WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful for IV - Discussion & Creation Diary

I cant make the mod work. I do as u say in the installation guide, but when the game restarts, it crashes and says something about runtime error. that is when i use te link on ure posts. When i use the links in the installation guide, i cant seem to find it in the scenarios, but it does say ww2 in top right of the screen

Sorry folks, I accidentally lost some civ4 files in a format c, hence no civ4 modding.

Just got BtS though! And I've decided that instead of continuing with my very own mod, I'll just make a SFB version of the Road to War mod that ships with BtS. After playing as the French from 1936 to June 1938, some thoughts:

- More units (for the Beautiful aspect)
- Smaller Map (for the Small & Fast aspect)
- More Civs (to ruin the Fast aspect :p)
- Spanish Civil War
- Edited civics (mobilisation levels for instance)
- Hitler & Swastikas for the Hun
- Remove Great Leader Names (Zhan Zuin has been born in Helsinki? Riiight...)
- Unit Languages (atm atleast the french speak fluent American)
- Typo's (The Italians city of Rome, Gibralter, etc)

As I continue playing, I shall prob pick up more. Any ideas anyone wants to throw in would be good, as I have only played one game of default BtS, and have just discovered Railroads.

Whew! Until now I seriously didn't realize how damn diverse WWII was vehicle wise:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/peksoft/files/wwii_units.htm

Not really sure about the Hungarian tanks though. Also, the French department looks (for understandable reasons) very slim.

As for the various units & their purpose:

Infantry: Cheap, good in cities
Arty: Bombardment
Mobile Arty: Faster, more expensive Arty

Submarine: Good vs big ships, hidden
Destroyer: Good vs subs, cheap, fast
Cruiser: Cheaper & faster than the BB
Battleship: Good vs ships, bad vs subs & aircraft
Carrier: Aircraft Carrier

Light Tank: Early in the game the only tanks available, good vs Inf, fast (usually)
Med Tank: Good all-rounder, most cost-effective tank
Support Tank: Good vs Infantry, slow, expensive, heavily armoured
Heavy Tank: slow, expensive, heavily armoured, good vs tanks
Main Battle Tank: Fast & strong all-rounder
Tank Buster: Cheap, weak but has a big +% vs tanks

Fighter: +% vs air units
Interceptor: +% vs bombers, usually better at ground attack
Jet Fighter: Can evade interception better
Strike Bomber: No collateral, but can kill units
Med Bomber: Good collateral, cheap
Heavy Bomber: Long range, big collateral, low max damage per unit
Jet Bomber: Can evade interception better

In paper>rock>scissors terms:

Tank Buster>Heavy Tank>Med Tank>Light Tank>Infantry>Tank Buster

Battleship>Cruiser>Destroyer
Submarine>Cruiser & Battleship
Aircraft>Battleship

Fighter>Interceptor>Bomber>Land & Sea Units

First version will include the new units, civics, and other graphic & text changes. Then comes the Spanish Civil War & Smaller Map.

You'll stuff up a lot of balance changing the production civics, but I'm very interested to see how you go. :)

Well, I've basically swapped the old production civics ino the Army Status civics.

I wonder though, is it still impossible for civ to support multi-mod loading? Civ3 could do this, making the creation of minimods very easy (just add a line that tells the game to load a mod, then load the minimod)

As for more edits, everyone will have the same infantry to begin with, the graphical & strength differences are done by promotions & civ specific graphics.

Isn't your techtree a little bit too crowdy?

Having just three degrees for every technology would be more in the "Small and Fast" spirit, and would make it easier for you to lay it down.
Let's say a '39, '42 and '45 development phases.

And after some testing, if you find it too poor you can still add new degrees....

I thought of that too, but in fact I did the techtree for the units & civics. The only things not really that needed are the encryption & espionage techs, which I might delete.
Also, to really simplify it, I could just make the techs into Armaments, Tanks, Ships, Aircraft, Manufacturing & Research. But that would make it pretty dull.

The amount of units I have is quite horrific... Even without ANY UU's, I've got about 140 units! Naturally they will be slimmed down, as I'm using them as placeholders for now. I'll try to limit the total amount of units to < 200, and units per nation at about 50 (depending on their status).

I just noticed, If I want to have every nation from USSR to Albania, I need 26 civs!

Just got BtS though! And I've decided that instead of continuing with my very own mod, I'll just make a SFB version of the Road to War mod that ships with BtS.

I was thinking that it would then be more appropriate starting a new thread in the Road to War forum.
It could be propitiatory too.... :spear:

Heyo, this is looking like a pretty sweet project!

This might sound pretty stupid of me to ask....but...is it playable? XD (had just dled it) :p

I'm of course impressed with all the work that has been done so far. The only thing I ask is that the AI be modified and improved from the original? Has that already been done? will that be done?

The Road to War scenario is already a very developed mod, but made completely unplayable for single player (in my opinion) by the lack of an intelligent WWII AI. Even if that was the *only* thing you changed, I would never play anything but WWII SF&B.

That being said, I love all the changes I'm seeing, from nation traits, unique graphics, new civics, etc. etc. etc.

Not dead, just in Limbo. I think I've restarted the project three times, but have always got busy with something else, then forgotten about it, and restarting again after a while.

Maybe someday I'll finally get something finished ;)

Top Bottom