1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WWII Greek Evzones Rifleman (02.11.05)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by W.i.n.t.e.r, Nov 2, 2005.

1. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

WWII Greek Evzones Rifleman (Neutral) v.1.0

get it here, at my units section (post 5)

Note: To all you epic game Greek fans, WWII-Scenario experts and What-if-World builders- here is your genuine Greek Rifleman Soldier as appeared in the period of WWII.

"In 1936, general Ioannis Metaxas established a fascist regime in Greece. Greek fascism had many similarities with its German and Italian counterparts, yet retained specific features which made it slightly different. Despite the country's numerically small and ill-equipped armed forces, Greece made an important contribution to the Allied efforts in World War II. At the start of the war Greece sided with the Allies and refused to give in to Italian demands (see Oxi Day).

On October 28, 1940, the Italians attacked Greece from Albania with inadequate preparation and force, and were initially able to make a progress of some kilometers inside Greek soil. After stopping the invasion, the Greeks launched a counter attack on the 14 November 1940 which pushed the Italians back into Albania. This made good progress at first, but eventually ground to a halt with the fronts stalemated, due to Italian reinforcements, and exhaustion, lack of transport vehicles and inadequate supply on the Greek side. After the failure of a second Italian offensive in March 1941, intended by Mussolini to bring a success for Italian arms before the looming German intervention, the front went relatively quiet, but still forcing the Greeks to commit the bulk of their forces and equipment there, leaving only slight forces to cover the Bulgarian frontier. When the Germans moved into Bulgaria in preparation for the invasion, Greece formally asked for British intervention. This marked the first Allied victory in the war.

On April 7th, 1941, the German Army invaded northern Greece, stunning the British and Greeks, and making them pull back their forces from deep into Albania to keep them from being flanked and destroyed. The Greek national sentiment was such that the army had to maintain a position along the "Metaxas Line", all along the northern border of Greece, near the port of Thessalonica. This was untenable from the start, and it was easy for the Germans to break through at multiple points with their Panzer groups. This, in turn, necessitated a Greco-British retreat further to the narrow pass at Thermopylae, where the Germans broke through again, all the way down until German forces were at the Acropolis. After some brief actions on the Peloponnese, the Greeks and British Commonwealth forces retreated to Crete. In the highly contested Battle of Crete, the Germans employed parachute forces and forced the British and New Zealanders off the southern half of the island, making Germany the dominant force in the Mediterranean."

2. Quinzy

Quinzy Chieftain

nice unit. cant wait for the next one. :)

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I love your work Winter. Absolutely fantastic work with your cut and paste. Really great work.

4. Snorken

Snorken Chieftain

Yeah, your units are pretty good, Winter. I think they're a little underestimated, though.

Edit: Wait! Haven't I seen this before? I recognise the pic.

5. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

Another one that goes into my mod.

6. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

Thank you for your friendly comments, mates :D Its just a bit of pixel shifting, but I like it alrite...

(yep, I scanned the left pic before for inspirational purposes while searchng for features and colours of the unit)

btw.: The next version of SOE will feature an additional helmeted Greek Rifleman ;)

7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Ver nice unit ^_^

8. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

9. Spartakos

Spartakos Chieftain

So this is how my grandfather looked like :mischief:

This is the type of units that held the war against the Axis for over 200 days, where a superpower like France managed less than 50 :)

Nice work m8

10. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

11. skam0073

skam0073 Chieftain

12. BadKharma

BadKharma Chieftain

Brilliant Job! I really like the soft cap instead of a helmet.