WWII Pacific Theatre of Operation (Japan)

WWII Pacific Theatre of Operation (Japan)

Scenario file is at end of this post
Political/geographical screenshot maps are in next post (readme)
Units for the scenario are in the 3rd post

This is my first scenario for civ3. This one is mainly about naval warfare in the pacific during ww2.

This is the final version. I would like to add stuff later on though. IMO this scenario makes naval warfare fun.
The AI will send attack fleet to naval chokepoints, subs will be your nightmare, and more.

I tried to make the scenario to be kept on a fast pace, with minimal cities and units. However turns still take a
while to complete, its like a civ3 game in modern age, with about a dozen cities. You also have to manage a multi front
war set across 2 continents and 1 ocean, not forgetting that you manage land/air/sea forces, and the defense of each
region.

If you follow the first or second goal, you know your turns are limited so this makes things much different.

When playing be careful of the Russians (Stalin's Soviet Union). You start at war with the Soviets (among other civs), so
defend yourself appropriately on the russian front (Manchuria area). Don't expect the soviets to be nice neighbors, there
tanks will try to blitz right through you right at the start (Stalin is dying to get a golden age..)

Bombers are lethal at sea and ground. Artillery is lethal to ground units. Battleships are lethal to sea units.
Destroyers can upgrade to AEGIS cruisers, but the scenario isnt meant to go on that long (robotics).

When taking over cities, remember that most cities already have a significant industrial strength. It's up to you
if you want to destroy that industrial strength, or capture it. Since turns are short in reserve, building a factory
takes up a large portion of the time avaialble for the war.

Remember that air trade is off, and only sea and coast tiles can do water trade. also don't move any naval unit in
an ocean square or else it might sink !!

Watchout for enemy subs..

Pick something to research when you start. Either radio or economics (both required to advance an era).

Don't forget to install the units and please post comments after you try out my scenario or if you have any questions, etc!
Thanks!

Scenario:
WWII Pacific Theatre of Operation (Japan) (for civ3 v1.29, playing on a 100x100 map)

Type:
Naval warfare scenario based on the war in the pacific during world war II (ww2).
This scenario is a SAV file. You simply download it and load it as a game, after installing the required units.

It's a SAV file because:
1- The difficulty is custom
2- The map had to be revealed
3- Political relations had to be set
4- Other starting conditions had to be set

Summary:
You're the leader of the strong and the proud Japanese civilization. As a direct descendant of the Sun Goddess
Amaterasu, it is your right to lead all the Asian people to a life of prosperity.

However western powers do not wish to lose there mighty colonial powers in Asia, and have hampered your
progress by closing the flow of oil and rubber you need so badly. Now you're faced with an unavoidable war in
Asia that you can no longer supply.

Good luck!

How to win:

Accomplish one of the four goals:

1- Control these cities before 1350 BC (about 60 turns or 5 years)

(already under your control)
Tokyo, Kure, Sapporo, Naha, Iwo Jima, Taipei, Seoul, Dairen, Saipan, Marshall Islands.

(not under your control)
Pekin, Tientsin, Wuhan, Shanghai, Nanking, Hong Kong, Hanoi, Saigon, Bangkok, Manila, Davao, Guam,
Singapore, Sandakan, Banjarmasin, Jakarta, Sorong, Jayapura, Port Moresby, East Timor, Guadalcanal,
Midway, Johnston Atoll, Pearl Harbor.

2- Accomplish these goals before 2310 BC (about 36 turns or 3 years)

Capture Pearl Harbor, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle and destroy Washington (raze the USA capital
to the ground).

3- Reach domination victory (long game)

4- Reach diplomatic victory (even longer game)

Civilizations in the game:

Super powers:
United States of America, President Roosevelt
Japan, Emperor Hirohito

Western powers:
Canada, Prime Minister Mackenzie King
Soviet Union, Generalissimo Joseph Stalin
India, Viceroy Mountbatten
Commonwealth of Australia, Governor-General Isaac Isaacs

Minor American powers:
Republica del Venezuela, Presidente Angarita
Republica del Ecuador, Presidente Velasco Ibarra
Republica del Peru, Presidente Manuel Prado
Republica del Chile, Presidente Pedro Cerda
Cuba, Presidente Batista
Mexico, Presidente Cardenas

Minor Asian powers:
China, Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek
French Indochina, Marshal Philippe Petain
Netherlands Indies, Governor-General Van Starkenborgh
Mongolia, Marshal Choybalsan

Different rules:

The Japanese government (Imperialism) type is only avaialble with Integrated Defense, an advance you
wont normally discover until much much later. Don't topple your Japanese monarchy!

New units are in the next posts.

Settlers can't be built. The cities present on the map when started are the only possible cities during the
game.

