[SCENARIO] WWII Storm Over the Pacific!

El Justo

Deity
greetings to all. it has been some time since i've been on the forums here. real life stuff sort of eliminated my civ time over the last several years. however, real life stuff recently gave me a LOT of free time. so i decided to try and chip away at age-old projects around the house and on my pc. i started this WW2 in the Pacific project back in 2012. it sat on my HD in a rough-around-the-edges and untested beta mode for 8 years :) over the last few months, i've been able to play test it and polish it up as best as i could. i recently spent about 200 hours or so testing it. it runs well, very well. there are, of course, a few rough edges that i want to polish out, perhaps seek some feedback on certain aspects. i look at it as a beefed up and way improved version of the WWII in the Pacific scenario that came with the Civ3Conquests back in the day. with that out of the way, let me introduce my latest project:

Storm Over the Pacific!
It's May 1942, on the eve of the Battle of the Coral Sea. Take control of one of the seven Pacific War combatants. Can you lead your faction to victory?

Civilizations:
Republic of China
- Player #1: the Republic of China (ROC) is on its heels when the scenario starts. The Japanese have conquered large swaths of mainland China and are on the move. Some American hardware and personnel buttress their defenses. the ROC has two (2) victory point locations to start.
United States - Player #2: the US is poised to turn the balance of the war when the scenario starts. the fruits of the massive American mobilization efforts are about to come into play. the US has five (5) victory point locations to start.
Australia - Player #3: Australia is bracing for a possible Japanese invasion when the scenario starts. Port Moresby is an obvious Japanese target. Australia has two (2) victory point locations to start.
Communist China - Player #4: the Communist Chinese are fragmented and under-gunned compared to the other civs. They do not have any victory point locations to start.
British India - Player #5: British India sits at the doorstep of Japanese expansion in Asia. rough terrain along the borderlands discourages direct overland troop movements. British India starts with two (2) victory point locations.
Japan - Player #6: Japan is at its zenith in terms of expansion when the scenario starts. Japan starts with twenty four (24) victory point locations.
New Zealand - Player #7: New Zealand stands in the way of Japanese expansion in the South Pacific. They start with two (2) victory point locations.

Japan is in one coalition while the other 6 civs are in the Allied (locked) coalition.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Victory Point Locations (VPLs): winning the scenario will require occupation of the VPLs. Victory points are awarded each turn (1 per VPL) that a VPL tile is occupied. Victory is calculated by VP locations - the first coalition to reach 3120 VPs wins. Japan starts with 24 VPLs and the Allies start with a combined 13.

Spoiler Map of the 37 VPLs :

the map is 204x316 and for some reason, i don't remember who made the map :(
______________________________________________________________________________________
tech trees: there are 3 of them. one for Japan and then the Allied tree (2nd) with the US-only nuke techs (3rd).

Spoiler Japan 1942 techs :

Spoiler Japan 1943 techs :

Spoiler Japan 1944 techs :

Spoiler Japan 1945+ techs :

Spoiler Allied 1942 techs :

Spoiler Allied 1943 techs :

Spoiler Allied 1944 techs :

Spoiler Allied 1945+ techs :

________________________________________________________________________________________
the Manhattan Project is a multi-layered (not singular wonder) series of techs and buildings which ultimately culminate in the auto-production of nuclear bombs. So the nuclear option exists towards the end of the game. the US is the only civ capable of building the small wonders needed for autoproduction. i saw a small US stockpile of nukes in one of the end games i tested. they did not use them however.

i'm happy to post that the late Balthasar took a request from me back in '11 or '12 and made the interface for this project when i started it. it's needs a little polishing but it's pretty neat.

there's a custom soundtrack, too.

if you have time to download and play, i would appreciate some feedback. there are some aspects that may need to get tweaked some more. the Civilopedia is one of them. i did not tackle that one yet although i have a template.

credits: Balthasar for the interface, Vuldacon's terrain and various other files, Delta_Strife's and his most recent ships and aircraft, Anthony Boscia's ground units, wyrmshadow units. Ares de Borg on the sound files for the units. youtube conversions for the soundtrack. Klyden did all the stats for the sea units. i did all the other stats and assembling.

i'm pleased to present for download version 1.0

get the main folders here:
https://gofile.io/d/SNTb4e

download the version 1.0 biq attached to this post.
*removed 1st uploaded biq after 8 downloads; it was still in DEBUG mode -- fixed.

Attachments

• Storm Over the Pacific v1.0 June 11 2020.zip
    138.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Wow totally unexpected! Downloading now. Quick look through looks impressive! I see you might need some more units I will work on a list of stuff I can do for you after I take care of Ozy. A few errors are as follows:
  • Essex Class CV missing its sm/lg pedia icons
  • 20mm AAA missing the japparadrop.flc this was in the old folder just have to move it over.
A more extensive report will follow after some more examination.

