WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful for IV - Discussion & Creation Diary

Thanks for your hard work Paasky. This has been a huge undertaking for you, and you are doing a great job.

The only way to learn how to mod is to start a huge project from scratch :D

The Nap scenario has been in the making for only about 2-3 weeks, and already its almost ready to be played, except for the unit & building placement :shocked:

The reason NAP is going smoothly and is easier I think is you have only a few Nations that are playable by Human.

If you designed WWII for only
Germany = Team 1
Brittain/Poland = Team 2
France/Belgium/Holland/Norway = Team 3
USSR = Team 4
Italy/Romania/Bulgaria/Hungary = Team 5

Then set all other Minor Nations to not declare war or Alliance... would have been easier and took less work. Also would play more realistic. Just my oppinion. ;)

Thanks Paasky, this gonna help me a lot with terrains, hills, woods and res! Here's a preview of what I'm creating:

Attachments

• test.ScreenShot.1.jpg
    test.ScreenShot.1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 157
Truhart said:
The reason NAP is going smoothly and is easier I think is you have only a few Nations that are playable by Human.

If you designed WWII for only
Germany = Team 1
Brittain/Poland = Team 2
France/Belgium/Holland/Norway = Team 3
USSR = Team 4
Italy/Romania/Bulgaria/Hungary = Team 5

Then set all other Minor Nations to not declare war or Alliance... would have been easier and took less work. Also would play more realistic. Just my oppinion. ;)

You're a bit wrong there: The extra playables don't create almost any work, as they don't have anything unique.

And the NapEuro has 18 civs, and all are playable :p

Dear Paasky

I just recently discovered your wonderful scenario! I want to thank you on a job exquisitely done!

You asked to report any bug people might encounter in order to improve. I don't know if anybody might have report this one:

When trying to caputure Brussels (Bryxeles in the game) CIV IV freezes up and the standard error message of windows XP appear that CIV needs to shut down. I tried entering Brussels with several different units all with the same result. Only an engineer and naval transport are still within the city limits. I can send you the .sav file if you want, then you can see for yourself. I installed the latest patch of the game.

Do you know any solution to this problem? I am a complete "novice/rookie" when it comes to programming and the like, I just love to play your scenario.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

gert:
as you might find on this epic thread, the bug is the naval transport in the city...if you capture a city with transported units inside, apparantly the game crashes.
So if you want to fix it, go into worldbuilder and delete the units as you please.

Yeah I noticed it..just now! Thanks for the help jlocke, now I need to figure out how to actually delete it!...never too old to learn. Can anyone give some hints?!? Just a novice on the worldbuilder thing...:D

gertjantommel:
To remove a unit can be a pain because I found no way to simply delete one unit in a city. Follow these steps...

The way I would do it is to enter WORLDBUILDER and press EDIT CITY to examine the city. Write down the buildings in the city, it's total Culture, population and alignment.

Then use the WORLDBUILDER button second from left, on top row (DELETE) and delete the city.

Then you press PLAYER MODE and click to change the name of PLAYER to the leader of the civ that owned the deleted city. Then click BUILDINGS tab still in PLAYER MODE and make a new city on same spot.

Then click the EDIT CITY button again and restore the city to how it was when you deleted it.

You must use PLAYER MODE one more time to place the Engineer back in the city (if you wish), but don't replace the Transport there or the Engineer might jump back inside it (Engineers love to make your game crash :lol: ).

If anybody knows a easier way to delete one unit inside a AI city, please tell us. :)

Paasky:
You're a bit wrong there: The extra playables don't create almost any work, as they don't have anything unique.
And the NapEuro has 18 civs, and all are playable

My mistake. I thought that each nation that was Human Playable required you to playtest and balance them to make sure they were playable... not too strong and not too weak when in the hands of a Human. Then make sure the same if the AI controlled them. :crazyeye:

Human players are stronger than AI, so a Nation that a Human would play nicely might need more power if the AI is playing it. This means that you have to test until you find a delicate balance for each playable Nation so it is not too strong when Human - or too weak as AI. I thought this would be lots of work.

OzzyKP said:
They were allied, but they weren't all that friendly.
Well, common military parades, a lot of trade, a lot of cooperation when it comes to both war against Poland and the suppression of the Polish resistance, German non-intervention in Finland in 1939/1940... if it wasn't friendship, it certainly was not hostility.

LaCiencia said:
See the link in this same thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3886937&postcount=726

Paasky will rearrange the relationships. ;)
Makes sense. Thanks

[QUOTE="LaCiencia]Wszystko w porzadku w Polsce? [/QUOTE]Claro k si :)
Cheers

Halibutt said:
Well, common military parades, a lot of trade, a lot of cooperation when it comes to both war against Poland and the suppression of the Polish resistance, German non-intervention in Finland in 1939/1940... if it wasn't friendship, it certainly was not hostility.

I would say it was just a temporary purely pragmatic arrangement - a marriage of convenience of sorts. Beneath the friendly surface both sides were gearing up for war with each other. Hitler hated the communists and Slavs, and Russians were both communist and Slav. Remember that by then Hitler already had ideas about Lebensraum - and fulfilment of this idea would require elimination of Russia. Stalin on the other hand, was heavily militarizing the Soviet Union, and most preparations weren't defensive in nature. There is a point of view that Stalin was planning to invade Germany eventually. So it is very likely that by signing the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact both sides were simply buying time.

Unfortunately, in Civ4 it is not possible to have relations which are polite on the surface, but with both sides planning to back-stab each other.

I believe documents released in the last few years disclose meetings between Stalin and Soviet leadership that show he was planning for war, building up arms and planning to use them against Germany.

I have heard many oppinions here on Soviet-Nazi relationship, and everybody is correct from what I have read and studied.

Stalin hated Hitler and feared Japan. He also knew Hitler was well studied and had excellent generals, concluding that Germany would never enter a two-front war. Stalin and Hitler were both using the APPEARANCE of a friendship with each other to intimidate other enemies.

It was more like the relationship between a prostitute and a john. They shared "affection" and both got what they wanted, but they both went straight home afterwards and took a long, hot bath. ;)

Truhart said:

If anybody knows a easier way to delete one unit inside a AI city, please tell us. :)

You can delete units with the right mouse button. I don't know what option you need to use, but it's selected when you enter the WB. (You can delete just about everything this way by selecting the right option.)

snarko said:
You can delete units with the right mouse button. I don't know what option you need to use, but it's selected when you enter the WB. (You can delete just about everything this way by selecting the right option.)
And to make sure you delete the corerct unit, do these steps:
Ctrl+w for Worldbuilder
Player Mode
Select the unit you want to delete from the unitlist
Right-click on the square where that unit is.

If you don't select the unit, it will delete some unit, prob the weakest one, but I don't know about that.

So no need to use paper & delete the entire city ;)

As I really don't want to script wars to begin, so making the attitudes to -100 is the only way to ensure atleast a small chance of battle.

I'll start fixing now, and hopefully release the new update today too :)

Thanks Snarko and Paasky!
I could have sworn I tried right mouse button, but I probably didn't target the unit first. This makes things MUCH easier. :cool:

I took a try at renaming armor and changing their stats and made XML get sick and puke. I think that ME trying to add -50% vs INF to Marder was not proper in XML. It was a open vehicle and infantry would kill the crew easily, but tanks feared it. Is it possible to make a unit -50% vs armor or infantry?

ADDED 4/10/2006:
I did it! The changes to units worked. I had made a simple mistake of not putting </unitmods> at end of a change. Now I want to save my map changes somehow so my version with rivers and removed Transports is the standard map for the MOD. I'll figure it out. :)

Top Bottom