There is no more Air Trade routes. It's all sea and land routes (Paratroopers still work though). So now
blockades do work effectively.

Workers are much more expensive. Railways, mines and irrigation are therefore much more valuable, so
take care when bombarding.

Ocean tiles cost 6 movement points and all sea units may sink in them. The AI avoids it and so should you
unless you wish to lose your naval units.

New minor wonders (some new, some are replacements) are called HQs. There is Asian HQ, Naval HQ and
a Pacific HQ. These act just like the forbidden palace.

List of new wonders:

Hawaii (+1 trade per worked tile)
East Indies Company (same as smith trading)
Canadian Dominion (2x research output)
Islam (+2 happy in all cities)
Dutch Empire (+1 happy in all cities, 2x research)
National Food reserves (free granary in all cities)
Hubble Telescope (+1 happy in all cities, 2x research)
Panama Canal (+1 trade per worked tile)
Christianity (doubles effects of Cathedrals)
Way of the Samurai (free baracks in all cities)
Buddhism (doubles effects of Temples)
Australian Dominion (2x research)
British Empire (2x research, +1 happy in all cities)
French Empire (2x research, +1 happy in all cities)
Buddhist Temple (free Temple in all cities)
Japanese Empire (2x research, +1 happy in all cities)

Player situation at the start of the game:

Government, Imperialism
10 cities, 3800 gold (with a -205 per turn deficit)

Researching: Nothing

Spies: United States, Australia, Netherland Indies, French Indochina and China

Embassies in all civs except Venezuela, Peru, Cuba

Foreign relations:
At war with: Soviet Union, China, French Indochina, Australia, Netherland Indies, Venezuela,
Mexico

Bad relations with India, United States, Canada, Cuba, Peru
Good relations with Ecuador (plus active trade and a ROP) and Chile (plus active trade and a ROP)

Gracious relations with Mongolia, with Military alliance against China (plus ROP and trade)

Active trades: Iron to Ecuador, Wines from Chile, Ivory, Spices and Gems from India, Iron to India,
Incense and
Horses from Mongolia, Coal to Mongolia.

Trade routes to oil and rubber have just been cut off. Cities building items requiring oil/rubber can still
finish the item in the current queue.

Military situation:
-Air force reserves stationed in taipei
-Paratroopers fortified in Taipei and waiting for Luzon airdrops (Manila)
-Battalions and imperial marines in troop transports to fight in indochina/dutch indies/philipine front,
coming from main japan island
-Aircraft carrier fleet ready to destroy american fleet near pearl harbor
-Smaller aircraft carrier begining to engage hong kong and hanoi
-1 patrol aircraft carrier fleet watching russian border, 1 patrol carrier fleet watching iwojima/midway sea
lane
-Army near Saigon waiting for orders to march in
-Tank units set to take over chinese cities of Wuhan, Pekin, Tientsin, Shangai and Nanking

Active units:
Fighters/bombers waiting orders
Troop transports, some destroyers and submarines
Chinese mainland attack force

Military: 414 units
84 Battalion, 52 artillery, 16 Kha-Go, 7 workers +4 captured chinese workers
57 marines, 1 Yamato Class, 8 battleships, 2 Hosho Class, 2 Unryu Class, 4 Shokaku Class, 4 Akagi Class, 12
destroyers, 12 submarines, 9 transports
16 paratroopers, 58 fighters, 70 japanese bombers

Stuff I'd like to add:

Leaderheads for each civs, still pictures or even animated ones
More custom made units and sounds
A version that uses civ3 default units

Bugs:

The save game gets the "polar ice caps" turned on after saving (post scenario config). It does this all the time,
so unfortunately they are there.

Some weird bug keeps renaming Yamoto unit to Yamato, will be trying to figure out that problem.

When there is a bombing (airplane) near the edge of the map (north/south) and the bomber animation
goes beyond the edges, the game sits there forever waiting for the bomber to return (who obviously fell off
the edge of the world). I moved cities away from the edge, but it can still happen when fighting units. I can't
figure out how to fix this, so save and becareful at the edges (anyone know if this a civ3 bug?)

Other:

No civilopedia.txt or anything else that mods the core game to much. I don't have any leaderheads either
since I wasn't sure on how to exactly package it (if anyone can help on that).

The map was made using the bmp2bic program. I took the marla world map, made it a bic2bmp, then
trimmed it down to 100x100. Then it was all about fixing little things and making it fun to play on.

There are historical inacuracies, many I'm sure that I'm unaware of. This scenario is for fun not realism and
it mainly comes from my love of a Pacific War game made by Koei, PTO and PTO 2 (PTO as in Pacific
Theatre of operation).

