Wow, my first game sucks so hard

I picked the shuffle map setting and got what is possibly the worst start ever. I started alone on a large island and 90& of the landmass is tundra with no luxury resources. It's turn 100 and I only have 3 small cities with small population. Because of the sucky start I have barely any economy after all this time and all my cities are unhappy because I have no luxury resources. Also Cesar recently mocked me for not having a large empire, so I could get invaded soon as well. Honestly my whole game so far has been extremely boring because of how painfully slow my civ is advancing.

Here is a screenshot:

Is my gone basically just ruined because of the crappy start?

I picked the shuffle map setting and got what is possibly the worst start ever. I started alone on a large island and 90& of the landmass is tundra with no luxury resources. It's turn 100 and I only have 3 small cities with small population. Because of the sucky start I have barely any economy after all this time and all my cities are unhappy because I have no luxury resources. Also Cesar recently mocked me for not having a large empire, so I could get invaded soon as well. Honestly my whole game so far has been extremely boring because of how painfully slow my civ is advancing.

Here is a screenshot:

Use internal trade routes to grow when you lack food, try getting the Entertainment Complex for amenities when you don't have enough luxuries (I only had one luxury in my whole 4-city first game). Some civics help with that too, like the one with garrisons. You can salvage any terrain with the districts now, so I wouldn't be too quick to give up. The leaders mock a lot, but they rarely act on it.

Well, that's shuffle for you. :D Wouldn't want it any other way.

No. It might have actually done you a favor.

Honestly my whole game so far has been extremely boring

Then start over. The whole point is to enjoy it. If you have a start you are not enjoying, start over.

My first start was Emperor/France on Marathon, and once I realized that France had nothing that excited me, except diplomacy, I restarted as Russia. I saved the France game and will revisit it, but my first few times through I want to play some of the flashier civs. Germany or Egypt will be next I think.

- I know peeps think Russia is boring, but she's not... the Lavra alone is awesome to play with.

I restarted my map a few times using continents and i have settled down on a map I think I like...No crime is starting over for a map you like, its a single player game anyway.

Damn almost 200 turns and some civs are now like 2 eras ahead of me. I am half way through the middle ages and I am still just using mostly warriors because I have literally no iron anywhere in my empire. I have zero strategic and luxury resources in my whole empire.

Don't restart! It's fun to play a challenging position. The AI doesn't get to restart. :)

There's a pretty good spot on the continent north of your capital (the left Tea next to the river). No need to settle in the tundra when you could settle there instead. Just research Sailing, build 2 galleys to explore and get the boost for Shipbuilding, and you're up and running.

Probably late now, but you have tobacco. And what Calouste said, about settling across the channel. That looks like nice land with amenities. You have iron and horses near you, though you would need to settle crap cities for them, which is fine, just try not to grow them so they do not hurt your amenity situation. Also, the tea or dyes to the north, that city location has access to iron. It's a crappy map, but I guess that can be expected from a random setting.

That capital start is actually pretty good. Tundra is excellent for districts and wonders.
Frankfurt should have been built in the tundra, so as to not waste grassland.
Cologne would have been better where the trader is- still gets a sheep, gets the copper and a deer (i think) and functions as a canal city.
The river inlet across the sea seems pretty good for what shows so far.

The big problem will be barbarians in the southern parts of the island. Pretty much have to station troops out their to give sight.

Cold but not to bad. You have decent amount of production and that is more important then food, river woods are really good then you get lumbermills.

You can build districts on plain thundra as districts are no worse on thundra then anything else.

If you have the thundra pathernon you can produce loads of faith in that game.

Top Bottom