WW1+WW2-Scenariomod

I really want to play good Worldwar mod on Civilization V engine. But there seems to be none. And no-one seems to be doing one.

Congratulations, you've just volunteered to make one! Good luck with that.

A bit less sarcastically, there are three main reasons why the mod YOU want hasn't been made yet. (This applies to anyone asking for a specific mod to be made, not just you as an individual.) In descending order of importance:

1> Ideas are plentiful. Modders are not.
Modders have their own pet projects. They're not going to spend a whole lot of time building someone else's design when they have one of their own. If someone was already making a WW2 mod then of course you should give suggestions (although you'd have to accept that the final decision on those suggestions would be in the hands of the modder), but if there's not one in the pipeline that's close to what you'd like, your only real option is to start building it yourself. And yes, it's a LOT of work to make a large mod, definitely not something a beginner will get done any time soon. (But the only way to learn is to jump in yourself.)

2> Assets are in short supply.
If you look in the Unit Graphics forum you'll note that we're finally starting to see a decent number of custom units, all Civ4 conversions, many of which are WW2-era units. But that's a recent development; there's little point in making a detailed historical scenario if the units look nothing like what they're supposed to. This has also been a major detriment to science-fiction or fantasy mods; eventually we'll have the full array of units based on all the various Civ4 mods, but until then we make do with placeholders.
This also ties back to point #1: the unit art conversions take time, and so the people doing the conversions will generally convert the units they need for their own mods first. If you want a specific unit and aren't willing to wait for one of the experienced folks to get around to the ones you want, then you either do it yourself or do without.

3> We don't have the full SDK.
There are a lot of things that simply aren't possible to mod yet. This latest patch helped somewhat, but we're a LONG way from being able to mod the effects we really want, which greatly limits the sorts of design concepts that are actually workable at present. If you're not a modder, then you'll have no idea what things are possible, and you'll be asking for things that might seem reasonable on the surface but which just won't work in the end.

Thank you for your answer. The problem is that I can't code/mod at all. I made two 2d graphics for Asiox3:s ww1939 mod, but that's it. I have ideas and I'm really into war history. And I would try to learn this myself, but I'm going to army next January and I'm there at least 5 days a week so.. Not much time to learn something like that :(

Thank you for your answer. The problem is that I can't code/mod at all.

Not having any coding skills is, of course, a big downside to doing Lua modification. It's basically a Perl-style scripting set pseudo-language, not the easiest thing to pick up on the fly, so I can definitely see your problem there.
But you could probably learn how to modify XML with very little effort. It's really incredibly simple, and that sort of thing is a HUGE part of the time commitment. Writing out all of the civilopedia entries, setting all of the base stats for the units, and so on; for my own mod, it was over a month of work before I made my first Lua change (just tweaks to the numbers in AssignStartingPlots), and several weeks after that before I even started writing new Lua code. So obviously, there's a lot you can do without having to learn how to be a programmer.

Obviously, something like the Army will tie up a bit more of your time than you can afford. No way around that.

I made two 2d graphics for Asiox3:s ww1939 mod, but that's it. I have ideas and I'm really into war history.

Well, you could always just do THAT then, if you wanted to contribute before a real WW2 mod was started by someone else. Make some graphics; over in the Unit Graphics forum, for instance, there are only a couple dozen units made so far (all conversions of Civ4); not just the 3D unit graphics themselves, but you also need the little 2D icons for the tech tree and the build lists, the little custom flags for each unit, and so on. Over in the other graphics forums, there are a handful of new wonders and splash screen graphics and such, but not NEARLY enough.
So if you were to start making WW1/WW2-related icons and graphics, splash screens, etc., that might encourage someone else to start the real programming. Stranger things have happened...

I'm really into war history.
Should play my mod in the interim, it does have a really historical flavour to it (if I say so myself).

I'm holding off developing for Civ V, until later.

Top Bottom