For example on the Sumatra Island, I placed a city called "Sumatra". No such thing I know. And Granada
being part of Mexico. Or Venezuela covering three nations. There are other things too I'm sure.
Spelling errors might be in there too, but as far as geographical locations go, different maps have
different spellings... so blame it on Rand McNally and the Ufficio Cartografico del touring club italiano.
And geographical errors are present too. Most of those are there for a reason though :)

If anyone wants more information about stats, units, improvements, anything, let me know. And if you
download this please let me know what you think !

Geographical map:

Political map:

I'm using a mix of civ3 default animations and custom created ones. It's just a 4.5 meg download, and then all
you need to do is unzip it to your X:\PATH_TO_CIV3\ART\UNITS\ directory.

Units file 1
Units file 2

If you already have the required animations you could always copy them, just use the same names (for the folder and ini...)

This is the list of units:

Air Transport (advanced helicopter) by BlueO from apolyton
Akagi Class (Japanese buildable only carrier, using default carrier animation)
Albatros (weak fighter, buildable by allies if they have no oil) by Kinboat from civfanatics
Asian Infantry (standard infantry for Asia using the NVA infantry animation) by sween32 from apolyton
B-52 bomber (operational range of 6 bomber, comes with rocketry) by Timeline from apolyton
Battalion (standard Japanese infantry requiring rubber, using the same NVA infantry animation above)
Casablanca Class (carrier that is buildable by allies, uses the ww2 carrier animation) by papajohns from civfanatics
Essex Class (carrier that is buildable by allies, using default carrier animation)
Fokker (weak fighter, buildable by allies if they have no oil) by Kinboat from civfanatics
Hosho Class (Japanese buildable only carrier, uses the same ww2 carrier animation above)
Imperial Marines (Japanese UU, marine type unit) by TVA22 from civfanatics
Infanteria (standard Infantry animation, for latin american civs, draftable, requires no rubber and starts GA)
Kamikaze (cheap bomber, costs 1 pop point, acts like a cruise missile) by TVA22 from civfanatics
Kha-Go (Japanese tanks, same stats) by Kinboat from civfanatics
Lexington Class (carrier that is buildable by allies, using default carrier animation)
Me-262 (expensive fighter Japan can build [by from ze germans] if no oil) by TVA22 from civfanatics
Military Transport (transport any land unit, requires oil, uses transport animation)
Mongolian Riders (UU for mongolia, uses the Cossack animation)
Nuclear Carrier (advanced carrier for all civs, default carrier animation)
Shokaku Class (Japanese buildable only carrier, using default carrier animation)
Stuka (expensive bomber Japan can build [by from ze germans] if no oil) by Smoking Mirror from civfanatics
Su-2 bomber (just a 2nd type of bomber allies can build, not a exact su-2 animation) by Smoking Mirror from civfanatics
Su-6 bomber (just a 3rd type of bomber allies can build, not a exact su-6 animation) by Smoking Mirror from civfanatics
Tiger (Soviet Union UU using the Panzer animation)
Torpedo Boat (weak naval unit, uses the ironclad animation)
Troop Transport (basic transport foot only units, uses transport animation)
Unryu Class (Japanese buildable only carrier, uses the same ww2 carrier animation above)
Wasp Class (carrier that is buildable by allies, uses the same ww2 carrier animation above)
Yamato Class (yamato, mighty Japanese battleship, very expensive) by TVA22 from civfanatics

............WOW.............. U DID WORKED A LOT ON IT AND I HAVENT EVEN SEEN IT.........

well now that u did the pacific front, adn i did the eropean front i guess i can play the whloe war ^_^

thanks stalin, yes I did put some work into it. making scenarios is fun though, so no big deal.

I havent checked your ww2 one, but was just reading on it, I'll have to give it a try

Originally posted by Richard III
Has no one yet figured out how to change the year clock?

there was a save game editor that did it, but it doesnt work with new save game versions and the author did not update the utility, or release source code.

about the year question, well no way to change it w/ the normal scenario editor oh and smellymummy i dont think there is a way my scenario can compete w/ urs, i also made a WW3 scenario :p. plus i dont use custom units :(, mmmmh.......mabye we can make one together........but a huge map......u do teh pacific and i do europe an africa.........mmmh........oh well, maybe someone will do a decent WW2 scenario atht covers all angles :p

it would be really hard to make a full world map scenario, lots of stuff to take care of, and I'm not that into huge maps, they seem to take too long. However a huge map with changed rules (especially in regards to movement points) does sound cool.