Great to see you back!

Last edited:
El Justo, welcome back! :band:

I will try your scenario as soon as I have the time to do it and I hope in RL all becomes very well for you, too. It is funny, that just in time when I restarted the work on the next version of SOE and WW2 Global Gold, we now have SOP, too. :)

El Justo, I played some turns in Debug Mod as NZ and the game is - as you said- playing smoothly and surprisingly fast (compared to SOE). The carriers hold their planes better on board than in SOE (at present I don´t know why), so also in SOP it is happening, that the AI is sending empty carriers into the battle (see the screenshot attached).

Delta_Strife made a good unit of the US carrier Wasp: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/wasp-class-carrier.21388/

A problem are the excessive torpedo attacks from submarines to cities and other land tiles, both from Japanese and US submarines. So, if I remember well, in WW2 a submarine torpedoed a truck at land (edit: it was in the film Operation Petticoat), this is not the normal way of using them. :D On the other side the bombarding option by submarines is a really great feature - and I copied it for my mod CCM, too. May be one way to deal with this problem is the new feature that the Quintillus editor gives to us modders. This editor holds the 'deepwater harbor' function, allowing to place a sea-tile directly next to land tiles. Therefore submarines with bombarding function could be set to be wheeled and coastal terrain to be set impassable for wheeled units. With this setting submarines with a bombard function cannot move in coastal waters and only reach harbors with a 'deepwater' tile. As those submarines have a bombard range of 1, they can attack most ships in coastal waters, but cannot bombard land tiles (with the exception when the sub is located at one of the very few 'deepwater tiles'). I´m reflecting to use this method in the next version of SOE - but SOP is suited much better for it with the masses of water in that map.

The tech choosers have a lot of pallette issues and some of them, who are pretty up to date in AOI, are looking really outdated for the second half of WW2. On the other side there are some images of modern US nuclear carriers among those techchoosers, which are not looking properly, too. In the case, that this could come from a lack of proper WW2 tech choosers, I temporally attache some of the SOE tech chooser (suited for the Pacific, too), that finally were not used when the techtree of SOE was changed to a calendar. Those files also hold a proper carriertaskforce_lg file of a modern US carrier, that in the current SOP files is not reduced from 16Mio colours to 256 colours (but I would replace it completly). May be you have some use for them. After you have downloaded them, I will delete these files.

All in all, this is another very good work El Justo! :goodjob:

Edit: techchooser deleted

Attachments

• Empty carrier.jpg
    Empty carrier.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 1,341
Last edited:
I like this scenario more and more. Even the empty AI carrier received new aircraft two turns later.:clap: The invisible city size 1 is looking great with the pacific islands resource = airfield, but the imperialism size 1 ruin-houses are too small. May be you should try here a resource with less, but bigger houses. Turn times are still really fast. :)

Edit: There seems something not fitting very well when looking into the bombardment stats of the Japanese destroyers and the Japanese heavy cruisers.

Per example the Japanese Fubuki and Kagero destroyers have a bombardment value of 32 or 30 and a rate of fire of 5 or 4, while the heavy cruiser of the Mogami class only has a bombardment value of 20 and a rate of fire of 3.

One could think, that this is the result from the special Japanese Type 93 (Long Lance) torpedos, but the CAs of the Mogami class had 12 of these torpedo tubes, while the DDs of the Fubuki and the Kagero class had only 9 or 8 of these tubes.

Additionally the CA of the Mogami class (at that time) had 10 x 20,3 cm guns (while the destroyers of course didn´t have that caliber) and more 12, 7 cm guns than the destroyers. The same problem exists for the other Japanese cruisers and destroyers, too. It becomes even worse, when these ships are bombarding a coastal city or another land tile. The bombardment of those destroyers on land (where these torpedos are useless) is more dangerous, than the bombardment of the heavy cruisers.

Attachments

• Mogami CA.jpg
    Mogami CA.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,294
  • Fubuki DD.jpg
    Fubuki DD.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,296
  • Kagero DD.jpg
    Kagero DD.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,288
Last edited:
Wow, looks like a fantastic scenario and great to see the return of El Justo. Thanks for another impressive creation, and very unexpected!

Very brief initial feedback (I haven't even clicked end turn yet!) - got it working without much difficulty, just had to move japparadrop.flc into the right folder as Delta Strife mentioned further up. The leaderheads on Foreign Advisor screen are still showing the vanilla heads of Elizabeth I, Abraham Lincoln, Mao etc, although in the actual diplomacy they are showing the national flags as intended. I'm sure that must be an easy fix too, I'll look it up in a minute, but just noting it. Otherwise seems to be running very smoothly, I just need to learn what all the the techs, units and improvements do!

