1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Paasky, May 28, 2004.

1. MORG

MORG Chieftain

:) Hey good to hear from you Paasky. I've been a fan of your work for a couple of years now. I've been checking over and seeing what you're doing in civ4...it may, just may make me pick it up again.:eek:

I did come down a little hard on those other games, it's just been dissapointing that lessons learned on the balance between abstraction and immersion in strat games have been brushed aside in favor of the new culturally correct trends toward glitz and low substance that is modern gaming (I'm starting to sound like a grognard - :blush: ). HOI2 is ok, it has a lot under the hood...I just can't get immersed looking at it because I see through the abstraction, it's more like playing risk, and yeh, the aircraft thing bugs me. And then how much the niche market charges for new ww2 strat games that don't offer half of the features of civ4...for $50 :mad: (like Matrix/Slitherine's recent Europe Commander)...I guess at near 40 years old with a family, I see the value of money different. Ok..rant done.

Maybe you could show just a bit more of America in your civ4 ESFB, to get it off the map edges, maybe even make it it's own nation and give it a city in England (I know that's not original, but it's an idea).

My mod of your mod has been pretty minor. I used some of the ideas of Luthor Saxburg (page 46), added the terrain mod, cleaned up the map corners and edges so you can clearly make out those areas. I took away the units that are hard to visulize at division or brigade level, like sniper, sharfshutz, flamethrower units, panzerjaeger units (which I used like mortar units - way to powerful, didn't need arty using those) so that I could just abstract those units being already included in my Jakari and Fallshirmjaeger units. Making my loved "sturmi" a little cheaper is on my list to do. O..and I gave Finland and Germany oil to better represent synthetic production and balance the game so it's not a resource-camp game...and because I wanted to play as Finland;) . I like your idea of toning down the tanks some, maybe some of the other fans of ESFB could make some suggestions on this. One other comment on ESFB is playing as a minor nation it is way to ease to get hundreds of cash each turn for Mutual Protection from Britain or Germany...is there a way to fix this?

BTW, if I ever get the time, I want to make a simple winter war mod for civ3..I see where it's been worked on for 4, but I don't know if I ever will get to it. Since I was young, my uncle who was a teenager when the winter war happened (and never forgot it) passed on stories to me of how the Finns bravely held off the invader. If you want a challenging and unit-accurate game for Close Combat - try Karelia2 (the Continuation War) for CC5. It's a pretty accurate recreation, and the author of the mod is Finnish.

My current game as the Finns (Monarch, very aggressive); Mannerheim / Falka line complete and reinforced, conquest of Scandanavia complete (Norway and Sweden crossed my borders with units each time to provoke me). Infrastructure at 90%. Next phase, build a fleet to carry 30 divisions to America and take them out of the war so I can focus on the inevitable crush by the soviets. :cool:

2. MORG

MORG Chieftain

Not to double post, but I had a few ideas for a future version of the mod if Paasky approves.

I've always wanted to make good looking unit icons, for example, an infantry division represented by a few smaller men holding a variety of weapons. For an armor division, same principle, with 2 small tanks with 2 or 3 men in the background. I know theres been some negative feedback on doing this in other mods, but I still think it could be done and with the right animations it could look good.

These units could also have a true bombard rating of 30 (maybe a range of 2?) or so to represent the organic mortars and arty that are attached to a division. The icons would be the same even when upgraded (maybe just different color variations?), demonstrating that the equipment, etc. has gotten better for the unit but the basic combined arms organization of the division remains basically the same even though it's gone from pzkfwgn II to IV for example. This would keep the numbers of unit icons down to a manageable level. Probably would leave aircraft and ships alone.

I think that maybe placing some more triggers to make Germany and Italy more aggresive toward Britain would be good. It's tempting to make a contrived narrow land bridge from the continent or across gibraltar (a trick that worked well in RomeTW-RTR mod). Italy just sits there most of the time twiddling it's thumbs.

Comments anyone?

3. Paasky

Paasky Good News Everyone!

Too much reading for this early in the morning :lol:

In the civ4 version there is no America, just convoys that spawn in the west edge of the atlantic for GBR & USSR, depending on certain events and stuff.

The MPP bugs are just a part of civ3, nothing anyone can do about them. If you hold the few first turns until doing any deals the AI gets to assess the sitation a bit better & not make completely absurd deals.

The great thing about civ4 is it's moddability. I actually have a winter & summer in the map, so the map starts slowly turning snowy at around november-december (depending on the latitude), and then thawing away at around january-march, when the last of the snow has gone. It looks very good, and this way the Winter War is actually waged in the winter, and making big offensives in the winter aren't going to be that blitzy.