Im dowloading this just becaused you mentioned PTO, I trust that anything inspired by a game like that has to be great

I'm currently playtesting a map I put together that edits the movement rates for a Huge map. I'd also like to lengthen the number of turns for a huge map. I prefer playing a big game with lots to manage, and even more unpredictable AI and human strategies for dealing with units that move further each turn. I'd also like to see more involved warring in modern ages, as we've had more "fast and furious" wars in the last two centuries than in the last 6000 years. (I.E. More involvement from individual countries, with more armament involved, and faster conquests). Currently I've upgraded my ship movement rates, but that's it. I've thought about trying out the "Double Your Pleasure" mod to see if it has what I'm looking for, but it seems a little TOO complex. If anyone has this kind of info for me, email me: c4v3m4n@fastmail.fm. Thanks! :)

thanks for the link civanator. I really do want to change the leaderheads... even though I find it funny that Stalin's pic in the scenario is Catherina.

So did anyone find any problems in the scenario? Was it too hard? Was it too easy? Very short, very long? Fun? Boring?

please let me know what you think! :)

USSR doesnt go to war with Japan till 1945
in fact, the only nation that is in war with Japan before 1941, 12, 7 is China. Japan took the French-Indochina "peacefully" (Germany occupied France, so France government "give" Indochina to Japan as requested by the Germany)
ANd if your scen is in 1941, then Japan should already control Inochina, Thailand (thru miltary alliance) almost all of the coast of china

Thanks Elty.. There are problems like that, history stuff. I mentioned it above in the readme post. Thanks for informing me, but I was pretty much aware of these things in the first place. Its not like scenario makers don't even take a few minutes to consult a history book, you know?

Anyway, your issues...

USSR doesnt go to war with Japan till 1945
Soviet being at war with Japan is because Soviet has oil (2 sources). The oil allows the Soviet to actually have a fighting chance if Japan (the player) tries a massive invasion.

If the soviets start with no sources of oil they die too quick, assuming that the player invades (and that is always a possibilty). All that needs to be done is divert land forces into russia and in no time there gone. With the soviet having only one source of oil, the civ was a bit stronger. With 2 sources the soviets really do well. The extra source gets them good trade and alliances and makes the entire difference.

Finally, having Japan and Soviet being at peace, then the player (Japan) would be getting oil on the first turn. I know the russians can certainly pack a strong punch. If others find this to be a big problem, I can always adjust the starting conditions so there is no war, just an embargo of some sort. In any case, the AI will declare war on you within a few turns.

But still, soviets wil throw a few tanks and then peace will eventually form (unless you as Japan decide to continue war on soviet front). However at that point, Soviets will really not be interested in any trade deals so it all works out for the best.

Japan took the French-Indochina "peacefully" (Germany occupied France, so France government "give" Indochina to Japan as requested by the Germany)
I can't actually make that happen during the game. Theres no way to add a Germany/Nazi civ, and then making it give a city to the player? Not without support for events and such. So instead when the game starts, you have 1 imperial marine ready to march into an unocupied Saigon, along with some infantry to protect your new (undamaged) city. Also, within Saigon you will find nice artillery ready for Japan. Additionally, because of the low culture and bad government ofthe French civ (in the game), the invasion goes through nicely, that is without too much resistance, which IMO simulates historic events to the best it can considering what the editor can and can't do.

ANd if your scen is in 1941, then Japan should already control Inochina, Thailand (thru miltary alliance) almost all of the coast of china
No IFs about it, the scenario starts around the end of 1941, right before the attack on USA. The problem with having Japan already controlling China is that the cities would have Japanese citizens, not Chinese, and therefore no resistance, etc.

Sure I could of also started the sav game for everyone with the chinese cities already conquered... but wheres the fun in that. So when you play the first turn, just tell yourself your catching up with a few missed years of war.

And a Thailand civ just wouldnt of worked. Theres only room for 16 civs! Besides the only citiy I Thailand would own would of been Bangkok. So instead that goes to the French, and therefore you have to attack Bangkok.

I'm sorry for all those things that don't match history, and I'm thinking there are ways to address your issues, but its also a matter of making this fun and playable and not 100% historical accuracy (in history there were real civs and humans, civ3 is just a bunch of bytes).

You could say that the British Empire is abstracted into India (owning the India, Burma, Sri Lanka and Maldives areas).

There is a wonder in Calcutta called "British Empire" (also known as the great lighthouse) which gives each city in India a +1 happiness and doubles research in city - in a way representing the Empire's resources.

Any other British interest is probably lacking, there really isnt much space. You can see on the political map just which cities made it... Canada (played by the English) and Australia (played by Persia) are there though.

As for the map I made it. I don't think it deserves to be posted in the maps section though. Have you even seen it? Asides from its direct use for this particular scenario and rules, I don't see what good it could be for anyone else or anyother type of game.

Great Scenario. I've gotten all of Latin America except Venezuala and Mexico on my side and I was even able to get the USA to enter my war against the mexicans and Russians. To hell with Pearl harbor. I'll let the Yanquis fight it out with the Mexicans.

Top Bottom