Wow i suck

SicilyGuy

Chieftain
this is a thread i'm starting about games i've played where i'v been completely obliterated. feel free for anyone else to post stories of defeat and shame if you want.

my first story is one of the first games i ever played. i got the original civ3 for christmas when i was in 4th grade, so i was really excited and put the game in, started it up, and played a game. i played as greece, and put it on some rediculously high level like sid or emperor...

anyway i thought i would be good at it so i started playing. i didn't know that settlers made new cities or workers built roads, but instead i kept building hoplite over and over again, even until the middle ages.

around 500 AD i declared war on england, thinking i could win. i had just athens as a city, they had something like 25 cities. i think i had an embassy in russia and (somehow) they agreed to be my ally against england,but i literally sent ten hoplite in, they were all slayed by the english musketmen without one single english injury, and the english moved in on athens which was unguarded, razed it and i lost...i know i was really dumb but i was too stubourn to read the manual.

:p

When I first started, I played as Germany. I though the opposite of you. I only built settlers and workers, assuming I'd only need to build an army in times of war.

Hammurabbi attacked, starting off a long a strained relationship between him and me (to this very day, where I am now an emperor level player). I lost 3 cities, got annoyed, and quit.

I recall perhaps my second game (about 3 weeks ago) involved me preparing for a massive land invasion of Babylon, south of me. I build a line of forts along the border, and spent about 40 turns preparing for was. Once I have 14 forts built up, two defenders in each, and about 30 attacking units I moved forward against the Babs. Their cities fell like wheat, and I was left with a line of 14 forts and 28 useless defenders in the middle of my now expanded territory, a massive gap in tech because I had poured everything into my attack, and a realisation that the cities I had captured were basically useless to me.

In another game I had got to the modern age and was second of the civs. I was building masses of mech infantry and was about to lay seige to the American border (they were my biggest rival) to secure some vital resources. Just before the attack a dialog popped up saying I had built the UN (goddam governors and me not paying attention). Having no idea what the UN was for in the game, I immediately agreed to an election. Oh, I lost the game. What just happened. About 4 hours of prep for a might world war, and I lost the game by allowing a UN vote. Should have read the manual.

I did this yesaterday:

I was playing as Germnay, I had a small military, and Declarec war on England/Rome/Ukraine/Poland/Greece and Russia, needless to say, withen 10 turns, they conquered my 4 cities(with heavy losses I might add, like 5 warrior's per spearman) or 3 archer's per warrior.

Way back when I was new to Civ3, I played a game as the Persians. Things were peaceful until the Industrial ages when war broke out between nearly every nation. I was drawn into war with my southern neighbor the Zulus. I built up a bunch of Cavalry and attacked their closest city. I watched in disbelief as all of my Cavalry died one after the other. Why weren't my attacks doing anything?!

It was only after the slaughter that I actually bothered to look at the enemy's defenses. The Zulu city had Infantry fortified on hill. No wonder my Cavalry couldn't lay a finger on that city! That sure taught me not to attack blindly anymore!

(I did win that game, but only by Histogram. I sucked too much to get a real victory!)

I have never won a 'Domination' or 'Conquest' victory, but I have conquered a majority of the planet by the time I win culkturely or when time runs out.

In my first game, I built only one spearman per city. Then I kept getting demands from AI's. I left without giving him the tech (to this day I never give AI's free techs - I'll give money or even cities, but never techs) and he declared war. I only got peace when I was down to 3 cities when everyone else had 15 or so. I eventually lost by the buzzer. All on chieftrain :cry:

Elite said:
I have never won a 'Domination' or 'Conquest' victory

I only got my first domination victory yesterday. I felt like a quick game before my tv shows came on, and played on tiny, pagnea, (and regent, my current level). Two civs demanded free techs. I rejected them both, and was in a two front war before 2000 BC! But I had many cities, cranked out immortals, and killed them off by 10 AD. I changed all cities to build a libary (intending to go for space race, I usually don't like wars although I hate warmonger A.I.'s that declare on my civ). On the next turn, I was told I'd won by domination. :king:

1 time also i played as greece and put like 15 civs on the map, and i had a golden age in 3000 B.C. when my hoplite killed a barbarian or german soldier or something...but after that i wanted more money so i stopped science fudning. years later (in something like 1900AD) i was in the ancient age and the germans launched an ICBM at me...

wow i suck.

Oh, I just remembered something from not too long ago.

I started up a game on Chieftain. I don't remember why exactly - I think I had wanted to test something. But anyway, I built some warriors and sent them out exploring. Didn't put any of them in my city because, hey, it's only Chieftain. What do I have to worry about? Then the Ottomans came and sneak-attacked my empty city about 3500 BC! I lost on Chieftain!

Chieftain

I started this game like 1 year ago. I attacked Greece in the Middle Ages when they wee pissing me off by stealing all good city spots. Well, after this semi-disastousous war. (I had captured 5 cities and killed off about a quarter of his army for 2 of my cities and about half of my army) Well, I ended the war after he captured my border city which where it was a chokepoint. (The small strip of crossing, which was 1 tile big.) Afterwards, the Japenese suddenly declared war the next turn because I accidently clicked yes to declare war. Suddenly, 20 calvary and like 50 samuri came after my sorry butt. Egypt suddenly signed an alliance and killed my southern border. I captured a Japenese city far off in the sea, but then, his damn transport with 2 calvary landed and killed the longbowman there. I lost in I think 1300+. A.D

A while back, right when I had started playing, I noticed that the AI will almost never accept a city (unless its a peace treaty or gift), so I thought they must be worthless, and if I demanded them I would get them free, like small amounts of gold or workers. So I go up to the Russians, and demand Kiev, and Boulogne from the French. They both declare war on me and leave me with Persepolis and a few other cities. Eventually I work my way up the histograph, and choose to retire, thinking the leader of the game at the time (me, somehow) would win. That is how I got my first (and last) loss on chieftain.

On one of my first games i ended up on a penisula with the end blocked by a mountain chain. Thinking that units couldn't traverse mountains I completely ingnored my military and happily built away. Therefore I was screwed when a large stack of Japanese Knights suddenly arrived. I was wiped out in less than 10 turns.

When I began playing civ, I didn't know that improvements affected the productivity of the cities as greatly as they do. So roads were for nothing more than connecting cities and resources. I was happily building a huge military on my own big island, with chariots and phalanxes and catapults, and Russia shows up with submarines off my coast. They were unfriendly with me, and ate my empire for lunch.

At around the same time, I thought that libraries contributed to unhappiness. (I always seemed to get unhappiness after building one) Of course, this must have been due to my people getting educated and then demanding social change, right?

Do what you want cause a pirate is free!

In my first game ever ( that I completed), I was on cheiftan and way behind in tech. I eventually worked my way up to nukes, and built one. Thinking I was all big and macho, I launched it at my biggest rival, obliterating his capital.

However, the rest of the world had been in the Modern Age for a while (I was paying gold out the wazoo or something...), and had many, many nukes.

I almost cried when my empire turned orange...

lol, I have never been nuked more then once really(though I can't say that for the unfortunet souls that I nuked) I tuned every inch of Russia into a giant pile of radation once(only because I had that many Nukes and the fact they declared war on me when I was modern and they were late in medieval)

I useally leave my opponants in the dust.

Top Bottom