Wow! Does that hp make a heck of a difference!

rcoutme

Emperor
I was just playing around with the combat calculator
( http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3combatcalc.html) and what a difference a hp makes!

A warrior vs a warrior on grass/plains etc. Reg vs Reg is 45.6% Vet vs Reg is 61.1% (for the attacker to win). This goes on and on. I will have to relook at the war elephant, that sucker is really, really powerful.

For instance, a regular musketman fortified in the plains (includes unwalled town of <7) will win against a regular knight (when the musketman is defending, of course) 63.8% of the time (Knight has 36.3% win chance), the regular Indian War Elephant (attacker) reverses the odds to 50.9% attacker wins and 49.1% defender wins.

BTW everyone, the combat calculator does not add the extra hp so you have to do it manually. One more thing, It lists the wrong bonus vs barbarians for C3C (it was probably made with PTW and I did not check the bonuses listed there).

Yep, an extra hp is a pretty big difference. Boosting a unit's hp from 4 to 5 (a veteran with an extra hp) increases the unit's total strength by 25%. The difference is even bigger for a regular unit, since a boost form 3 to 4 hp is 33%. But the difference is only 20% for elites.

In effect, a veteran War Elephant is equal to a 4 hp unit with 5 attack, and 3.75 defense. Not bad for a unit that doesn't cost any extra and requires no resources. Out of all the knight UUs, it has the best attack, and its defense is almost as good as the Samurai.

I agree, the importance of 1 HP more is often overlooked. This makes the War Elephant perhaps one of the most underestimated UU's. Because many people still do not know they got +1 hp in Conquests.

a 15 HP spearman army against a regular tank in open grasslands while unfortified is 33% for the spearman and 66% for the tank. Agsint a conscript tank, the tank only has 40.8%. you don't even want to know 1 hp...

Longasc said:
I agree, the importance of 1 HP more is often overlooked. This makes the War Elephant perhaps one of the most underestimated UU's. Because many people still do not know they got +1 hp in Conquests.

Just discovered that in my last game. Played India for the first time in Conquests. War Elephants are very powerful. I only needed a couple to dominate a continent. And with resources being so scarce in Conquests, it make the War Elephant even more appealing.

I thought my eyes were fooling me... 6 HP's for an elite. :wow:

I had an army filled with elite War Elephants... total of 18 HP! :D

Is there any other units with an extra HP? :confused:

Yep, ancient cavalry from the temple of zeus

I had no idea hp points made such a difference... Has anyone tried an hp based combat system instead of the standard def/off point based system? That seems more reliable to me, in this case.

ancient cavalry and loads in the conquests... they're the only ones i know of, and i didn't know war elephants had an extra hp... depending on what traits india is i may be them next..

Wasn't the extra HP for the Ancient Cavalry removed with the 1.22 patch? I know it was weakened in that patch, but I use 1.15 and haven't installed it yet.

Smellincoffee said:
Wasn't the extra HP for the Ancient Cavalry removed with the 1.22 patch? I know it was weakened in that patch, but I use 1.15 and haven't installed it yet.

No, it still has the extra Hp in 1.22.

What about the Crusaders? Don't they have an extra HP? I can't remember, I've only built the Knights Templar Wonder once since I've gotten Conquests.

After I finish my game with Korea -- I wanted to see their UU -- I'll probably try out a game with the Indians.

- Rep.

Smellincoffee said:

AFAIK, it was only weakened for multiplayer by reducing its defense to 1.

In the ROR conquests all legions and the Carthagian Elephants receive a bnous hp, in the Napoleonic Conquests the elite infantry units of the nations.

Top Bottom