Wow, Indonesia...

What did you expect?
Tile specific civs have always been about luck.

I don't know man, this just keeps happening to me, I was really excited to main The Dutch, but when GK dropped, i just couldn't do it, and once again, Indonesia, I can't wait to main, and they are super cool but their ABILITY is !

I have to main Shoshone.

I don't know man, this just keeps happening to me, I was really excited to main The Dutch, but when GK dropped, i just couldn't do it, and once again, Indonesia, I can't wait to main, and they are super cool but their ABILITY is !

I have to main Shoshone.

You're not supposed to main with them.
A lot of civs are just good at certain areas.
This is why I just go with random map every time.

Some civs just get good all around kits, some don't.
The ones that usually do dominate in whatever area they focus on.

I think that it would be great if you would get your special resources in the first city that you build other than your capital, regardless of its location. This would balance things quite a bit, me thinks, because otherwise Indonesia's UA does seem like a hard nut to crack.

I remember when the first few promotions were revealed (one of them being Ambition) I thought cool, some of them combine a good and a bad thing, to tone the unit in a specific direction - but the fact that some of them are all bad while others seem overpowered (Restlessness? Invulnerability?) is a very bad move imo.

It's a bit of a crapshoot, but only two out of nine promotions are bad, so you'll have ~77% chance to get a good one, and they all look really good. Indonesia's UA looks lackluster and situational, but the UU can give you some extremely strong units (and maybe one or two bad units per game) and the Candi gives a buttload of faith.
Overall I'd say Indonesia looks pretty good, but I won't be able to tell for another week thanks to an unholy alliance between 2K's antediluvian release date policy and my work schedule.

Started out with Indonesia (plan on Shoshone next) and you really have to work to make them work. I can already anticiapte a lot of people won't like them because they are not straight forward like Egypt or Rome. I had a coastal and river start. I wonder if that is the norm or not, but I was glad about the river because of the Candi

Excited to try out Shoshone, they look fun

I wonder, how many Kris Swordsmen with negative promotions will dwell the world.

You have to pay upkeep. They consume an iron ressource. I guess, many of those unfortunate beings will be executed as soon as their flaw becomes visable. Their only chance to survive migth be the fact that, at this time period, units take quite a while to be produced.

Well, we'll see...

They look pretty situational, but tough in those situations. But, being a European, I'll have to reserve my judgement until Friday.

Surely it would be better to just use them as speed bumps? If all you're going to do is delete the unit anyway you may as well at least damage an enemy with it before it croaks.

I... I thought it was on a different island. Since this "different continent" thing doesn't even make sense historically, I suppose they decided it was overpowered during testing? I thought it was already a little lacklustre with just islands.

They don't even have any power to help them discover new continents quicker do they?

Worst civ in the game? I doubt it. Worst new civ in BNW? Maybe.

I heard off-hand that the Kris Swordsman can get negative random promotions, can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Yes, they do, although the negatives seem mild compared with the positives - the only one I rolled gave my swordsmen (or rifleman, as he then was) a penalty in enemy territory, hardly comparable to 50 health from killing a unit or blitz with extra movement.

I found happiness somewhat hard to come by on the map I rolled - when I was finally able to settle away from my continent the luxuries were very helpful, but it took a while because the closest landmasses of any size were just big enough for one city, and occupied by city-states. I think there may be a mistake in thinking of the UA as a necessarily an early-game advantage; when it comes into its own it will probably give you more than, say, the Dutch. I also wasn't in a position where I could trade the luxuries (duel map), and hence take advantage of having two of each.

Yes, they do, although the negatives seem mild compared with the positives - the only one I rolled gave my swordsmen (or rifleman, as he then was) a penalty in enemy territory, hardly comparable to 50 health from killing a unit or blitz with extra movement.

EVIL SPIRITS -10% penalty when attacking. -30% penalty when defending

Well thats not nice "promotion" to have.

I... I thought it was on a different island. Since this "different continent" thing doesn't even make sense historically, I suppose they decided it was overpowered during testing? I thought it was already a little lacklustre with just islands.

They don't even have any power to help them discover new continents quicker do they?

Civ calls any landmass a "continent". Don't worry, you get the bonus if you settle on anything from a 1 tile island upwards - but generally you'll want bigger areas. My smallest "continent" had the city tile, a stone resource I settled on, one ivory, Sri Prada, and no other land at all. At least, my smallest continent with an eligible city - Denpassar quite appropriately ended up on a one-tile island off my coast, but by that time I'd used up all my resource cities.

Different continents = different islands, at least in CiV paraphrasing. An one-tile-island is considered as its's own "continent". So, don't worry! :)

--

Edit: too late - as always...

Since I am European and have to wait to check this, but isn't it enough to just settle on another 'landmass' than the 'landmass' you started on (your capital). I mean regardless of size or distance of the landmass?

Would it really have been too op to just give them their first resource with their capital? 4 Separate landmasses seems pretty restrictive. No one could have bought that lux anyway for a while so it would have been purely a little bonus happiness.

Surely it would be better to just use them as speed bumps? If all you're going to do is delete the unit anyway you may as well at least damage an enemy with it before it croaks.

But disbanding units in your territory gives you gold.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

From what I can tell you only need 1 "other" continent...a different one from where Indonesia started on. You can build all 3 cities on that other continent and still get the 3 unique luxuries. So you don't really have to find 4 seperate landmasses.

Top Bottom