WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful for IV - Discussion & Creation Diary

what do the short and long range tactic promotions do?
I still think that the French have too dominant of a naval force. I was able to knock out Germany's destroyers in 39, and I think instead that AI Subs and Battleships should dominate the atlantic in the early turns so that the human player is encouraged to build up forces. This is working pretty well at the moment, I just felt a bit too powerful as France. (also I think Paris could use a few more Machine Guns)
Is there a way that war can be not set as permanent, but if it is declared, than it becomes permanant?
[I am thinking, Germany and Russia go to war sometimes in 39-40, but they always sign a peace treaty quickly and never go back to war.]

Nothing, yet. Their supposed to be good against rifle and smg infantry respectively. Or was it that they were better in forest/hill and grassland...

I think so, there's a gameoption called permanent war/peace, ubt I've never tested it how does it work? If that doesn't work, python can prob do it ;)

I think, (in the worldbuilder txt) that permanentwarpeace(1) means that the countries cannot declare war, or declare peace, that they cannot change their status. I'm thinking that it would be nice to have this permanant option kicked in when war is declared between certain countries.

have you taken care of the Garrison UNIT_AI so that they aren't used to counter-attack?
If the AI didn't act so crazy most of the time, this would be a very challanging scenario. I suppose its already challanging if you play as Finland.

What is the most turns that anyone has lasted as Poland? I think my best is 12 turns.

At what difficulty jlocke? I lasted..umm, 6 turns I think last time I tried Poland :)

I use a geography book as well.
Your original map could be quite useful so please send it!

I was playing as Field Marshall, but I had played as Ger and USSR so many times I knew where all their units were, and I just retreated to Lwow, basically, and then held them off for a few extra turns there. I think AI takes poland in 4 turns normally.

On the latest release I have played qute a bit. The things I find still happening, as also reported by others are:

1) French Garrison units attack from Maginot Line forts continually. Defenders enjoy the promotions from killing them over and over... :lol:

2) Even with icombat value set to 1 (or even 2), the Navel Transport crashes the game when they are the last unit remaining in a city. While changing the setting to CARRIER_SEA helps with the one in Amsterdam, the ones from Norway continue to crash the game. I had to ERASE Oslo and remake it with no NAVAL TRANSPORT for Germany to take Oslo without game crash.

3) German Light AA fail to intercept Allied fighters when they pillage improvements in Germany, even if 6 Light AA are placed on the improvement. At the same time, Allied Light AA and Fighters owned by the AI seem to have a 100% chance to intercept and tend to let German Fighters go thru and wait to intercept Bombers.

I've played the latest version for a short time. (as Germany)

Defeated Poland very quickly then took the Benelux cities and then paris. (At the moment im gathering troops for operation sealion ;) ) Besides my war-activities nobody else fought. The italians just helped me get rid of the stupid resistance.

The game only crashed once when I tried to capture a Benelux city but after I reloaded everything went well.

What made the France-invasion kind of hard was the english air-support. Every plane I sent was intercepted and only because they didn't have enough planes I got to bomb them sometimes.

The models of the different units (and i havent seen that many) are great and the winter is even better. A very good mod!

One last comment; I think you are trying to name the cities after there local names? If so, why is Vienna still called Vienna?

Gen_d_Pz_Tr_Seb wrote:
The game only crashed once when I tried to capture a Benelux city but after I reloaded everything went well.

Hmmm. Perhaps there is a better version the last one I dl.

After removing the tile number from the list of winter tiles, the one south of Oslo is still becoming land. It now becomes desert instead of grassland though.

Regarding Winter, the starvation from lost food production in the months of October thru January exceeds the population increases in the warm weather months. At this rate, Germany will starve before the war ends, and the allies need only sit back and wait for their extinction. :rolleyes:

The MOD has me totally addicted, and the setbacks are not at all serious enough to make it unplayable. Worldbuilder can be used to correct any roadblock encountered until the bugs are all fixed.

Still the best MOD ever. Salute to Paasky! :king:

A post I fuond on the "When is the SDK due? " thread:
Roger Bacon said:
I'm both looking forward to it and also dreading it. Dreading it because I know I will have to make a lot of changes to my code to make it work with the new API.
I do hope they fix the game crash that happens with you attack a city and the last defender is a land unit that is loaded on a boat. I've gotten to the point now I'm in that situation I just go to the world builder and remove the boat (which removes the land unit to since it is loaded) and then put a new land unit back. A real pain and it takes away the game feel but its better than a lockup.

Could this be the problem?

Garrisons: Could you check what UNITAI the unit has when attacking (from the Worldbuilder), so I can make it into a NotUnitAI.

