing colour scheme.

So what ? That doesn't disprove my initial statement.
My point is that etymological sense is unnecessary for portmanteaux. Eurasia makes exactly as much sense as Polystralia. It's the same kind of combination.

"Eur" means nothing per sé either. It's just a chunk of the word "Europe".

Ultimately, as my closing statement on the subject, I'll say there's the fact words aren't born in the dictionary.

Top Bottom