1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow is about all I can say

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ltccone, Mar 12, 2017.

1. ltccone

ltccone Chieftain

I'm playing as Australia on the Earth map, and I converted an English city in Asia to my religion. IMMEDIATELY Montezuma gets mad and complained that I converted HIS city. Not only wasn't it HIS city, he didn't even have a city outside of the Americas.

He then promptly denounces me. He STILL denounces me for it.

What gives here?

2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Did you passively convert one of his cities?

3. ltccone

ltccone Chieftain

No; but he converted one of mine in America. And his complaint came immediately after I converted Birmingham.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Was it his religion before you converted it?
    I have noticed this behaviour

nzcamel likes this.
  5. ltccone

ltccone Chieftain

Montezuma's religion is Protestant. England's religion is Taoism, but Birmingham had no religion when I converted it to Catholicism.

6. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

It's Montezuma.

What were you expecting?

If the answer to that is anyting else than "I'll have to wipe him out at some point", you still have to learn.

7. ltccone

ltccone Chieftain

He shouldn't care that someone else on another continent had their city converted, much less claim it was his.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

He shouldn't, but he's Montezuma.

plus, borad, Larsenex and 5 others like this.
  9. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I had this happen in a game as well. I converted a Greek city (no religion) and half way around the world America (Protestant) and Arabia (Muslim) both denounce me for converting their cities.

10. ltccone

ltccone Chieftain

It's got to be a bug then.

11. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

12. Ovidious

Ovidious Chieftain

I sometimes wonder if there is rhyme or reason to the way denouncements work. I get attacked by an AI, defend myself, and upon taking one city from the attacker, I get denounced as a warmonger by nearly everyone. ohhhkay, I'll show you warmonger...

I'm such a newbie at this version of Civ, I've still got to figure out the religion thing. I've been pretty much ignoring that for now until I learn the game more.

13. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

AI's denounce one another too for that. They denounce you for taking a city (and keeping it) because it means you've become the agressor now.

14. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Problem is they continue to denounce for "occupying" a city they have ceded. What's the purpose of ceding then? So they hate you a little less? :think:

That can't be intended.

15. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Chieftain

Well, the point of ceding is that the city can grow population and is not stuck in the occupied status. The AI is still probably unhappy about having to cede the city (or be eliminated). They still want the city they have built to be theirs. If you care about warmonger penalties you should return the city once the war is over.

c4c6 likes this.
  16. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

It can very well be. Just because a country surrenders, doesn't mean they don't view the city as "theirs" anymore, does it?

That said, I do believe that after a certain time (say, 100 turns) the city should be considered "yours" as if you were the founder.

17. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Chieftain

Some nations can hold a grudge for a long time. Eventually the way to stop them being unhappy about you holding one of their cities is to hold all their cities, eliminating them from the game. Everyone else will call you warmonger unless you play on continents and conquer your home landmass before discovering the other one. Happened to me once. Ended up friends with everyone on the second continent because they did not know me when I was conquering my continent. I guess for them I was just a happy, peaceful, multi-cultural civ.

4N4C0ND4 likes this.
  18. Victoria

Maybe I Write a diplomacy guide.
    Denouncements will give them +3 with other civs that hate you and is also a way to keep a way to war open and diplomacy closed a bit. They are rather annoyed that you occupy their city I think its -12 for that.
    Its much better if you can build some positives up first then stiff someone.
    Also the more happy they are with you the better the deal, hence when they are rsally annoyed they ask for bribes.
    These bribes are at best +10 and decay 1 point a turn so are very short term, ideally used early in the game.

After the patch I think they halved warmonger due to whiners that do not use diplomacy but sneakily made the decay rate double.

I have had the monty bug also, just today, rather suprising but I always treated him like a lunatic.... He is a pussy when it cones to diplomacy though, just swap your doubkes with him, he loves you and attacks you enemies. if he ever declares on you he is weaker because he looses those luxes.

19. callan

callan Chieftain

That's not how it works. All penalties end once the war is over, regardless of whether the city has been ceded by the original owner.

20. Victoria

Quite a few penalties last after war.
    As I understand it, returning cities will please the owner