I have noticed that several ROC units require British India resource but I imagine that's intentional to simulate the lack of domestic manufacturing capacity and need for imports.

Holy crap, this is amazing! First of all, welcome back El Justo! :dance: :band: It's good to have people back modding Civ3 like old times.

Downloading right now.

I like this scenario more and more. Even the empty AI carrier received new aircraft two turns later.:clap: The invisible city size 1 is looking great with the pacific islands resource = airfield, but the imperialism size 1 ruin-houses are too small. May be you should try here a resource with less, but bigger houses. Turn times are still really fast. :)

Edit: There seems something not fitting very well when looking into the bombardment stats of the Japanese destroyers and the Japanese heavy cruisers.

Per example the Japanese Fubuki and Kagero destroyers have a bombardment value of 32 or 30 and a rate of fire of 5 or 4, while the heavy cruiser of the Mogami class only has a bombardment value of 20 and a rate of fire of 3.

One could think, that this is the result from the special Japanese Type 93 (Long Lance) torpedos, but the CAs of the Mogami class had 12 of these torpedo tubes, while the DDs of the Fubuki and the Kagero class had only 9 or 8 of these tubes.

Additionally the CA of the Mogami class (at that time) had 10 x 20,3 cm guns (while the destroyers of course didn´t have that caliber) and more 12, 7 cm guns than the destroyers. The same problem exists for the other Japanese cruisers and destroyers, too. It becomes even worse, when these ships are bombarding a coastal city or another land tile. The bombardment of those destroyers on land (where these torpedos are useless) is more dangerous, than the bombardment of the heavy cruisers.

I also happen to be working on a (growing to be rather large) WW2 scenario, though mine is centered on the Atlantic. I similarly encountered such a problem, but not between Destroyers and Cruisers but between Submarines and everything else. The way I handle the Destroyers/Cruisers issue is by giving the destroyers less bombardment damage, but also making them valuable as sub hunters (the only ships with 'detect invisible').
Submarines on the other hand have very high bombardment values, but a RoF of only 1 or 2. I also give them the 'Lethal Sea Bombardment' flag.

Perhaps similarly it could be changed such that Destroyers retain their high bombardment values (or even reduce them), but also have their RoF reduced and perhaps lethal sea bombardment to compensate and simulate torpedoes?

A problem are the excessive torpedo attacks from submarines to cities and other land tiles, both from Japanese and US submarines. So, if I remember well, in WW2 a submarine torpedoed a truck at land (edit: it was in the film Operation Petticoat), this is not the normal way of using them. :D On the other side the bombarding option by submarines is a really great feature - and I copied it for my mod CCM, too. May be one way to deal with this problem is the new feature that the Quintillus editor gives to us modders. This editor holds the 'deepwater harbor' function, allowing to place a sea-tile directly next to land tiles. Therefore submarines with bombarding function could be set to be wheeled and coastal terrain to be set impassable for wheeled units. With this setting submarines with a bombard function cannot move in coastal waters and only reach harbors with a 'deepwater' tile. As those submarines have a bombard range of 1, they can attack most ships in coastal waters, but cannot bombard land tiles (with the exception when the sub is located at one of the very few 'deepwater tiles'). I´m reflecting to use this method in the next version of SOE - but SOP is suited much better for it with the masses of water in that map.

This is very interesting! My old computer would not run his editor, but I recently got a new one and it seems to work just fine! So this is great, I will try this out. That doesn't fix the problem for Coastal Submarines, however. :undecide:

I also happen to be working on a (growing to be rather large) WW2 scenario, though mine is centered on the Atlantic.

... and I started this month the work on the next versions of the scenarios Storm over Europe (SOE) and WW2 Global Gold. Let´s hope, that there is not too much parallel in your scenario. SOE and WW2 Global Gold both start in September 1939. In SOE I cut out the US Eastcoast to speed up turn times.

This is very interesting! My old computer would not run his editor, but I recently got a new one and it seems to work just fine! So this is great, I will try this out. That doesn't fix the problem for Coastal Submarines, however. :undecide:

I give coastal subs normal attack combined with stealth attack.

So good to see you back, El Justo. You are the king of scenario builders. I've got all of them, and I play them frequently. However, your latest upload doesn't seem to exist.

So good to see you back, El Justo. You are the king of scenario builders. I've got all of them, and I play them frequently. However, your latest upload doesn't seem to exist.

At least it existed - and may be there is coming an update ?

Top Bottom