1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wut happened? (Mod in-game activation)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by CaptainPatch, Mar 6, 2019.

1. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

I was about to start a new game of Civ6--GS. As there has been chatter about many mods being updated to GS acceptability, I went mod "shopping" and added about 25. Checking with the "Additional Content" page, I could see 17 had made the cut as being compatible with GS. Fine. I started up the game. As I usually do, I began the game by doing a "Start" Save. I have noticed that the info panel for every Save also shows all of the active Additional Content DLCs and mods. But when I looked at that Start Save, all it showed was

DLC Aztec Civilization Pack
    Expansion Gathering Storm
    Expansion Rise and Fall

(I manually Disabled all of the multiplayer DLCs as I _never_ play multiplayer.)

So I'm wondering where my 17 Enabled mods disappeared to. Anybody have a clue? I would be deeply grateful to know how I can not only Subscribe to a Steamworks mod, Enabled them, and then have them _actually_ appear in my game.

2. nrh

nrh Chieftain

Saved presets roll over all previously activated mods from before the update. Basically, the start save communicated to your game that only had a list of R&F mods but 3 were compatible, so it ran 3.
    To fix this, go out of your start save, activate everything you want to play, delete all your preset custom game saves, and create a new one from scratch. Use that start save from now on.

note in the future, any time you change or update any mod, or add new DLC, or even change the name of one of the folders in your Mods folder, create a new start save.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  3. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Each mod has a flag that says if it "affects save files". You can see in the mod info.
    Only mods with this flag set to Yes are "remembered" in the save file. Once stored, you won't be able to reload the game without that mod.
    If mod has this flag set to No it means that you can switch in on and off anytime you want. Usually these are UI mods.
    In your case it means that all 17 mods do not affect save files.
    What mods are actually used and loaded during a game - you can check when in the game, go to menu, and there is a list at the bottom. If they are enabled, and game started, you should see all of them over there.

nrh likes this.
  4. Cosmic Fox

Cosmic Fox Civ 6 Addict - TB Mod Collaborator

Here, this is a list of compatible mods, I have not updated it yet completely but these all work. If you use Mod manager you can click one time and get older mods that indicate they are not compatible to work. I run 8 pages of mods all the time, there are a large number I am not able to use due to RAM constricts etc. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1658148583

5. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

THANK YOU! for that list. Scrolling through pages of Steam Workshop mods was getting to be a VERY tedious game of hide-and-go-seek.
    Thank you for this info. I would never have thought that the mod-changing procedure was sooooo incredibly counter-intuitive. I mean, "Save setup" seemed like a logical way to alter THE GAME'S configuration in regards to a specific set of civs, map size, resource availability, victory conditions, etc. I thought that would setup the game, and THEN the mods would get applied to that game. [Then again, there ARE several mod-added civs that would affect the game setup just in selecting who your opponents would be.]

Previously I had sorted out just which civ opponents I preferred to play against. I also had distinct preferences for map size [formerly in vanilla, Huge, but now with mod, Colossal], game speed (Marathon), land mass type (pangaea), sea level (low), resources [formerly abundant, with mod truly abundant], number of City States (30), etc. et al. I figured that using "Load setup Save" would take my preferred mix, add the selected mods, and then start the game. I didn't think/know that that setup Save also locked in the mod choices from that previous game.

Upon reflection, it seems logical to me that the Create game setup should START with the players' selected Enabled mods and THEN go with the civ selection and other parameter selections.