WW2 Planes - Horizontal Stabilizers

Lord Chambers

Emperor
Roughly what percentage of allied planes used in WW2 had horizontal stabilizers like the
P-38 Lightning
here?

Obviously the P-38 is not "unique" for having a horizontal stabilizer, but they were not "very common" either, correct? Would you say horizontal stabilizers in WW2 were "rare?" "Relatively unique" to planes like the P-38?

I'm writing something unrelated to plane design but don't want to say something completely inaccurate, and can't find the answer on the internet.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about planes with two (or more?!) tails united across the rear by a shared horizontal stabilizer. Is there a term for this design which distinguishes it from all other types of horizontal stabilizers?

Honestly, I remember shooting down lots of planes in 1942 for the NES which had this same feature. Unfortunately that's not very searchable information.

The Germans had some of the most interesting ones - and some truly weird designs along those lines, the Heinkel He 111 Z especially, which had an engine where most twin booms have their cockpit, and twin cockpits where most twin booms have their engines...

The Arado ar. E340 is another interesting variant on the twin boom design.

Top Bottom