wow, the AI leaders really are different

minger

Warlord
I finally took a look at the XML files concerning each leader and damn, there really ARE a ton of factors into the AI personalities. THe problem is, the XML file is extremely complicated, and right now, when I play civ, the differences are so subtle that I can't use the AI personalities to my advantage.

Right now the only thing I've observed is that Montezuma is crazy, but other than that I don't vary my strategy at all based on who I'm playing with. I WANT to vary my strategy though, especially on tougher levels, but the XML files are too inaccessible for me to understand how to deal with the leaders.

I really wish that the civilopedia, or some advisor popup, or a simple mouse-over popup, or in the [currently bland] diplomacy interactions, they would give you some HINT as to the unique personality of the AI.

From various games, here are a few observations. I'm sure others can come up with more:
Isabella hates heathens
Alexander will attack you if he perceives weakness regardless of your relations
Tokugawa cannot be befriended
Gandhi is generally docile but tech advanced
etc.

I believe there are several other threads on AI personalities that you might want to browse if you want to prepare different strategies based on who you face.

Yeah, Alexander attacked me through Saladin's territory in the game I'm in now... so since Saladin hated me (and still does... but at least I now have 3 of his cities :D) I couldn't attack Alex...

Either way, he's a fallen-behind mess now.

I really like the AI in comparison to the new AI, but they still feel mechanical, and I can't pinpoint why. If I could, I'd mod em up, but I don't know what I feel I should add. I guess I kind of miss their codependancy on lower levels when I was dominating, begging me to sign pacts with them - I could inhabit an entire continent and they are still skeptical of me

hMmm.

suspendinlight said:
Tokugawa cannot be befriended

I was going for a diplo victory one time and Toku had the 3rd largest civ, after me and Ceasar who were the two candidates at the UN. No matter what I did Toku would always abstain from the vote. I switched all my civics to his, switched my religion to his, gave him gold, techs and resources, even agreed to go to war against against a civ he didn't like. He still abstained and then Ceasar built a freakin space ship and I lost.

I hate Tokugawa- nobody should even try to be his friend because he's a big jerk.

Lessee...

Roosevelt is pretty easy to befriend, but he won't actually do anything to help you, so it's largely a wasted effort.

Mansa Musa is a tech whore and, like Roosevelt, is easy to befriend but can't ever be relied on to help you out.

Julius Caesar will attack if you get in the way of his expansion plans. Sort of like "It's nothing personal, but you have that city site, and I want it, so I'm going to take it."

If you have a strong military, Capac's a nice enough guy, and will actually put some effort into his side of a friendship (unlike Mansa Musa). If you have a weak military though...well...he's reported to have a hell of an opportunistic streak.

Top Bottom