Making new icons isn't that difficult, just get yourself a copy of Photo- or Paintshop & get cracking ;)

Making a land-bridsge from France to GBR has 2 very big drawbacks: 1) it makes the English Channel unpassable by ships (I miss civ2...) and also it lets Gemany steamroll straight into London completely bypassing the Royal Navy.

For Italy it might work, but it would require some clever placements of cities to let both the British & Italians pass through the landbridge.

4. hoffman44

hoffman44 Chieftain

I downloaded and extracted everything right, but i get an error, it says something like "unit not found mg_btln.ini

5. Paasky

Try re-extracting. If it still doesn't work, see if you have that file in civ3\conquestss\scenarios\wwii europe\.

6. hoffman44

hoffman44 Chieftain

I fixed it, i changed the "_" in the file name to a " ".
    But now i get a the same error but for the allied carrier which isn't in the folder.

7. Paasky

That's really strange, cause it should be working perfectly after extracting the patch over the main files... I have a hunch the default carrier is called carrier\carrier.ini hough.

8. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

I'm downloading the main and updates here but some of the links are broken to include the Background Music.
    I need a new link to the Background Music files
    Thanks
    Ray

9. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

after trying this baby out I've discovered that several Pedialcons entries are missing. this is after the 28b update, as I said before a few of the links are broken, please help. I'd like to this one as a pbem

10. Cal_Varos

Cal_Varos Chieftain

11. prokid123

prokid123 Chieftain

Hey...I know this old but I really wanted to play this. I downloaded everything and when I go to start the game..it loads for about 5 minutes, then it says Arts\Units\rifle_infantry.INI could not be loaded.
    Any ideas?

12. turfcat

turfcat Prince

I had a similar problem when I dled it quite a while ago. I fixed the problem but I don't remember how. I'll check my version and post the repaired file.;)

13. turfcat

turfcat Prince

Here's the repaired file for rifle_infantry
    place it in the units folder
    I also remember having a problem with mortar infantry.
    If you have this problem place the file mortar in the same folder.
    Then replace the pedialcons file with this one.

14. smirnoff

smirnoff Crusader

nice scenario , i like it a lot :goodjob:

15. Angelle

Angelle Chieftain

What are the exact difference between the German as AI and the normal version?

16. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

Paasky, the link for the background music is broken and I would like to hear your selection. Can you upload it somewhere else?
    Overall, with some slight remarks, this is the best WWII scenario I've ever played!
    Some suggestions if you ever plan working on it again:
    - national resource trade leads to some second rate armies getting too good German equipment;
    - it would be good to find a way of involving Yugoslavia and the Scandinavian countries on the side of the Allies;
    - Baltic countries should not be at war with Germany and resist the Soviet occupation;
    - cities should be named consequntly: either native names or German names everywhere (Memel, Krakau, Lemberg, Sudauen, etc.);
    - the game is too easy for both Germany and Italy, while USSR and France are underestimated;
    - the Soviet navy and partisans are missing.
    Thank you for this excellent work!

17. alino

alino Chieftain

Paasky,

I downloaded the scenario and followed your "First time downloaders" instructions, however, it doesn't work. It seems that the .biq files are not read by my Civilization III that would rather require .bic files. Do you think that is the problem? Or is it something I did?

Another thing, while extracting the files to the folder "Scenarios" I didn't go thorugh the folder "Conquests" like you indicated (because I don't have it), could that be it?

Thank you so much for your time

18. General 666

General 666 Culturebringer

Then you don`t own the Expansion pack "Conquests". What is exactly what we all have.
    Without Conquest you are wasting your time trying to install this. Sorry ! :p

19. wants to know

wants to know Chieftain

I can't get the scenario name to appear in the civ-content screen, i've moved the art and text files to the art and text folders, but that removes them from the main folder, am i just supposed to leave those files in there or are their things i didn't do, i looked at the downloading and installing instructions and i can't figure out if i did anything wrong. I really want to play this scenario but i can't get it to work, i'll be fiddling with the file locations until they work or someone gets back to me on this

20. wants to know

wants to know Chieftain

I got the name to show up, but now i have an error message that prevents me from loading it after i first click on the title.

LOAD ERROR

Error Reading File

Missing entry in "Scenarios\..\conquests\WWII in the Pacific\text\PediaIcons.txt"

ICON_BLDG_STADIUM

i'm not sure why it's mentioning WWII in the Pacific but regardless i still can't play, i downloaded both the main files and the increment patch, i believe i installed them right but this message is preventing me from playing, can anyone help