Wyrm's Unit Lottery #2

Yes, but I believe they charge quite a bit for the service.

-Oz

They charge just as much if they do not recover anything. I spent $1750.00 getting back nothing. Learned a bit about IDE drives though.

At my brother's. I just bought a cheapo 160gig to try and use as a new boot drive, then see if I cant slave the old one and burn what I need. Monday I started ordering parts for a new computer good enough to last me another 4 years.

Lotto Over. Computer Died last night. #27 won but its bittersweet since I don't know when I can rebuild a new computer. Im currently typing this from my brother's house. I am in a world of pissed off right now because everything I did after the soviet fighters is on an unbootable hard drive. Oh yeah.. I'm so mad that I actually went past furious and looped around the Space-Time Continum of Anger and I'm currently working my way back from peeved to angry to "small children and elderly should beware"

-Wyrm Out.

:lol: serves you right

Moderator Action: There's no call for that - points assigned for trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Lotto Over. Computer Died last night. #27 won but its bittersweet since I don't know when I can rebuild a new computer. Im currently typing this from my brother's house. I am in a world of pissed off right now because everything I did after the soviet fighters is on an unbootable hard drive. Oh yeah.. I'm so mad that I actually went past furious and looped around the Space-Time Continum of Anger and I'm currently working my way back from peeved to angry to "small children and elderly should beware"

-Wyrm Out.

Ouch! :cringe: now you can Join the club man! :goodjob: My system smelt funky when she blew. It was running Civ on mega-huge, modern age mode when a lightning bolt , simply far to attracted to resist my rigs impressive electrical output levels , melted her heart in one hot flash of steamy sizzlin silcon.
I plan on bottlin that lingerin odur and sellin to those S valley types as one of those uni scent fragrences, something strangely alluring bout it

Oh happy B day man :mischief:

Boot Sector Virus

Boot Sector Virus

A virus? jeez I never knew lethal cases were that common. I hope you never caught it off a download from someone you were friends with. That mess would result in you and your whole crew being down and out from this disaster, thats if you shared the same sh#t alot.

-of course I may be totally misunderstanding the very nature of how this beast goes about its day to day operations screwing systems.

Again my regards. Although the cirumstances were different, Ive felt your pain very recently and I just glad you are going to one day have a better system and soon forgot about this rip-off of a day.

@Wyrm - the IT guy I use for PC problems recommends using all the Microsoft free/beta sw like Defender (it's what he himself uses); I myself am in the process of migrating from Symantec/Norton to UniBlue simply because it caught over 400 registry errors that Norton missed.

Good Luck,

Oz

@Wyrm - the IT guy I use for PC problems recommends using all the Microsoft free/beta sw like Defender (it's what he himself uses); I myself am in the process of migrating from Symantec/Norton to UniBlue simply because it caught over 400 registry errors that Norton missed.

Good Luck,

Oz

Well as a IT guy currently working as the Security Chief for a multibillion $ company... I do not recommend Microsoft Anti-virus.

I have nothing against MSFT, I worked their happily for 10 years. I like and use MSFT's Defender. But, for anti-virus I did an exhaustive test and the two best were Kaspersky and Nod32 (basically tied) with Trendsoft in a fairly distant 3rd place. Worst three were AVG, McAfee and Symantec (although Symantec was closer to the middle of the pack then the bottem feeders). On my own PC, I run Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.

I like and use Microsoft's online scanner as a good compliment to just about any anti-virus software.

I am not the worlds greatest PC security guy (at Microsoft I spent most of my time as a combo programmer / technical writer making and documenting device drivers). But, I do know my stuff and I have been in the IT field for over 20 years.

And what, precisely, makes you say that as, on the surface, it is both a malicious and worthless statement?

It does not matter why he said it. It was very crass. I reported him to the moderators.

And what, precisely, makes you say that as, on the surface, it is both a malicious and worthless statement?

