Would you want to know if you were going to die?

whats your job?

slozenger said:
I hate to put it like this... but you ARE going to die.. no two ways about it.

(El_Mac, please dont butt in with longevity etc ;) )

Well, you know what I meant.

Can you prove that I am going to die?

I would like to know, especially how, because then I can prepare for it.

I do intend to live forever, so this shouldn't be a problem.

But yes, I would like to know, and I second Sloz's question that if I knew does that make me (temporarily) immortal?

Kan' Sharuminar said:
I do intend to live forever, so this shouldn't be a problem.

But yes, I would like to know, and I second Sloz's question that if I knew does that make me (temporarily) immortal?

But if knowing you were going to die later does make you, for lack of better words, temporarily immortal, couldn't you argue that you always are? At present time, you are alive, thus, you are not dead. For that present time, that point in time, you will have known you couldn't have died because you are alive. For present time, you are constantly immortal until you die.

Or maybe that's just crap. But, I think there may be something in there.

mind power- with it i can be IMMORTAL!!!!

It's not a question of if, it is a question of when. I would not like to know when I'm going to die, it would only spoil my enjoyment of my last years.

Yep I would

I plan to plan my death.

I will probably live to around one hundred and ten or so and die in bed with my woman.

Accidental death and preventable diseases are for suckers.

I am going to die - and nothing can stop it. What else is there to 'know'? I'm ready... whenever. Whether or not a meteor strikes me as soon as I click "Submit Reply", or whether I become the next Hugh Hefner and live another 100 years... makes no difference. Death is inevitable. Might as well face it, and be ready at all times. What else can you do? Other than be ready...

Plus, when you really think about it, life on this planet isn't all that great anyway. I can't imagine actually 'fearing' leaving it. "Oh no! I want to stay! I want to put up with this horse$#!t for another lifetime!" :lol:

Gimme a break, man. Move on. There's gotta be somethin' better than this.

...and if there isn't... hey, no worries. Just black out, and disappear. Not too tough. What are you missing anyway? You wanna go live on a Mars colony in 200 years? Ohhh... Ahhhh... red sand. Red rocks. Big flippin' deal.

Ah, what can I say... I'm a realist.

Lotus49 said:
I am going to die - and nothing can stop it. What else is there to 'know'? I'm ready... whenever. Whether or not a meteor strikes me as soon as I click "Submit Reply", or whether I become the next Hugh Hefner and live another 100 years... makes no difference. Death is inevitable. Might as well face it, and be ready at all times. What else can you do? Other than be ready...

Plus, when you really think about it, life on this planet isn't all that great anyway. I can't imagine actually 'fearing' leaving it. "Oh no! I want to stay! I want to put up with this horse$#!t for another lifetime!" :lol:

Gimme a break, man. Move on. There's gotta be somethin' better than this.

...and if there isn't... hey, no worries. Just black out, and disappear. Not too tough. What are you missing anyway? You wanna go live on a Mars colony in 200 years? Ohhh... Ahhhh... red sand. Red rocks. Big flippin' deal.

Ah, what can I say... I'm a realist.

I'm not saying I won't die, I know I will. I just wanted to know if people would want to know exactly when they were going to die.

And frankly, I don't think life is horse$h!t anyways, I wouldn't mind living it. Mars would be cool.

Death is inevitable. Might as well face it, and be ready at all times. What else can you do? Other than be ready...

How can you be 'ready for death'? Always wearing clean underwear? :) As for 'what else can you do?' - you can take proactive steps to reduce the likelihood of your death.

Can I butt in yet, to point out that death doesn't have to be inevitable?

That preparing for death thing reminded me of a scene from Red Dwarf where Lister has been told he's going to die.

Rimmer: Ah, Lister, what's that [lead pipe] for?
Lister: I'm going out like I came in - screaming and kicking.
Rimmer: You can't whack Death on the head!
Lister: If he comes near me I'm gonna rip his nipples off!

tombeef said:
I'm not saying I won't die, I know I will. I just wanted to know if people would want to know exactly when they were going to die.
Well, the thread title and the question in the OP are "if", not "when" you're going to die. :p

El_Machinae said:
Can I butt in yet, to point out that death doesn't have to be inevitable?
No, you cannot. :p j/k

I don't read immortality literature - just a subscription to SciAm, which talks more about longevity - so I haven't heard of anything that makes death strictly evitable. How would you prevent cancer and similar forms of rot that don't have sufficient reversing processes?

I have some sad news for you. You are going to die. All of you. Now you know.

That aside, I don't really know whether I'd wan't to know if I had, say, a year left. On one hand it would allow me to really go wild, do a lot of fun stuff, smoke, drink, spend all the money for my education now and so forth, but still it might be hard to enjoy it with death at your doorstep.
Then again, if you didn't know you might make the last year of your life an average year, in which you perhaps studied and worked hard to earn money, money you'd never get to spend.

Kan' Sharuminar said:
That preparing for death thing reminded me of a scene from Red Dwarf where Lister has been told he's going to die.

You're right, I really meant there to be a smiley there. I'd edit one in.

Yer i;'d like to know, id stop wasting my time planning for the future and go out and have more fun than what im having! :)

BCLG100 said:
Yer i;'d like to know, id stop wasting my time planning for the future and go out and have more fun than what im having! :)

Why not go out and have more fun anyway, regardless of knowing when you're going to die?

Top Bottom