[WTP] Quick questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Feb 7, 2020.

1. BedlamBetty

BedlamBetty Chieftain

Thanks for the quick reply, nice to see the issue was noticed and is considered "to be improved"
    I have only ever played Civ 4 Col with the mod so I had no idea how the storage system in WTP differed from vanilla, but I definitely knew it differed from classic and was not aware it would have been a reversion as opposed to a realignment with OG.
    Still the best version of the game is imo the WTP modded version, even compared to OG so the gripe was really a late game issue where I felt I was spending way too long on turns just transporting goods back and forth and to whatever oversees harbor, definitely a gamebreaker or something that would stop me from using the mod in favor of vanilla or OG. Great work to all who have worked on the mod.

2. mangamancer

mangamancer Chieftain

What is the exact requirement to eliminate a european civ?
    Eliminating one is much more troublesome than in BTS.

3. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

Complete kill, if I'm not mistaken. But entirely possible they have a privateer roaming, or a scout or missionary far afield, or a caravel parked in Europe. It is difficult and frustrating to kill off a rival.

I wonder if there could be a "no colonies or land combat units after 1650 equals defeat" trigger.

And now that I think about it, idk if functioning missions and trade posts need eliminated, since they generate units?

4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder Supporter

Yes you are completely mistaken and it has been clarified many times already.
    Please do not post such misleading information because it causes unnecessary trouble to the modders.

Current Elimination / Respawning logic:
    (At least in default XML settings. It can be configured.)

The logic checks if it has no more Cities and no more Units in Profession Settler and less than 5 Units overall (including Europe).
    Otherwise it respawns the defeated AI. (Meaning it gets a new Starting Units again.)

Also killing is only possible after turn 100.
    Before that the game will have them always respawn.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  5. raystuttgart

No. The respawning logic does not consider them for respawning.
    Also the elimination logic destroys them if an AI is eliminated.

I took care of all those things when I wrote the new respwaning / elimination logic for TAC.
    It was adjusted a few times in the past though. Most significantly for the new "Settler Profession".

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    ConjurerDragon and jooe like this.
  6. mangamancer

mangamancer Chieftain

Thank you.
    I guess keeping a backward civ that cannot win around has a propose like punishing warmonger.
    For me the annoyance outweigh it but maybe that's just me.

7. raystuttgart

Then simply change the XML settings in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml so it fits you personal taste.
    e.g. You can easily configure that a Civ can be eliminated already after 10 turns. (instead of 100)

Nobody forces you to use the default XML settings configured in WTP.
    All these settings have been put into XML so any player without programming knowledge can easily change them for himself.

Comment:

This is not a "standard game". This is a mod. Change it to whatever you like it to be. A lot can already be done in XML.
    If you are however not able or not motivated to change simple settings in XML then I can not help you anymore.

Advice:

Simply start playing with the XMLs and figure out what you can do with it.
    I will not continue to explain even those simple settings in XML anymore, because only by trying out yourself you will learn.

Explanation:

I want you guys to become modders, not just consumers.
    Go and figure out things and share your new knowledge with the rest of community. :thumbsup:
    Do not worry, experienced modders will help though if things get really difficult.

8. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

Please do not post such.... you think I freaking intentionally posted something wrong? You gripe that no one wants to get involved but when someone tries to be the slightest bit helpful, and ends up being wrong, this is how you speak to them?

xenofeel likes this.
  9. raystuttgart

I know that you did not post wrong information intentionally. So please do not worry about that.
    But it was forumulated as a "claim of knowing" - even if "if I am not mistaken" was added - and could have been assumed by others to be true.

I agree, you tried to be helpful so the intention was a good one.
    But what you could have caused was the exact contrary: A wave of unnecessary discussion.

----

I excuse for having formulated badly or impolitely and it was really not meant to be on a personal level.
    But your post could have started a wave of unnecessary discussion for the modders which I really was not happy about.

Summary:

So sorry, I should have formulated differently or more polite.
    And your intention of helping was a good one.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  10. mangamancer

mangamancer Chieftain

Finally got it to work today. Thanks, the game is a lot more enjoyable for me now.

Edited:
    Is there something like War Academy I can look up for this mod?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    raystuttgart likes this.
  11. mastrude

mastrude Paraclete of Kaborka

So I don't like fighting wars. Colonization gets you into them because your territorial influence expands into your native neighbors' turf. Seems like WtP takes the logical extension by letting you work these territories. What I'm asking is, how can I manage not to tick off my neighbors by having this happen. You can't give back your influence over a part of your turf, far as I know. The game starts with enough native settlements that you can't just start out far enough away. Bribing them a lot? Some kind of agreements? What?

12. raystuttgart

@mastrude

1. Do not expand too fast into their territory.
    2. Create Missions and Trade Posts in their villages
    3. Buy the land when they ask you to do so.
    4. Massively trade goods with Wagon Trains
    5. Do not trade too much with their enemies
    6. When they ask for small favours agree
    7. In Python Events and DLL-Diplo Events make the right choices
    8. Have strong military - if your military is too weak they may feel tempted.
    9. Do not play as a Warmonger towards other Natives

Enough Options? :)

I promise you, I had massive Empires (60+) and almost never had Wars with Natives if I did not want to.
    Staying at peace with Natives is really easy and a very efficient strategy in WTP.

This is not a game where you blindly just expand, build an army and crush your enemies.
    This game (and mod) has uncounted small game mechanics that all have their purpose.

13. Teskal

Teskal Chieftain

Hi, not sure if I should open a new thread or just ask here. I would like to learn little more how to play this mod. I found few hints what to do, but I think maybe it is possible to learn from someone or some players by looking at how they played the game. If it would be possible that someone upload 'all' saves made during a playthrough. I think this could be helpful. Maybe not all, this could be to big. :) Every 20 round or 30 or 50 or something like that.

14. mastrude

Thanks. I'll do that

15. Cerberus™

Cerberus™ Chieftain

This module looks very interesting! I have only played the ancient Colonization, and Civilization IV itself, but I'm interested in playing this Civ IV version of Col.

What is the best set-up to play the game for the first time? With 'We, The People' only, no other modules? Or will this module be confusing for me, being used only to ancient Colonization (and to Civilization 4 itself)?

16. mastrude

I'm new to this modpack and puzzled by some things. In particular, growing cocoa seems potentially profitable, but much more so for the finished product than for pods. I have a few people drying cocoa in my warehouse, but they only process 3 or 4 pods/turn. How can I scale this up so one person can handle more production? Is there a building? A profession? What?

17. xenofeel

xenofeel Chieftain

Professional dryer and bigger warehouse.

18. Martin Peralta

Martin Peralta Chieftain

Good day dear Civ4Col-fans!
    Wanted to ask for your advice regarding logistics. I quite often read of people setting up empires with 20-40+ cities, but I myself already drown in the complexity of 6 cities: I have several wagons/coastal ships, but my PC already takes long to process each turn. Cannot imagine what will happen when i double up production..

Please your help in assessing my case: 4 coastal cities (A,B,C & D ) and 2 inland (E & F).

Coastal:
    A - main city, highest population, gather food for population increase, university and warehouse with driers (consumes cocoa and coffee)
    B - shipyard city, fur coat factory: consumes hemp and furs; produces sugar, ropes, sails.
    C - Rum and Food production: consumes sugar and produces rum, food.
    D - Farm city - produces hemp and food
    Inland:
    E - Second largest city, has miners and blacksmiths, produces tools and food/lumber
    F - Blades/Guns production, sends everything to A (army build up)

Almost each city produces some furs, sugar, coffee and so on..

I have 8 big coastal ships, 3 wagons and 2 trecks.

Question is: How to set up the most efficient transportation routes so that: a) all cities get the necessary construction materials to grow (stone, tools), b) the production cities get their raw materials and ideally c) cities get their demanded resources

Thanks upfront for your comments!

19. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

Are you growing/mining/cutting down raw materials in one place and sending elsewhere? Thats how I took "consuming." If so, if it isn't too late to reset, id suggest trying to develop converting processes where you're growing raw materials, if possible. Really saves on how much logistics if you're only moving finished products, construction materials you can't harvest locally, and overflow.

I try to have a tile to mine, a blacksmith, and 1-2 tiles for lumber in every city. Stone is obviously harder, as mountains aren't everywhere.

If I'm growing sugar/coffee/tobacco, I'm going to try to convert it all /in that city/. Then I just have to send it out for domestic market or to Europe.

Thats another thing, are you developing your domestic market or exporting all? That adds to logistics but is absolutely worthwhile.

Depending on the layout of your cities, I often use a relay setup. If A-D are in a row in alphabetic order,, Anything D needs to send out goes from D to C, ship drops off and carries anything C has that D needs back. Next leg does same with C-B, then B-A. This way you carry goods for domestic market and construction materials upstream, and finished goods for export go downstream. IDK if this helps, and every map has different needs

Kendon likes this.
  20. mastrude

That raises another issue for me: In past games, other modpacks, I could usually make one trade with a native village. It would clean them out and they wouldn't have gold for additional trades. On the other hand, if I traded for, say, skins, they might be able to sustain trade. Is this true?

What commodities are economically worth trading?