I think it was when Wyrmshadow owned him a couple of months ago and bigdog got chased out of here by the rest of us.

Well as a IT guy currently working as the Security Chief for a multibillion $ company... I do not recommend Microsoft Anti-virus.

I have nothing against MSFT, I worked their happily for 10 years. I like and use MSFT's Defender. But, for anti-virus I did an exhaustive test and the two best were Kaspersky and Nod32 (basically tied) with Trendsoft in a fairly distant 3rd place. Worst three were AVG, McAfee and Symantec (although Symantec was closer to the middle of the pack then the bottem feeders). On my own PC, I run Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.

I like and use Microsoft's online scanner as a good compliment to just about any anti-virus software.

I am not the worlds greatest PC security guy (at Microsoft I spent most of my time as a combo programmer / technical writer making and documenting device drivers). But, I do know my stuff and I have been in the IT field for over 20 years.

It all makes me want to switch to Apple.

Thanks for the info Bjorn. Why am I not surprised that the two biggest names in the biz are at the bottom of the list.

I know we're way OT & I apologize but this sort of thing ultimately effects us all. Do you have a view on UniBlue?

Thanks As Always,

Oz

I think it was when Wyrmshadow owned him a couple of months ago and bigdog got chased out of here by the rest of us.

He's just jealous because he has to pay for 2 seats whenever he travels.

I managed to install the 160gig and sofar things havent gone to crap. I also spent a very long time getting all the toys I wanted from NewEgg. When the parts come in I'll post what my new specs are.

[offtopic]
Appologies to Wyrmshadow. E-mail me if I can help(seriously).

I used to be an Apple developer. But I did all my dev work on an Amiga running a Mac emulator as it was faster than the fastest mac out there. On the Mac vs. PC on the virus issue. There is no difference. The Mac is not more secure. There are just alot fewer of them. They are around 2% market share (but growing, maybe they can get back to where they once were at 10%). But at 2% there just isn't enough interest in the hackers to release more than a fraction of the virii that they do for other platforms. If I were to hack a computer, I would prefer to attack (in order) a Linux, Mac or Windows box. Nothing against anyone, just that the minor OS's are not as secure. It is why when a web site gets defaced there is a 90% chance it was a Linux based system (such as Apache).

On UniBlue... basically crap. Their backup software is ok, but buggy, slow, unstable and very difficult to remove. Their "security" stuff is a waste of money. For example, Process Explorer (free) is better. I do not know about their registry tools. But, I suspect it is junk. There are better tools avialable for free. Try the MSFT free online tool before you buy. It does alot, it costs nothing. www.safety.live.com will resolve to it.

I am VERY skeptical of all so called windows speed up utilities. Most are just plain useless or worse. I recall several actually installing spyware.

Bjornlo I have been telling people that exact same thing concerning OS's and their false security over anything that is not windows. I feel vindicated now. Wyrmshadow did you go all out and get a motherboard that allows for 2 dual core 64's? In effect a quad core.

Bjornlo I have been telling people that exact same thing concerning OS's and their false security over anything that is not windows. I feel vindicated now. Wyrmshadow did you go all out and get a motherboard that allows for 2 dual core 64's? In effect a quad core.

No. He got an Intel :( dual core.

Well, keep in mind I am 'a' knowledgable person, not "the" expert. So, do not take everything I say for gospel. This is an area where reasonable and well informed people often disagree.

That said, I am pretty confident in my stuff. When I went to a advanced hacker defence course, I was the only one who could penetrate all 3 platforms.

On the dual-dual-cores... that only makes sense if you are doing an AMD based system. The Intel Core2Quads are pretty nice. 4 Cores 1 socket. There is no Dual socket 775(core2duo) unless you get a MAC. Wyrmshadow has selected a very fast Pentium 4 dual core. That would not have been my choice, but it is a very fast system. Given his streamlined production method, he should really fly on it.

Top Bottom