All light AA has the same interception propability, perhaps I should raise it a bit?

The aircraft all have the same range. I'll fix these for the next version.

Truhart: If you removed the correct text, it can't cahnge into anything, as the tile isn't included. So you've done something strange ;)

I'll make the farms give 2x, or even 3x more food, so that cities can keep their sizes.

Hardenr: I'll give it to you as soon as I get home. Note: There's no uranium in the map, or some other resources (can't remember which, but mainly the ones that aren't european).

Thanks Paasky.

I looked again and realized I replaced the MOD with a newer one you released and forgot to remove the 34,26 grass again. :crazyeye:

You are also right that a Naval Transport causes the crash only when it is loaded with a unit when you attack it. Since they sometime load a unit and sit in a city that way, it makes the city crash the game when you attack with only the Naval Transport remaining alive as defender of the city.

The air problem is this: AI intercepts bombers 100% until each AA or Fighter has been used. Player's AA and Fighters only seem to intercept 50% of the time.
AI Fighters will destroy a Pasture with 3 AA sitting on it. Player would have the first 3 attacks intercepted before destroying the pasture with a 4th attack.

I think 2x food would work, and make snow only appear November to January. If snow is October to February, then 3x food would be needed for Farms, and 2x food for Towns.

The snow appears at different times depending on how cold that area is, and if the random calculator's (which gives a number of 1-100) number is lower than the chance of getting snow. Northern siberia has a very long winter, while central france only has a 3-week period with 100% chance of snow.

Stupid cheating AI... Although maybe you're egsaturating (how's that spelled?), as I have had a few succesful missions with bombers with the airspace full of bf-109's. Mainly with mosquitos though, which have an evasion probability (as they were very fast).

Paasky, I understand the air situation now.

The game seems to take the highest % of intercept among units in range and makes one check at that %. It would work accurately if each Fighter or AA within range got a chance to intercept, but making one check at 50% (Bf-109e) even if 8 Fighters are within range to intercept is bad.
This means there is not much advantage from having 12 Fighters patrolling a area or having just 3... you still only have 1 chance to intercept each attacking aircraft.

The Bf-109e (Messerschmidt) is only given a 50% chance, same as Light AA. The Spitfire and Hurricane should be better than Bf-109e, but not 20% better! They should only have 55% or 60% at most.

The program treats 50% more like 30%, and treats 70% more like 90%. :lol:

The good news is, this is not a bug. Anyone can edit the percentages to make it feel right to them. I left Light AA at 50%, made Bf-109e to 55%, made Hurricane 60%, and the legendary Spitfire 65%. The FW-190A was a better fighter than the Spitfire, but the Brittish had radar... so I have the FW-190a at 60%. The Mustang and FW-190d would be good at 70%, leaving 75% for jets. :)

I also have seen garrisons attacking a lot. Otherwise I've now played as allied, ger and soviet until near end of 1941 and had no problems. I agree that there are still factors which make even gameplay difficult in some cases, but I imagine warplay was kinda difficult too :) yes thanks again paasky, this mod owns owns OWNS.

PS. I played as Yugoslavia and captured ROM & BUL. The result was a war against both alliances :) What was weird in this game... was that I was placing units on the oil fields to stop spies from destroying the improvements but for some reason the units just kept disapearing. This happened to 3 workers too. Oh well :)

Yes, exactely, I experienced the same 'disapearing problem' while playing Spain. I conquered some cities in Northern Africa. I also got the southernmost oil field there. I put some units there to guard it. Unfortunately, spies kept blowing it up. My units there somehow vanished.

That's exactly what the SAS did to the haxis, correct? So, unless you have your own spies, they should be invisible. and as that's exactly what I'm going to do, this will be over in the next update.

Truhart: Tell me how those %'s play, as civ isn't known for it's simple combat mathematics ;) for example, the differnce between 1.4 vs 2 & 1.5 vs 2 is different by almost 10%, while 1.3 & 1.4 have a very small change.

Hey, I had the same problem with dissappearing units in Africa... I was playing as Germany, had a stack of units heading north through the Middle East toward SE USSR, and next turn, the stack is gone. Very weird.

could the engineer/worker unit be exluded from this scen? Makes no sense having the ability to build 1 turn railroad anywhere I like by massing the workers. Makes for less historical accurasy aswell.

Engineers are necessary to replace improvements which destroyed by bombing/pillaging. During WW2 lots of railroads for example were destroyed and then quickly rebuilt, so I don't think it is historically inaccurate.

Maybe however construction of terrain improvements could be slowed down compared to the standard game. This would slightly reduce the overall pace of the scenario which would be good.

Top Bottom