1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Writer gives too little culture?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MarshalN, Jul 28, 2013.

1. MarshalN

MarshalN Prince

I find the secondary function of a writer - giving culture - to be extremely low value. The first writer you get probably grants you about 250-300 culture, at least from the games I've played so far. That's a pathetic amount, maybe 10 turns worth. Should it be buffed or reworked?

This is compared to the tourism bomb that musicians eventually give you, or artists who give you golden ages. Writer just doesn't seem to cut it for me.

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

For all GP abilities, the upfront/all at once ones are mostly only worthwhile in the later game.

3. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I don't see the problem, this is exactly the same as with musicians and scientists. Musicians only give "maybe 10 turns worth" of tourism, scientists "maybe 10 turns worth" of research.

4. VisageTDI

VisageTDI Warlord

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

5. MarshalN

MarshalN Prince

But the actual value of late game culture is.... well, not exactly high. At least from my experience so far. A late game golden age is worth quite a bit, potentially. And we all know about tourism bombs.

6. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Well it can be - if you save say 2 of them and buy another with faith, as soon as you hit ideologies you could time it so say you get like 5 policies in the ideology of your choice right away [2 From say the free bonus, 1 from natural, and 2 from writers]

7. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

That "maybe" is there for a reason, you know.

8. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

You could've write "Eight" in letters you know.

9. de_baser

de_baser Warlord

Tourism bombs are only 10x your tourism at time of musician's birth.
    There should be a similar algorithm for the treatise function, but it can yield quite a lot late game.

I still wouldn't use it if it wasn't to rush a SP for some particular reason. May come in handy to finish a tree earlier for synergies or the like.

10. limluigi

limluigi Chieftain

I have had a different experience though. In End Game (About the time I am in the Industrial Era) 1 writer almost equals 1 social policy (at Modern or so I think it was 5k of culture but I might be remembering wrong)

11. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

That's not true, I've seen the tourism strength of musicians increase with time. And there is a similar algorithm for the treatise, it works not-too-differently from the tourism bomb and scientist bulbing, like I stated earlier.

12. VisageTDI

VisageTDI Warlord

Incorrect. GM's strength is determined at his "birth" and doesn't change over time. You can see it ingame as well, if you hover the mouse over his "strength".

13. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I've seen it happen, slowly but surely. They're certainly behind new Great Musicians in strength but their strength grows slowly.

14. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Also if you win one of the international projects that gives +100% culture, you might want to consider buying a few faith based great writers/saving a few for the +100% culture to maximize quickly speeding through the policies

15. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

If anything I actually was surprised at how strong they are. You can almost always get a SP out of one, which is quite a lot of culture!

16. KillingMeSoftly

KillingMeSoftly Warlord

So far I've not found a use for the Treatise ability in my games. I seem to always have open Great Writing slots so I simply go for the Tourism instead.

Faith-buying late-game Great Writers to rush through Ideology tenets isn't something I'd considered. Good idea! I'll have to remember this when I pick up Aesthetics.

17. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

hm, 2 tourism per turn or ~7000 culture?
    easy choice for me.

obviously it depends on the time you get him.

18. IkM

IkM King

200+ culture in late era is totally useless. never used it. tourism far better option, IMO.

19. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Even if that 200+ is more like 2000, a fast lane ticket to getting third level ideology tenets?

No, it's not useless.

20. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

I was producing 7000+ Culture Political Treatise. Useless? Nay far from it. Produce GW early to mid-late game. In the Late game, just go full assault on Political Treatise especially with the 100% World Fair (or is games?) bonus.