1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB mapmaker

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Dis Citsatnaf, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dis Citsatnaf

Dis Citsatnaf Chieftain

Hello there fine folks,

As I mentioned in one of my other threads, a few of us are going to start an FfH2 pitboss game on the weekend, and the question came up earlier about custom maps. This leaves us with a dilemma; we obviously don't want any of the players to be involved in making the map, but literally everybody I know (and some people I just met, o/ Tasunke) is involved in playing this thing. Which brings me to my question:

Would any of you kind gentlemen (and/or ladies) feel like doing us a MAJOR favour by putting a custom erebuscontinents map together for us? I appreciate this is a huge imposition, but it would be _seriously_ appreciated.

If you are interested, drop me a PM or reply in this thread and we can sort out the details. If i'm way outta line, let me know and I'll delete this post :)

Cheers :)

2. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Warlord

Might give this a go. Any idea which civs are involved? And do you want to emphasize balanced or flavorful starting positions?

3. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Emphasize Balance .... although "balanced flavor" could be allowed.

Please do not give Commerce boosting resources to the lanun since they can have Pirate Ports XD (well, not as "many" at any rate)

Civs involved are Bannor, Lanun, Khazad, Kuriotates, Calabim, Sheaim, Illians, and three undeclareds.

4. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Warlord

Ok. I'll get onto it this evening. From the number of civs I'm guessing large size should be ok. I'll try and make the map as interesting as balance allows.

I need to know the exact settings (lairs unique features etc) soon however as I dont have much time after tomorrow.

5. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Well, I am not completely sure of the settings,

But I think All Unique Features (make em in fun spots! :p) no Acheron, no lairs, no goody huts, tech brokering, no Vassal States. (might be no Orthus as well? not sure tbh)

And I think that is it.

Am I missing something?

Leaders are Decius of Bannor, Flauros, Cassiel, Cardith Lorda, Hannah the Irin, Kandros Fir, Auric Ulvin, and Tebryn Arbandi.

Restricted leaders (no odd civ combos)

I believe all victory conditions are fair ... but I don't mind removing Religious Victory, Domination Victory, Altar Victory, and Tower of Mastery Victory.

Seeing as the game will likely be concluded once there is a clear winner and everyone else has given up. If someone hasn't given up however, wouldn't want the game to slip to a Domination victory tho.

And the Towers and Altars are so fun to use, it'd be a shame to win just for building them.

Anyways, if u want to wait n ask Dis, be my guest, but I think what I have outlined is about right :)

(also, there was some talk about using Classic Start instead of Ancient start, not sure if that's part of your map making process or not though)

what do we think? :)

6. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

well, straight from the Horses Mouth

-> No Acheron, No Tech Brokering

and it seems I have been given license to add

-> no lairs

-> all Unique Features

-> no Goody Huts

-> No religious Victory and No Cultural victory (but leave the rest on)

-> ANCIENT start

-> No Orthus

Edit: Have you had much progress with the Map? Don't worry if you got the settings wrong ... No Acheron and No Tech Brokering are the only "must haves."

7. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Warlord

It's almost done, only I forgot to add in the 2 undeclareds (assuming one of the 3 became Grigori)... if this is still a problem I can get them in.

8. Dis Citsatnaf

Dis Citsatnaf Chieftain

Sorry I haven't got back to you yet (altho it looks like Tasunke's been doing a great job), I've been busy dealing with people's availability... Looks like the grigori player has dropped out (well, is teaming up with the bannor player due to the fact that they both have availability probs..)

I believe the final list is:
    - Auric
    - Hannah
    - Tebryn
    - Cardith Lorda
    - Decius of Bannor
    - Kandros
    - Flauros

Sorry if this is a bit last-minute, but organizing these things seems to work out that way :p

Cheers heaps for doing this, by the way :)

-S

9. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

T -6 hours till Pitboss! Hurrah!

but anyways, so I guess the Grigori won't be playing :/ Well, I guess you can wall off the grigori start with mountains XD so that Hyborem might spawn there.

I guess use mostly mountains, and some Fire feature at the pass (maybe burning sands if it can stick).

A good way to get Burning Sands to stick would be to get the plot its on to have an AC value of higher than 0 (it won't spread Hell until the AC picks up past 30 I think)

(but I guess could always turn it into either hostile Jungle, Desert, or just plain erase ->Ocean XD)

hmm, OR just leave Grigori lands as an expansion area ... really just whatever mapmaker wants to do with it imho

10. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Warlord

Well, I redid the map in standard size now that there are only 7 players. Might have gone slightly ott with the unique features but whatever.

Edit: Uploaded below. Let me know how it goes, wish I could join in but busy this weekend so maybe next time!

Attached Files:

11. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Odd, very odd

Edit: I guess you could email either Sid or me the Map file

12. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Warlord

Don't worry, zip came to the rescue and I edited it in (but not quickly enough it seems!).

13. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Oh. In that case, delete my PM! :D

14. Dis Citsatnaf

Dis Citsatnaf Chieftain

Thanks heaps for this! I've had somebody who isn't playing look at it and apparently you did a good job, although we won't find out until later today just how good :)

Cheers heaps for the quick turnaround time, too. I think I owe you a favour.

15. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Yes, thank you! :)

16. Dis Citsatnaf

Dis Citsatnaf Chieftain

OK, after blitzing a touch over 100t on this map yesterday, I've gotta say, you did freaking awesomely. Did you start from scratch, or is this an erebuscontinents that you've edited?

Either way, it's a really nice map. Thanks again :)

17. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Warlord

Without wanting to give anything away while you're still playing it: edited erebuscontinents, although I did regenerate about 5 or 6 times to get something good enough to balance easily.

How is it going, any further progress? Would be interested to see the scores at this point.

18. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

personally I'd say its too early for a score comparison. But the scores are (at turn 141)

Kuriotates: 376

Sheaim: 362

Calabim: 311

Khazad: 297

Illians: 243

Lanun: 221

Bannor: 210

19. Tielby

Tielby Prince

Nice. No one can be counted out yet. :)

20. Tielby

Tielby Prince

Is this finished yet? I decided to try that map in single-player mode and am curious about some aspects of the map's creation. See spoiler below.

Spoiler :
    I've never seen the Maelstrom centered on a coastal tile before. Was that something you did purposely or was the map generated that way?

There are a lot of unique features on islands, which I really liked. Made me really have to want them to offset the cost of losing that much developable land in my fat cross. Again, was that intentional? But in a single-player game, Lanun would be OP in this case. I doubt the AI would ever plop down a city on such small islands, probably because it doesn't recognize the value of those unique features. I know the map wasn't made with that in mind. Just saying.