Wow. Do they even aim for subtlety in deceit anymore?

Trajan12

Deity
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/16/fox-news-fundamentals/

This afternoon, Fox News’s Martha MacCallum introduced a segment highlighting Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Christina Romer’s claim yesterday that the “fundamentals of the economy are sound.” “After weeks of economic doom and gloom, the Obama administration is now singing a slightly different tune,” MacCallum said.

She then played clips of Romer and other administration officials making seemingly positive comments about the current state of the economy. One of the clips was of Vice President Biden saying, “The fundamentals of the economy are strong!” After the segment, MacCallum said, “All right, well the mantra for the weekend is clear, looking at what was said over the course of the shows on Sunday.” Watch it:

But the clip of Biden seemingly making a recent remark about the strength of the economy is grossly inaccurate. The Biden statement was actually from last September — during the presidential campaign — when he was quoting Sen. John McCain (R-AZ). Here’s what Biden really said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that’s why John McCain could say with a straight face as recently as this morning and this is a quote, “the fundamentals of the economy are strong.” That’s what John said. He says that “We’ve made great progress economically in the Bush years.”

Watch it:

No matter what your affiliation, what another news agency has done wrong, or what you think about FOX, no one here can say with a straight face that this is not shameful.

I wonder if FOX is going to hire Peter Arnett.

Before pointing the finger in some other direction, I would be content if you could just say that "What Fox news did here was wrong!'. Do you have to turn every incidence of a person or organization doing something wrong into a counter accusation at another person or organization doing something wrong?

I'll help you out. I'll even say that there are journalists with Liberal politics have lied and outright slandered their opposition. Now can you do the same?

No matter what your affiliation, what another news agency has done wrong, or what you think about FOX, no one here can say with a straight face that this is not shameful.

Shut up!

I wonder if FOX is going to hire Peter Arnett.

No, I think Arnett is way too truthful and honest to ever have a job at Fox "News".

Fox News is a joke, has been a joke, always will be a joke.

I just hope they don't try to hide it from us anymore. If they wanna do propaganda, get on the GOP commission payroll and just come out of the closet, for chrissakes.

Hey, if Fox News can pull quotes out of context, I can do that for my papers too! :)

this is pretty sad, really.

Fox News is a joke, has been a joke, always will be a joke.

I just hope they don't try to hide it from us anymore. If they wanna do propaganda, get on the GOP commission payroll and just come out of the closet, for chrissakes.

Please, whats the differnece between Fox and any other station? None of them are independent. They're all bias.

Here is CNN's try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6MEr8-S8Oc

Before pointing the finger in some other direction, I would be content if you could just say that "What Fox news did here was wrong!'.
First, I don't watch FOX News (or any TV news, as I've said many times before.)

Second, how do I know that ThinkProgress didn't doctor that video anyway? If FOX, etc. will all do it, why is ThinkProgress immune from such an accusation? I'll believe it when I see it on my actual TV screen, not from a third party "watchdog" group.

First, I don't watch FOX News (or any TV news, as I've said many times before.)

Second, how do I know that ThinkProgress didn't doctor that video anyway? If FOX, etc. will all do it, why is ThinkProgress immune from such an accusation? I'll believe it when I see it on my actual TV screen, not from a third party "watchdog" group.

...because you can view the videos right there? :rolleyes: Your tu quoques are utterly irrelevant.

Second of all, you missed his point - assume for the sake of this hypothetical that Fox did, in fact, deceive as described on the OP. Will you admit that you would condemn such a practice?

That is some good stuff.

As long as people read "thinkprogress", why bother? It's basically the same thing as WorldNetDaily.

The irony, oh... the irony. It hurts.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/16/fox-news-fundamentals/

It's not shameful at all. :scan: <--- as close as I could get to a "straight face" smiley

Biden was right in September, and he's right today. The fundamentals of the economy are sound. The reason we're having problems is because investors are scared to invest. The problems that cropped up shortly after the election were problems that have always existed in every economy: risk is everywhere. It can be reduced, but not eliminated. Right now that risk has a lot of publicity, and all of you should know that publicity is more important to humans than substance.

Edit: Regarding Fox News--in the last few weeks, CNN has been presenting a lot of the VERY SAME right-wing stuff Fox News has been presenting, such as segments about "Free Speech Under Attack" and the loss of Americans' gun rights.

As long as people read "thinkprogress", why bother? It's basically the samething as WorldNetDaily.

The irony, oh... the irony.

Do you have anything more substantial to say other than a tu quoque?

Are you okay with deceit then or something?

...because you can view the videos right there? :rolleyes:
Oh, yeah, because once a video is put on computers, it can't ever be altered. :rolleyes:

Second of all, you missed his point - assume for the sake of this hypothetical that Fox did, in fact, deceive as described on the OP. Will you admit that you would condemn such a practice?
What for? I've already said that I don't watch FOX and I'm not defending them. If this was intentional, then yes, it was wrong. If it was unintentional, then they should reprimand the dope that did the video editing.

But what is everyone else doing? Lambasting FOX as though this was intentional and frequent, I imagine neither of which is actually the case.

No one cares that other "News" organizations do the same thing. We know that. What we're asking is for you to stop turning the subject from Fox to someone else, address the issue AT HAND, and say that this is bad.

EDIT: Not addressed to the post directly above; directed at earlier posts.

No one cares that other "News" organizations do the same thing. We know that. What we're asking is for you to stop turning the subject from Fox to someone else, address the issue AT HAND, and say that this is bad.
I want to know why standing lockstep in agreement with you is the most important issue at hand here.

Top Bottom