Would you take care of yourself?

Would you be your own father?

• Total voters

Kozmos

Jew Detective
Hypothetical situation [Protip: read Fiftys/Perf thread]:

Lets say you were with a girl some time and while you had a good time it ended because of xyz reason. (bad timing, job offers, yadda yadda)

You move on with your life and 2 years later she comes back in your life. With a kid. That is you. She took a sample of your DNA and implanted herself with you through magical alchemical science. Why she did it? For the lulz. (or whatever reason you make up)

Would you tell her to piss off or would you take part in the kids life and be a dad to yourself?

I'd shoot it in the head.

No, I wouldn't take care of it. Maybe some token charity, like I'd do for any estranged friend in need. But not actual fathering.

By the time I need those kidneys, the technology will probably exist to just create them de novo anyway

No, because I can't be a father anyways. I'm female.

That's a pretty good organ farm there. It's in my interest to keep it alive, but I wouldn't father it because I have no obligation to.

I would never want to raise me. I'm a horrible child.

Not what I thought this thread was about. :blush:

Moderator Action: Some serious discussion would be beneficial here, people. Suggestions: ethics of cloning, nature vs. nurture, did the woman "steal" the DNA to make an illegal clone, etc.

Given the sci-fi nature of the premise, I think it's fair to suggest that I artificially age the child, kill it off as a means of faking my own death, and then live off the insurance money.

This thread seems to be asking at least two different questions.

Would I raise "myself" outside of this hypothetical? Sure, I was an alright kid.

Would I happily agree to provide material, emotional, and financial support to some woman that I dated who stole my sperm, made herself pregnant with it, conceived and delivered a child and raised it in unknown conditions for two years before even telling me I was a father?

Uh, hell no. I'd get a DNA test, take her to court, attain custody of the child, send her to prison, and eventually explain to my son that his mom was completely insane.

The whole premise of this thread is that wimmim folk are selfish, sneaky, conniving, sexually manipulative mad scientists. That really doesn't quite match up with my personal experience.

I imagine I'd feel some kind of responsibility to this kid.

I'd get that kid away from Miss Criminal Fruitcake. He deserves better.

The whole premise of this thread is that wimmim folk are selfish, sneaky, conniving, sexually manipulative mad scientists. That really doesn't quite match up with my personal experience.
No it isn't. The premise of this thread is a single woman is.

I will see through the kid's eyes (it's 'me', right?) and throw a knife at my ex-girlfriend while being blindfolded.

Maybe only Valka d'ur will get the reference. Or maybe my mentioning this will be clue enough to other posters.

Moderator Action: Enough violence, guys. Anybody feel up to tackling the "nature vs. nurture" aspects of this?

The reason I suggest nature vs. nurture as a possible discussion point is that the child has your DNA, but won't have your life experiences. So it's basically irrelevant whether or not you were a good kid or a bad kid. This kid isn't you.

Now what?

Not interested in kids. Also not interested in an experiment with such a small sample size.

Not interested in kids.

But that will just mean that the stupid people will rule the earth. Come on man! We need as many children of scientists as possible. Be a mormon and have 8.

Top Bottom