1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful for IV - Discussion & Creation Diary

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Paasky, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Paasky

Paasky Good News Everyone!

wotan: Now that just shouldn't happen... Do you have the Show AI moves off & quick combat on?. They could've been attacked, as a spy can't just remove a stack, can it?

2. Gen_d_Pz_Tr_Seb

Gen_d_Pz_Tr_Seb Chieftain

I tried to play the game mutliplayer (the ini-file says it isn't forbidden).

I can load the mod but I can't selected the scenario. Is it possible to enable multiplayer somehow? (Or how can I change the map in the world builder to play multiplayer?)

3. Hardner

Hardner Emperor

Well this problem is weird, I had this before also on other versions. Once I was moving 10 stacked Kingtingers and 1 PzIV which was not in this stack but always on same tile towards Moscow and the Kingtigers suddenly dissapeared without any enemy action seen. PzIV stayed. Probably the ai can use their spys to destroy whole stacks. And there was really no enemy unit around. I've also seen single units destroying whole stacks with only one single attack, reminds me somehow of CIV II.

Paasky, please do not forget to send the map!

and btw a new current is looong overdue..

4. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Prince

I've had similar problems - I fortified machine guns and spies on my oil to prevent sabotage, and the machine guns kept disappearing.

5. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

No, I don't. That's what is weird, I never saw combat occur. Perhaps years later they would show up in the desert a la "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

6. Col.D

Col.D Chieftain

Just giving my thanks, this is probaly the best WWII scenario I've played yet.

7. Truhart

Truhart Chieftain

Paasky:
    As for the combat calculator, the whole number adds 10 to the decimal and the odds calculated as such.

Actually, 1.4 (14) vs 2 (20) = 30% difference.
    1.5 (15) vs 2 (20) = 25% difference.
    1.3 (13) vs 1.4 (14) = 8% difference (14 is 8% more than 13). :)

8. Truhart

Truhart Chieftain

I was just victimized by the "Vanishing Unit Bug" for the first time. :sad:
    I had moved a mass invasion force into North Greece to sweep down (playing Germans). I had 2 stacks of armor, one with 5 tanks... it was mysteriously moved out of Greece to Bulgaria. The second stack had 8 tanks and vanished completely.

Here are clues that may help... anyone else might have simularities.
    1) USSR declared war on Finland on turn units vanished.
    2) Yugoslavia and Baltics declared war on USSR this same turn.
    3) Huge landing force of Brittish and Americans appeared next to Casablanca this same turn.
    4) Turn was begining of Week 4, January 1940. France and Belgium already defeated.

Are any of these events something in common with other games when units vanish?

9. Crash757

Crash757 King

Omg, aliens abducting units :eek: Cool feature! :goodjob:

10. tenkk

tenkk Chieftain

This is interesting. When i had units disappear I had also just started a war with finland and the baltics

11. Halibutt

Halibutt Chieftain

I don't know if anyone mentioned that before, but... the scenario seems great, but so far Germany is barely playable. They have lots of units and so on, but the cities run out of food at the very beginning of the game and, after two or three turns, the population drops by half or so. Is it intended? Also, Stalin seems to be angry at Hitler from the very beginning, which is quite non-historical. In fact in 1939 both USSR and Nazi Germany were allied...
    Cheers

12. LaCiencia

LaCiencia Data is Power

I have been busy playing as USSR in Field Marshall level.:)

Fisrt of all I took Bialystok and Lwow, and immediately after the Baltic Countries, not giving the chance to make a Defensive pact with nobody else. At the end of 1940 I took Romania, that was stupid enough not to make an alliance with nobody else, and Spain & Portugal almost killed Greece. I decided to leave Turkey alone, and focus to have a strong West Front.

In the begining of 1941 the more insteresting event before the war between USSR and Axis mid 1941, was that Sweden proposed USSR a permanent Alliance!, of course I worked that initiave long before, as I decided to have Scandinavian Countries on my side, to have a north stronger front against Germany, that sooner or later will present battle.

I had followed your comments, and I have found a similar effect but in "reverse", I took Berlin (and I was disappointed that nothing else happens :cry: ) and fighting for Hannover, there was 5 units remaining in the city. 1 Ar-234, 1 Me-262, 1 Panzer IV and 2 garrisons. The panzer was almost dead (0.2 strength) so I used Katyushkas to kill garrisons, probably for the collateral effect and all of the sudden the panzer was gone! :lol: I think that this could happens when units inside the stack has a very low strength.

