[WTP] Quick questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Feb 7, 2020.

1. XavierX

XavierX Chieftain

Awesome! Thanks.

2. cynther

cynther Chieftain

Hi team, just discovered this amazing mod. I have a hard time spotting the goody huts on the map, and since I've done a bit of lens/overlay modding for Civ 5/6, I thought I'd try to add goody hut icons to the resource display. However, I have not found any mods (or guides) that mention these map displays, nor have I gotten very far examining the xml files.
    1) Are there any plans/ideas to do something like this with WTP
    2) Do you know if it is even possible to mod? I know that Civ4 is somewhat more restrictive modding-wise than later games.

3. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder Supporter

Thanks. :)

You can do that by modifying the DLL (changing C++ source code and compiling DLL again).

But first of all we would need to agree how it should look like exactly and if it would look nice or not. :dunno:
    Something like coloured circles would probalby look nice, but something like buttons might look really ugly.

Sure, why not. UI improvements are always a good idea. :thumbsup:

Of course it is. A skilled modder can do almost everything in this game. :)

Sorry, but here you are utterly misinformed. :confused:

We have access to the full game logic source code for Civ4BTS and Civ4Col.
    In newer parts of the serises like Civ5 or Civ6 you do not.

That is why modders that are able to do programming like myself have been so angry at Firaxis and never switched to newer games in the Civ series.
    The modding possibilities of Civ5 and Civ6 are a joke compared to Civ4. All you can do in Civ5 and Civ6 is a bit of scripting but no true game core programming.

------------

Summary:

Almost everything is possible in Civ4Col modding.
    All it needs is somebody investing the time to do so.

4. cynther

cynther Chieftain

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking to use the All Resources Display (Alt+R) like below. But a coloured circle might be a good alternative. The game already uses them to highlight a goody hut when it's discovered. Maybe it's enough to just let that stay until the hut is explored.
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  5. raystuttgart

That solution would probably result in quite a lot of implementation effort.
    And I am not even sure we would achieve a result that would look nice.

Should actually be quite easy to implement. We could turn it into a Game Option in "Custom Game" probably.
    (Game Options are much easier to access than e.g. the Video Options under Advanced, which are heavily hardcoded in the exe.)

----

We can put it on the todo list. :thumbsup:

6. raystuttgart

7. cynther

cynther Chieftain

Nice :goodjob: I see you added it to an ongoing branch. Any ETA on the merge?

8. nci

nci Warlord

Is it possible to playtest development branch e.g. Plains? Downloading it from github, I get many errors and it doesn't start...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  9. raystuttgart

It will only work if you also compile a new DLL from the current source code in that branch.
    Then you could use it for a "sneak peak" which however would not really help us modders.

It is however not yet ready to be really played - it is still in alpha stage - meaning a real internal development branch.
    (It may be a good beta earliest around Chritsmas, most likely even after New Year.)

nci likes this.
  10. Zingo99

Zingo99 Chieftain

Hello, been playing a few games and I really wanna praise all those who's developing this mod, please never stop :)

Cacaso, nci and raystuttgart like this.
  11. XSamatan

XSamatan Warlord

Which factors are relevant if I want to build ships in a colony?

I have a really beautiful map, a large and deep bay into the continent, behind this bay are some minor lakes that in some cases are connected to the main ocean by native villages (later replaced by forts).
    The three colonies in question have
    a) a fresh water lake with 3 plots
    b) a fresh water lake with 5 plots
    c) a lake (terrain coast) with 11 plots

All colonies cannot be set as destination in Europe, however the pathfinder finds them after crossing the Atlantic without problems. Disregarding the dock level (placed with WB in a and b), all colonies can only build coastal ships, no other types are available.

Is there a setting in CIV4UnitInfos.xml or CIV4BuildingInfos.xml governing the build options?

Perhaps iMinAreaSize?

I'm not at my PC right now, so it is more of a theoretical question. Still playing on 2.9 (however I did not see commits that would change the mentioned behaviour.

Regards
    XSamatan

12. raystuttgart

@XSamatan
    These things* are already different in 3.0.1. - due to further improvements considering "Lakes".
    And things will be even more different in the next big upcoming release.

Most of it is handled in DLL not XML. (But yes some XML will affect the DLL indirectly.)
    Nothing though a beginner modder should touch easily because it may affect AI. Lakes and Large Rivers are tricky.

And it is complicated enough to at least take a complete afternoon in Zoom to explain.
    That is time I simply do not have, especially if the person would most likely not change the DLL logic anyways.

With "things we changed / improved recently" I mean:
    1) Building harbour buildings on "Lakes".
    2) Which ships you can construct in Harbour Buildings on Lakes.
    3) Sailing from Europe to Colonies on (really large inland) Lakes. (We had a bug there and fixed it.)

However, if you "just connect by a Fort / Native Village" you are simply not directly connected to the Ocean.
    You will not be able to build all Harbour Buildings, thus not be able to construct all Ships and can not set it as destination from Europe Screen.
    (There simply is no XML setting for that - that is all DLL logic. And changing it would be a very very bad idea for performance or AI.)

---

Thus let us please not waste time on such outdated releases as 2.9. (It is mostly DLL logic and has little to do with XML anyways.)
    Also we handled these things already in newer releases - especially the internal upcoming one chances stuff a lot. :thumbsup:

Summary:
    Get the newest Release 3.0.1 first and see how it works there and if you like it.
    Otherwise as I said, rules have been further refined in internal development release.

"Indirectly connected by Village / Fort"
    (for Harbours or Europe Sailing) is however not going to be implemented. (It is too problematic.)
    We may instead implement the "Coastal Port / Port District" concept of @devolution. (Please have a bit of patience though. :))

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021 at 4:55 AM