Wow.. the odds..

Cannibal Corpse

Chieftain
Just had a 45 Attack Tank Army lose to fortified Archers at 37.5.. this game has some insanely ******ed moments..

Just had a 45 Attack Tank Army lose to fortified Archers at 37.5.. this game has some insanely ******ed moments..

Um that isn't a big upset at all 45 attack losing to 37.5 is a very minor upset, and no big deal at all. Also its obvious you weren't smart enough to use spies to take the defensive fortification bonus off the archer army.

Lol dude, understand the fact this should be an instant win, I'm trying to explain this game is illogical, why should i waste my time, when logically and assuming my tanks should win against archers

I think there wouldn't be as many "Ancient units defeated my modern units!!!!" complaints if the game simply renamed the units to match the time era they are currently in and kept their overall skill value. So in 1950 the archers would no longer be called archers, but some 1950 equivalent, like Molotov cocktail throwers or something :) :) :)

Yeah, those archers had just over 83% of the power of that tank army and in the game I've lost many even odds fights. It happens. Bring enough units to lose 1/3 and still take the city.

Also, even after the defensive bonus is removed, does it seem to anyone else that defenders (you or the AI) seem more likely to prevail in close matches? The odds seem weighted.

Yeah i see it a lot, i lost a lot to the AI in close matches, and even not close matches

i hate this kind of complaint. the game wouldnt be fun if you had to rush to tanks because a tank can over run every other unit and can only be defeated by orther tanks,bombers, and artillery. also who would u rather be. a driver of a tank in a 3 tank squad moving to attack a city or a 9 person archer group thats already set up defense and knows your coming. not like these battles are fought on a level surface with no obstructions. a archer in a city could hide till you got close and jump on your tank and set a fire on the top of it and burn you out. jus sayin :rolleyes:

I sent nine spies across the sea yesterday to take on the English. They were on a Cruiser fleet, I think it was. 18/12, I think. Expected it to be safe (I should have protected it more, I know). Ran into an English fleet with the same numbers, I think it was. I decided to cheat at this point .... I saved the game with the intention of re-doing the battle if I lost. I lost a battle I had an 18-12 advantage on. That's fine--sixty percent odds are not 100 percent.

I re-loaded a save. I lost. I re-loaded the save. I lost. I re-loaded the save. I lost. I did this TEN TIMES before giving up and just running away from the sea battle.

In Civ IV, there was an Options setting where you could re-set the "odds machine" if you re-loaded the game, instead of just getting the same result over and over. Wonder if that exists in this game.

Addendum: The reason I "cheated" was because I knew this could be the turning point of the game. My 9 spies (three x 3) landed in England, and stole a total of about 1,400 gold. It was the key in my Economic victory!

I re-loaded a save. I lost. I re-loaded the save. I lost. I re-loaded the save. I lost. I did this TEN TIMES before giving up and just running away from the sea battle.

As far as I know, there is no random seed on reload, so you'll get the same battle results no matter how many times you reload.

Random seed.... that's it! Could not remember what that was called.

Yeh there is no random seed on reload in civ rev.

The only way you can get a different outcome in a battle after a reload is by letting a) another turn go by or b) going to a save a turn or 2 before the battle and doing something (s) differently then you did the first time.

Neither of these guarantee a different battle outcome (you may still lose), but it will give you a new seed upon which the battle outcome is decided.

You have to wait a turn for better results.

Also, Cannibal Corpse, have you played Brothers in Arms for the DS? You can run up to a Tank and dump a grenade inside. Just cause their Archers don't mean they can't use grenade does it?

I love the idea of Molotov Cocktail Thrower.

Just had a tank army with att 69 lose to a weakened rifleman army with a def of 22...

45 vs 37.5 should be more or less a 60% chance of winning. Nothing surprising if you lost. Forget about the tank vs archer image and focus on the 45 strength unit vs a 37.5 strength unit. That's what really matters.

Lol dude, understand the fact this should be an instant win

Why? I presume that for an archer army to be 37.5 they must have had a lot of upgrades. Base defense is 6, veteran makes 9, engineer makes 15, leadership 21, city walls 27, fortifications 33, great general 36...getting close, I guess.

So what you're saying is that this noobtastic tank army rolls up against the most badass archer army in the history of the world. This army knows the city it's defending in and out, they shoot arrows with deadlier accuracy than any sniper on the planet, and they're led by a general with expertise in military strategy...against a few measly tanks w/ only a veteran upgrade. Why should this be an auto-win? The archer army is pretty . .. .. .. .ing deadly, they probably have a few more tricks up their sleeve than just shooting bronze-tipped arrows to harmlessly bounce off tank armor.

first, in the patch, if your units are two techs higher than the other unit, it should be an automatic win (cruiser vs galley)

second, how would an archer get a grenade, and an archer couldn't hide from tanks, the tanks would blow up the city

first, in the patch, if your units are two techs higher than the other unit, it should be an automatic win (cruiser vs galley)

second, how would an archer get a grenade, and an archer couldn't hide from tanks, the tanks would blow up the city

Your first idea is just plain wrong. It would make obsolete units worthless and make the germans (automatic upgrades for elites) and leo's workshop even more powerful. As it stands now, obsolete units remain useful as it stands now and it is as it should be for game balance.

For your second point, there's plenty of people today who participate in archery who could get a grenade, or a molotov cocktail, if they so chose.

Lol dude, understand the fact this should be an instant win, I'm trying to explain this game is illogical, why should i waste my time, when logically and assuming my tanks should win against archers

Hmmm maybe you were an advisor to Benito Mussolini in a previous life...ultimately, the Italians managed to defeat the Ethiopians as well they should have with tanks against spears however, the Ethiopians did win a few battles...funny how tanks become a lot less effective once they throw a track and cannot move...also funny how jamming objects between the track and gears can make the track come off...

Of course, logically, that could never happen in real life....maybe in a game though...

Top Bottom