1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you settle a new city post t200?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lucius_, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Title says it all.

But here is my specific situation if you want to chime in on that. I'm Shoshone playing domination, emperor diff. My continent is conquered, most civs completely removed from the game. There are 2 more capitals to take somewhere. I found a small continent with 2 CSs and an open spot close to my continent. The spot has 2 fish, salt, wheat, and stone. All plains, no hills or forests. I do not have salt, so happiness wise I can afford it, sort of. Also I went full tradition and only founded 3 cities so it would get a free monument. So I can settle but not sure if I should. I have artillery and gatling guns so I think the game is basically over if I can land a successful assault on the other continent. I have no navy. Turn is 220.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

No point settling cities for the sake of soaking up empty space. Build a navy and find that missing continent (by turn 200 you should already have found it, or they should have found you). If you need to plant a city as a beachhead, OK, but with the right invasion force you can use a conquered city as your beachhead.

3. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Only if you rush-purchase all the science buildings, but if you are going to do that then just take one of the enemies cities and rush-purchase them, that way you get a decent sized population to support it.

So no, probably not worth it.

4. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Yeah I was thinking I probably shouldn't. I didnt research astronomy until later because I had no coastal cities. Map was fractal, so wasn't sure what to expect and didnt prioritize founding one. I ended up annexing Madrid to build a caravel. Besides that, I had plenty of civs on my continent to keep me busy. Plus no observatory cities. Not sure why the AI across the ocean doesn't have it yet. I just now met one when I last stopped. I'm guessing I'm the tech leader and the civs that are left are backwards.

5. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

I've founded late cities just for the fun of it. Buy an Aqueduct and a Lighthouse, send food, and watch them grow big in no time at all. ;)

6. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

No need to guess. Check the Demographics screen -- Literacy is at the bottom of the screen.

If you are the tech leader, have some fun with the two remaining civs, including, as Ribannah suggests, founding a city on their continent, rush-buy some food buildings and send multiple food and hammer trade routes, and then use that as a base to wipe them from the face of the map. Like a cat playing with its (soon to be) food.

7. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Guessing cause I'm at work atm and I haven't looked at demographics all game. ;)

Depending, I might do that. Go full on science and growth then nuke them or unleash a herd of GDRs! I really need to move up to immortal. lol

8. darden

darden Chieftain

only if it's a beachhead, has a strategic resource that I've been struggling to get (let's say, it's got the only spawn of coal on the entire globe), or has a world wonder that I really want (fountain of youth)

9. Scarpa

Scarpa Prince

I second this. I'd do it for oil or coal if it was the only way to get it. Or if it was some kind of stupid awesome spot with multiple luxuries and strategic resources on some remote island the AI hadn't found yet, I'd put a city down just to deny them.

10. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

If it were earlier, say ~150 after you've scouted around with Caravels, then I may consider it. Another 100-150 turns is quite a bit of time for that city to actually contribute something, as long as you set it up for success. But 220?

11. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

It would be useful if the location has coal, oil, uranium or aluminum and you are lacking one of those strategic resources. Otherwise probably not worth it. Either way it probably won't have much impact on the outcome of the game. So, you can do it for fun.

12. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

I founded two colonies around turn 200-ish. No room on my continent, so I two city NC'd, and waited. Tradition certainly helped get them up and running, along with some rush buys and a few food trade routes to get them to a decent size. Nottingham had two luxes, some bonus resources and aluminum. It recently struck oil, too. It's position at a wide, 20-tile strait between both continents means it gets a good deal of trade between a few Capitals and City states, fetching a decent 40 gold. My second colony is less valuable, but has coal and plenty of iron. Overall, more than worthwhile.

13. Aldor

Aldor King

Having more cities is always better, except for two things...science penalty and increased culture cost for social policies.

So if happiness allows (and it should by t200), and you aren't concerned too much about social policies, you still have to make sure that the new city grows and gets the important buildings quickly (library, university etc.). It may also be a good idea not only to send a food trade route, but also a production trade route there (these really help to build the basics very quickly)!

A factor to consider can also be if you have already built important national wonders. Another city requires you to build the required buildings there too and increases the cost of the national wonder.

14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

For critical strategic ressources only. Game is almost won by that time.

15. JeSuisNapoleon

JeSuisNapoleon Prince

Playing for domination, planting the city could be the difference between getting the next capitol or not (or getting it easily vs. with difficulty). This assume the city location is strategic in some way. Playing domination, you could use it as a naval base to heal you ships, and airfield to station air units, and a defensive strong point from which to invade. Its especialy nice if you can use a GG to steal land in a beneficial way after planting the city, giving you a stronger and larger foothold in enemy territory, and maybe some free aluminum too.

I have definitly settled after t200 for just such reasons. It does not need to be a nice tall city to be useful, it just needs to be there.

16. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

I am unlucky as all get out at having the late game strategic resources within my borders and, if you are too far in the lead with tech, the city states might have them but not know that they have them. Seems like I'm always having to drop a Settler on Aluminum.

17. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

Only for fun or to hold a strategic position/resource.

18. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Yeah, I do this. Planting a city on that one unclaimed tile near someone's capital allows you to rush-buy bombers. Beats teching and building and transporting carriers. ;-)