Just the planes remaining inside the cities I used a mobile infantry to take over, and paf! the grame crashed. No error report. I had another crash before and I was suspecting that maybe a plane loaded with infantry was inside the city, but not this time.

I agree with the comments about the population decrease with the snow, and I saw Paasky solution, sounds good.;)

Civics and War Weariness. After around 30 turns USSR war weariness was so high that I barely could produce the cheapest unit (infantry and garrisons), in my opinion civics should be rearranged to last far less, or just eliminate war weariness :D , let say except for the "non-actives" countries in order no to invite them to the war.:confused: or not?

13. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

They were allied, but they weren't all that friendly.

14. LaCiencia

LaCiencia Data is Power

See the link in this same thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3886937&postcount=726

Paasky will rearrange the relationships. Wszystko w porzadku w Polsce? ;)

15. Paasky

The Soviets & Gemans will still have icy relationships, mostly so that they would go to war with each other. Same reason the USSR-BAL relationship is -100 (thats the same as 100 "-1 Our close borders spark tensions"s).

For the non-democratic civs, the only way to remove war weariness is to build Secret Police offices. I'll also increase the amount the broadcast tower changes it (if it does it at all).

Apparently it is a good idea to save before attacking a city which doesn't have any real defenders in it...

That is indeed a good question: W/Should Germany fall if Berlin is captured? Or should it rather be like this: If GER has 3 or less cities remaining & german capital is captured, then germany would surrender.

16. LaCiencia

LaCiencia Data is Power

I built Secret Police Office & broadcast tower in ALL my cities. The effect was the one I already described, galloping war weariness.

very good question... depends who you ask it. In order to do no harm :mischief: I would say that after the fall of Berlin all non-german cities should flip back :confused: or at least french cities :) and Germany will fight to the very end, fair what is fair.

Maybe you can invoke a brainstorm about possible other events? when can we expect next update? so far same Beta 3.30.1 in the link;)

17. Hardner

Hardner Emperor

Maaapp!?!?

18. Truhart

Truhart Chieftain

I have found every situation workable if you save often and watch the alliances. Here are a few work-a-rounds I am using:

The vanishing bug seemed to be more connected to oil resource hexes. I returned to a previous save and avoided the spaces where oil was and my units did not vanish.

When the last unit in a city is a carrier of any type and is loaded, you must remove it and (if you want to be fair :D ) return just the passenger unit to the city before attacking it again. This will eliminate the crashes.

By editting the snow spaces and putting snow on hills and forest but not on grass and plains, you get a nice winter visual effect, but can avoid starvation. Once Paasky increases food production this should not be needed.

After I changed the interception rate of fighters, giving the Allias only a small advantage and making Bf-109e to 55% instead of 50% ... the air war is very accurate. Germans will still get spanked if they try to bomb Brittain, but now Brittain cannot destroy every single pasture, mine, and plantation they choose with no losses. Once they have overwhelming numerical advantage, they will be able to bomb Germany into submission. In 1940-1941 this was not the case.

As to unrealistic alliances, I think the variety of diplomacy actions that the AI will choose are part of what makes this MOD so much fun to play over and over. We can read a History book to see what historically happened, but the game is full of surprises and variety. :)

19. Truhart

Truhart Chieftain

To combat War-Weariness in USSR and Germany, there should be a special unit that has a very large Happiness effect but has double upkeep cost (must pay for loyalty). German "SS Garrison" and USSR "Stalin Garrison" could serve this purpose.

Just a suggestion. :)

I have aquired the tech to make Medium Tanks and noticed the Pz IIIH and Pz IV are identical in this MOD. Both are 6-3 and have no attributes to differentiate them. The most numerous Pz IV model built would certainly be the Pz IVH with over 3700 produced. This tank had 80mm armor and the best armor piercing gun (75mm L/48) until the Panther was developed with it's outstanding 75mm L/70 gun. The Pz IIIH was faster but otherwise not in the same league.

20. Paasky

Yep, the Pz IV & Pz IIIH are as good. But I'll do the strengths you gave me for the tanks ;)

:p I kept forgetting the map... here it is. Another thing it's missing is horses. And I can't guarantee that the resources are as abundant or that they are in the exact correct position as they are really, but that shouldn't matter too much.

I'll raise the amount of war weariness the buildings reduce.

Attached Files: