WW2 Scenario - 1939 Axis Attack on Poland

migo

Chieftain
WW2 Scenario - 1939 Axis Attack on Poland

Scenario takes place on standard sized world map (by Zach Wilson 2001) at 1939, just
after Germany had invaded Poland and taken over Warsaw. England, America and France have just
declared war on Axis while Mother Russia still sleeps silently under communist rule.
At pre saved game you will be playing Axis under facist government as they struggle
their way trough World war 2 fights with their ally Japan.

Modpack contains two out of the box playable pre saved games:

Hitler of the Axis, May, 1939 AD Attack on Poland - easy.SAV
Hitler of the Axis, May, 1939 AD Attack on Poland - hard.SAV

At easier SAV America has not declared war of Germans, and Russians are a just Annoyed, not
Furious toward germans. At hard difficaulty America has also declared war on Germany and
russians are furious towards Germany. Both saves are at Regent level.

Scenario source file is also included and comments & suggestions about it are welcome.

Scenario has following modifications to orginal CIV3 rules:

1) Governments have been modified for this scenario, so most of AI players will adapt their
correct pre war govenrnment. Two new government types have also been added: Ancient rebublic
and Facism. Ancient rebublic is same as old republic, but corruption is one lever worse and
it replaces old rebublic at ancient ages. Republic has been moved to middle ages over
Democracy advance and it equals orginal republic. Democracy has been moved to Industrial ages
as a new advance that can be obtained after Communism advance has been discovered.
Communist goventment type has been modified to have trade bonus, military police of 2,
2 free units per city and low war weariness. Facist government equals monarchy,
except corruption is nuisance, military police limit is 4 and hurrying method is force labor.
(see scenario rules for other slight mods that were not mentioned here)

2) Artillery range has been modified to 1 so it cannot fire from continent to London & vice versa.

3) Airplanes can sink naval units

Download scenario file from here or From Here (If first link doesn't seem to work)

Looks nice, i would have used a more detailed map though:)

Nice scenario! Especially the saved games. It adds to the realism. Besides some minor spelling errors (e.g. Muurmansk and Warsav) only one thing really surprised me - the strong Iberian Nations, which even include Capetown! :confused: Instead of having a separate puny Greece, maybe one could divide this new power into at least two or three parts?

Interesting.

But, I'm really curious about the method you used to set up diplomatic relations in saved game.

Step by step instructions would be even better.
(so good to be a topped thread by itself)

Good you liked that, this scenario has been playtested quite a few times so it would have been a surprise if it had sucked a lot ;o)

Iberian nations have large land mass, but to balance that corruption there should be quite rampart as their capital is located at Madrid and Iberian cities are quite spread out at southern america. They aren't also too advanced techologiocally so they should have quite a small role (or actually no role at all) at incoming battles. Capetown could be part of another nation, maby of neutral nations, but that doesn't have too large effect on scenario happenings.

Yea spelling mistakes should be fixed and at same time I could fix names of some leaders. (Luckily if you play pre saved games you can rename already captured Warsaw to its correct name) ;o)

Athens was actually at first part of neutrals, but as it was historically conquered by axis at some point of war, i decided to make it separate nation with Warsaw so Axis side wouldnt get involved in war with neutrals it they decide to capture it.

Map could have been more detailed, but when i started this scenario this was the most detailed map i could find and this map should be quite geographically correct anyways (And because standard size wait times between turns are shorter).

Diplomatic relations are simply created by paying money or resources for alliances (with Japan) and wars and other nation opinions are also created by giving free cash for positive attitude or demanding bribes for several times to cause bad attitude. Really tough cookie was actually to force nations to obtain their right form of government that they wouldn't change them right away, and still make them represent their real counterparts.

I'd like to hear opinions about what you think of those governments at scenario and how well do they relate to real world governments of same name.

PS. Axis are at their golden age when saved game starts, so facism really is not that good form of gov as it seems there. This I think relates to situation in history quite well.

Originally posted by Yoda Power
i tried to download it again, but the link was broken.

Looks like my dynamic ip changed again and broke linking for a moment, dns sould be updated soon again... or by easy way: file can now also be Downloaded from here

migo: if you are struggling to force a country to have a certain government this is what you should do: make new technologies but make it so they dont have an era - means they cannot be researched (doesnt matter what the names are cause no one can research them). Then change the different governments to the different technologies. Now just go into player properties and award the technologies for the desired governments to the corresponding country. This is something that I thought up - dont know if any body else has yet.

I have tried government forcing with similar method not giving democracy & republic to russians (from normal tech tree) so they would choose communism for example, but they almost always seem to get them from someone before their time of anarchy is over. Phoenix, your method sounds good for disabling this annoying tech trade.

