1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WWMD! (What would Moonsinger do?)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by commodified, May 16, 2005.

1. commodified

commodified Calculator

I hope that got your attention. :lol:

Here's the deal: I'm a solid Emperor player trying my first Deity game as the English. It's SO MUCH HARDER THAN EMPEROR. :mad: My alliance just crushed the Persians north of me, and I've grabbed some land there. The Americans and the Egyptians have been at war forever--seriously, like 60 turns or more. They've been :ar15: each other in my territory for ages, and I'm afraid that I have nowhere near the firepower to grab from the Americans (I'm inclined to grab from them once I get Cavalry b/c they lack saltpeter). I'm also afraid that if for some reason their war ever ends, then the Americans (who have been pissed with me for centuries) will turn their attention to me :(

My research is at 0 and I'm trying to go for some kind of banker strategy, but I'm still about 5 techs behind the leaders. Please: give me some tips on getting tech parity and taking control of this game?

Thank you thank you thank you :worship:

Attached is my save file. It's vanilla 1.29f

2. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

On Deity, you can't out-research the AI and have the suoperior army at the same time. Focus on one strategy. Either mass forces and invade, or be peaceful and trade to keep up in tech (sometimes even 100% sci).

Good title :)

3. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Just a fast glance, but:

No cath and surely no colosseums. No temples in those small 1 shield towns.
    You cannot afford the maint for all these structures.

Cities are too far apart for deity with so many neighbors. Makes it hard to cover, so you need more troops. You get less support with fewer towns (I guess that is true in vanilla).

No troops are currently being built and no research, so how are you going to stay in the game? You must do one or the other. Start cats in all cities without a barracks and Knights in those with.

England is civ I would not pick if Iplanned on being in a contients or pangea game.

4. commodified

commodified Calculator

You're probably right. I was just scared of my cities flipping, since everybody near me (especially the Aztecs) are culture-bombing me.

By cats do you mean catapults? Why would I build catapults, just to upgrade to artillery?

I guess I'm in a pretty deep tech rut, so I'd better go militaristic. :cry:

5. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Cats are catapults. Cats, buchets and arty (artillery) are an elite's best friend. Your odds of a leader go up exponentially when you can wipe out a redliner. At this level you need to think tactically because you will not outproduce the AI.

O/T FYI White Sox.

6. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I am not concerned about upgrades to arties. If you get that far you have it made. I want to be able to preserve units. I want to take hit points off of the stronger units that you will soon be facing.

Unless you can start to take some land from someone soon, you will fall far behind in tech and then be looking at not only superior numbers, but superior units.

They will be able to replace losses faster than you, so you must get a high kill ratio. That cannot be done with weaker units. You need to have some help, cats or bombardment units and better tactics.

IOW make them attack your fortied units with bombardment support, picking off wounded units and kill zones. Concentrated firepower to offset those numbers.

7. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Chieftain

Since your title was what would Moonsinger do - I will tell you what I think she would do (since I obviously can't talk for someone else). MS would buy to tech parity on a per turn basis, very important that it is per turn and not lump sum, and also from a single source, preferably the tech leader. Then make silly demands on that AI until their attitude turns to furious.

Finally the coup de grace - demand they leave your territory or declare war (note you sometimes have to have made several earlier demands to leave your territory before this option appears). It is likely that they will declare war on you, resulting in all your gpt back, war happiness and tech parity. And of course you rep is perfectly intact.

You can then use your advantaged position to trade tech to the other AI for cash or alliances against the lead AI. With all the world at war, the tech pace will slow considerably, and you can use all that extra gold to speed your military build up.

8. Own

Own Grasshoppah

What would Moonsinger do? I'm guessing she could conquer the world in 100 turns (or less).

9. Own

Own Grasshoppah

I've got the save and have noted sometings:
    1. You don't need swordsmen to defend a town far from the front. In fact, since there is no military police in republic and the AI sucks at sea assaults, you don't need to leave anyone there.
    2. America needs to go down. Not a potential runaway, but their terrain is great, have no saltpeter so defense is bad, there only source of iron is right in your face, then they'll only have spearmen!
    3. The Incans and Japanese look like potential runaways, but they're too far away so you'll just have to, if one gets agressive, balance the powers with military alliances, and start WW1 over there. If Japan declares war on Germany, sign an alliance with the Incans against the Japs. That seems fair, and no civ shall overrun the other. Nobody on your continent looks like a potential runaway, the powers are nice and balanced.
    4. The diplomacy situation is terrible. Near everyone is either furious or annoyed, and your ROP rep is ruined. Thank god you can still trade gpt for techs. Diplomatic isn't an option, only conquest, domination and spacerace.

Good job expanding and building your empire up! :goodjob:

10. commodified

commodified Calculator

Thanks a lot, guys!