WTF? Can't upgrade Fighters as Americans to F-15's?

I am the Americans in current game, I just discovered Rocketry, I have all the resources except Uranium, and the game won't lemme upgrade any of my Fighters?! Is this a limit on CSU's? I Should be able to upgrade them F-15's, since for the Americans that replaces the Jet Fighter...

Yeah but the Americans aren't given the option to build regular Jet Fighter units. They should be at least given the option to build the corresponding regular unit then, if not also able to upgrade units to it, case in point my Fighters into Jet Fighters.

Methinks that may be a bug they need to fix. Can I assume that the problem runs through all of the unique units? Can the Romans not upgrade their warriors? For some nations this will be minor, but for others it could be substantial. If the French have no way to get their pikemen to riflemen because of musketeers, that is major.

This is a bug; I hope. I was playing the Russians a few days back and I found it to be an awfull pain in the ass not being able to upgrade my Knights to Cossack units. Fortunately, I was at war with the French who were only slightly behind me in tech, so my knights didn’t last too long.

The point remains: Fraxis, if you are reading this, fix it so you CAN upgrade to the corresponding unique units. It’s a pain in the ass having to churn out new units when the size of your army is already adequate for your needs and you can’t upgrade.

Cheers,

-Pacific_Wing

Originally posted by knowltok
Methinks that may be a bug they need to fix. Can I assume that the problem runs through all of the unique units? Can the Romans not upgrade their warriors? For some nations this will be minor, but for others it could be substantial. If the French have no way to get their pikemen to riflemen because of musketeers, that is major.

You don't have the problem as Egypt, Greece, Babylon, Germany, Aztecs, Zululand or England because their special units replace units that you can't upgrade to. As far as I know, you have the problem with all other civs.

I also noticed something strange when I checked the upgrade paths in the editor. Some special units upgrade to the unit that is two steps up the upgrade path rather than one step. Greek Hoplites and Zulu Impis replace Spearmen but upgrade to Musketmen instead of Pikemen. Egyptian War Chariots replace Chariots but upgrade to Knights instead of Horsemen. The other special units upgrade normally.

Hoplites don't upgrade to pikemen because they ARE pikemen: 1/3/1. I presume it is the same for the other special units.

Originally posted by jhigham
Hoplites don't upgrade to pikemen because they ARE pikemen: 1/3/1. I presume it is the same for the other special units.

I'm sure you're right about the reasoning. The other special units I mentioned are not identical to the next unit on the upgrade path (Impi is 1/2/2 vs Pikeman 1/3/1 and War Chariot is wheeled vs Horseman which is not), but you still wouldn't get much benefit from the one step upgrade.

The cossack post got me thinking. Some units could should be able to upgrade, fighters to f-15s, but taking knights to cossacks is actually a stretch in a historical sense. Cossacks were historically a seperate people and culture. They served the Russians, but knights wouldn't have upgraded to these units.

Extremely picky, and not on entirely firm ground, so feel free to dispute the claim.

humm... i was wondering why i couldnt upgrade my guys to muskteers but had no probelem bumping them to riflemen. pikemen, et al, can upgrade PAST musketeers but not TO musketeers if youre the Frogs. Capice?

Top Bottom