Another thing what I have used for "forcing" certain types of governments is by creating cities infrastructure in a way that it favors that gov type. This means things like leaving temples, cathedrals, colosseums, stock exchanges and things like that to minimun when forcing communist rule, and maximising martial law by large number of defensive units (they may even be quite obsolete to balance game, just that they keep people in cities happy). This usually also needs quite large land mass and large number of cites to work in favor of communism (plus communism as favorite government for thet civ). After all that AI sometimes chooses communism as their choice of governmet voluntarily ;o)

Another trick I have used to balance massive trade avantage of democracy & republic versus monarchy & communsim is by dropping corruption rates of republic and democracy to one worse than default. That way AI also sometimes uses some other types of govenments in regular game.

I'm playing this scenario now and I noticed some minor historical problems:
Since when did they use Bowmen as Snipers:lol:

Come on, these are just the Chaldean archers of the International brigades in Spain.

BTW tried to play it but diplomatic relationships don't seem to be done yet. Did I download the wrong file (bix instaed of SAV) ?

About governments and non-era technologies, this has been discussed a lot. I am not 100% sure (Kal-El would be the one to ask about that) but I think non-era techs cannot be traded provided they are not necessary to search other techs, otherwise they become kind of normal, tradable techs again.

Originally posted by LouLong
About governments and non-era technologies, this has been discussed a lot. I am not 100% sure but I think non-era techs cannot be traded provided they are not necessary to search other techs, otherwise they become kind of normal, tradable techs again.
non-era techs cant be traded, but you can get them from the Great Library.

Capetown should be British, if you want to be historically accurate. In fact, most of Africa should belong to the UK or France, not the Iberian Nations.

South America should also not be a part of the Iberian Nations, they have for the most part been independent of those since 1825 (or before).

Greece was invaded by the Italians on October 26, 1940, from Albania. Greece was invaded by the Germans on April 8th, 1941 from Bulgaria. So you are correct in that regard.

The idea and concepts are good, but I think you need to make it more historically accurate, at least in terms of who owned what.

Also, from the sound of it, your techs and units are way screwed up too. :)

Originally posted by Procifica
Capetown should be British, if you want to be historically accurate. In fact, most of Africa should belong to the UK or France, not the Iberian Nations.

South America should also not be a part of the Iberian Nations, they have for the most part been independent of those since 1825 (or before).

Greece was invaded by the Italians on October 26, 1940, from Albania. Greece was invaded by the Germans on April 8th, 1941 from Bulgaria. So you are correct in that regard.

The idea and concepts are good, but I think you need to make it more historically accurate, at least in terms of who owned what.

Also, from the sound of it, your techs and units are way screwed up too. :)

South Africa (and Capetown) was actually independent at 1939 (see attached map) but Brits did had some influence on the area.
Other colonies at africa, pacific and asia also do reflect historical situation at that time quite accurately in respect of major powers in game (that is France, British, Axis, Japan, USA, Russia). I have used "African nations" in africa and "Pacific nations" at pacific to represent colonies of other countries or some independent countries.

Capetown could rather be part of neutral nations than Iberian nations, but both of those civs do not play significant role in the game, so its not too big deal in playability.

There was not enough civilization slots to assign own civ to all south american countries so iberian nations and brazil are used there. Most of southern american countries were independent in that time as said. Iberian nations can be referred more like cultural area than actual country or used in same way as neutral nations to represent their political views (that is pro-axis in scenario).

Scenario really should be quite accurate historically as some research has been done to place colonies to their proper owners. Criticism that scenario is historically inaccurate is quite pointless.

Units in this scenario are default CIV 3 units so they are no more screwed than units in any other civ game ;o). Modifications in tech tree are mentioned at beginning of this thread and concern only governments. They really do not have significant effect on normal gameplay.

Attachments

• africa1939.jpg
    africa1939.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,932
I think that you are right that it more important to make a good and challenging scenario than to try to achieve perfect historic accuracy. This said, however, I agree with Proficia that Capetown should be British (just as you have made Egypt). Most commonwealth countries were very much involved on the allied side, and in game terms that justifies making them one civ. I would even extend it to include Greece, reflecting the fighting on Crete. Having separate nations prevents movement through cities, and since the life expectancy of Athens is limited, the extra civ does not really make any difference in the long run.

Regarding the Iberian nations, I think that your strategy of crippling South America through corruption, and thus not creating a power as large as it might look on the map, makes sense, since this is a good incentive for not invading Spain (which would automatically move the capital there). This is especially true if you would aim at having a multiplayer compatible scenario with just eight civs. Whether South American nations were indeed pro-axis (I think that for instance Brazil joined the allies) does not matter if the Iberians have low aggression factor and, for those historically minded, are supposed to be left alone. Just make sure that no Forbidden Palace ;) shows up in South America.

Hi all. First of all, great map, i like a lot. Im new and is my first post, sorry if i make errors and sorry for my english, lol.

Migo can we play with other civs??.

If yes, can you tell me how??.
If not, can you make a .sav file with other civs??.

Thx for your map, waiting for an answer. Bye all.

Top Bottom