Would you want to know more about Leoreth?

Nah, I'm not against trying it, but it's just an obstacle that I need to overcome to become interested.

"If you look at most of the AI
Code:
 in Civ 4, it's really just High School programming" - [URL="https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/thinking-machines"]Soren Johnson[/URL] :lol:

This might have been answered before, so sorry if i'm asking a repeat.

I recently read that there are varying dialects of German based on what part of the country you're in (Low German in the North, High German in the south, etc).

Which dialect are you closest to?

It's a bit more complicated than that: you also have Standard German, which started out basically as a lingua franca of the German dialects and is used for written German and has a similar role as Received Pronounciation has in English. Depending on your age and region, you usually grow up speaking Standard German instead of any particular regional dialect.

This is even more so the case in northern Germany where I grew up. The local Low German dialect is in fact in danger of dying out (my parents still speak it - in fact my mother did not speak any Standard German until elementary school - but I can only understand it). For most of these people, their Standard German is still accented depending on their local dialect. However, since Standard German pronounciation is based on the Hannoverian dialect which is influential where I'm from, I basically speak "perfect" Standard German.*

* except that often /pf/ becomes /f/ and /ug/ becomes /ux/ at the end of the word.

If you could dictate a government, how would you structure it? You could keep yourself as supreme ruler or just found it. You can hypothetically make any condition, too.

Three-years-ago me would maybe be motivated to write a lengthy essay about that. Current me can only be bothered to say "meh".

I think I've become averse to the idea that there is some ideal way of how things should work that is supposed to be brought about in some revolutionary fashion. Political institutions are the product of a gradual social process, and even though I almost constantly find myself frustrated at the speed of it I think that is for the better.

Let's go at it from another angle: if your country could be ruled by a fictional person, who would it be?

I've always been fond of Havelock Vetinari in that regard. A benevolent and competent dictator is one of the best forms of government one can think of. Trouble is just guaranteeing these two attributes on someone you'll have trouble removing once in power ^^

Tywin Lannister

Isn't that already the case ?

Sorry I'll show myself the door.

Germany is ruled by Olenna Tyrell. Now that I'm writing this I'm amazed by how accurate that is.

France is ruled by Edmure Tully.

Edmure “I was not in the castle. I’d crossed the Tumblestone to, ah...”

Catelyn “You were whoring or wenching.”

Edmure gets all the girls as well :)

It's another comparison that is surprisingly apt.

Germany is ruled by Olenna Tyrell. Now that I'm writing this I'm amazed by how accurate that is.

And the guy she threw in with to seize power - Renly and Westerwelle respectively - are both gay.

And both of them turned out to be mostly incompetent despite their posturing, and the whole affair was a massive failure.

"Mutti of Thorns" :lol:

Haha, the article even mentions April Fool's in the end.

I've gotten into the habit of reading the conclusion of every article I skim.

Top Bottom