1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Wrong" CD-Rom problem continues

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by Mungaf, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Mungaf

Mungaf TET 2.0 won't be out :(

I got the CD-Rom/Mislabeled CD's error and put in 1 just like the troubleshooter said, but the error still shows up. What am I doing wrong?

2. Karde

Karde Chieftain

i have the same problem, i have a feeling it is because i have had daemon tools and alchohol 120% on my system before, i have removed all traces that i could find, but who can really tell right?

i thiink i need to reinstall windows, tabarnak

3. Mungaf

Mungaf TET 2.0 won't be out :(

Not to be rude, but I don't think I quite understand what you're getting at. What are Daemon Tools and what does Alcohol 120% mean?

4. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

AFAIK, both are programs to create CD-images with.

5. xalita

xalita Chieftain

:cry: i have the problem : cannot locate the cd rom but you tell to xange the cd but the copy i have is dvd and i can`t xange the cds.
    help me.

6. didaskalia7

didaskalia7 Nightmare Proportions

I have the same problem. I have not noticed any replies with help, can anybody help me?
    I excede all specs, defrag, cleared out all temp folders, etc. etc.
    In fact, when I first clicked to start CIV4, my CIV 3 load screen came up.
    I uninstalled and cleaned the hard drive, no help. I just spent a bunch of cash on this game, now I cant get it to even start!!:cry: :cry: :cry:
    Please, can anybody help?????:sad: :sad:

7. Knight451

Knight451 Chieftain

I would check to see where the shortcut on the desktop is pointing to. If it launched CIV3 I think that could be your problem. Just guessing though.

8. OzViking

OzViking Chieftain

No, it probably doesnt launch Civ 3, instead it shows a Civ3 conquest splash.

I have this problem as well.
    I have the DVD version, and it has worked ok for a couple of days.
    But then all of a sudden it refuses to start, complaining about "wrong cd", and showing a conquest splash.

The only thing I have done on my system is swap mice.

9. foofaspoon

foofaspoon Chieftain

I seem to have a similar problem. I assumed it was something to do with copy protection??

Initially at the end of the install I got a message 'error 1706: No valid source code could be found for product... etc etc' After multiple reinstalling this didn't always occur however. However, I always get the 'wrong CD' message - despite having the DVD (UK). I even disabled my CD drive, but all that did was change the message to insert the correct DVD. I've been running round updating system, drivers etc, but nothing seems to work....

10. Wonderyak

Wonderyak Chieftain

I had the same problem, but was able to load the game from the other CD (install).

11. Shi_no_Kami

Shi_no_Kami Chieftain

I have a similar error. Disk1 opens the Splash, but won't play the Game. Disk2 pops up a Window with Data3 (package file) and does squat. HOWEVER if I have both disks in my two drives the game plays fine. (Except Wonder movies, and bizzare things at the end of the game when you win.)

That is just really weird and in need of some fixing.

12. OzViking

OzViking Chieftain

A possible workaround:
    1. Reinsert DVD.
    2. When DVD autorun menu comes up, click Civ4 icon on desktop. Do not try and start from autorun menu.

This has worked for me, but it might be just a fluke.
    Does this workaround help anyone else?

13. sjss

sjss Chieftain

Similar thing has happened from me. Launch from the disk (double click on disk, not desktop/start-menu/quicklaunch icon), and it runs fine.

I have Daemon Tools does not cause a problem.

Also, one of my CD drives refuses to play the game (I have the CD-ROM version, not DVD), it gives me CRC errors, which happens on other games too. So, it might also be a drive problem.

14. foofaspoon

foofaspoon Chieftain

I tried OzViking and sjss's suggestion but to no avail... I've tried pretty much all avenues for loading the game and still get the same message :(

15. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

I have the UK DVD version, I do NOT have CloneCD, Alcohol, Daemon Tools or anything I can think of that SafeDisc should object to. I've even removed my memory card reader just in case it objects to that. It still gives me the Insert correct CD and try again message :cry:

I only have 1 DVD drive (a reader, drive R) the other is a CD Writer (drive W) that uses the old Adaptec v4.

I was so looking forward to playing this game, and expected the problems to be due to Windows ME, not the copy protection.

16. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

I'm getting confused :crazyeye: here by people reporting both CD and DVD problems in this thread. Makes it hard to answer.

17. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

It's hard finding a thread on anything without search. Take2 support's solution was to either update the firmware on the DVD drive (already the latest) or take the game back to the shop :(

18. ChuckLe

ChuckLe Chieftain

19. ItNoWork

ItNoWork Chieftain

I've seen quite a few posts from UK peeps with identical issues with the DVD (same as I). I am an MCP who builds and runs MS infrastructures - and my computer is more than adequate - athlon 3200, 1GB ram 128MB 6600.

I suspect the protection on the DVD has been set up for Region 1 USA/Canada - and they've used the same master for the UK since they didn't have to deal with another language, even though we're Region 2. Austraila should be ok, Region 4 - but I would like to hear from other UK DVD owners or South African ones (also Region 2) to see if I'm wrong.;)

20. ChuckLe

ChuckLe Chieftain

PC games don't have 'regions'!