1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

X-Com 2 and BE x-pack announced before CiVI

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Sherlock, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Somewhat surprising.

I guess no CIVI announcements this year.

Too bad.

2. ToborajniN

ToborajniN Warlord

I'm honestly not surprised. They decided to take a bit of a "leap" with BE. Just feels natural that they should stick with it a bit longer. Pretty unfortunate though, but hey, we still have Civ5!

3. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I'm very much interested in Xcom 2 though, both EU and EW were amazing

4. J-man

J-man Deity

I agree, X-com and it's expansion where great. Firaxis has a history of making two expansion packs for the civilization titles before they come out with a new one.

5. Acken

Acken Deity

Don't really care for BE xpack so far but XCOM 2 can be interesting.

6. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Oh really? That's good news. Thanks for sharing.

7. dino_yoshi13

dino_yoshi13 Chieftain

You guys do realize that BE and the expansion are different dev teams than the one from Civ 5, right?

8. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Different from civ 5 or different from xcom? Civ 5 and xcom have the same designers?

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

On the other hand, there was a presser for Hearts of Iron IV today and the live tweeting was great. It sounds really fun.

10. Haig

Haig Deity

When was Civ V announced? How long did it take from that to the release?

(I was hoping for Civ VI announcement this year, do you think it's still possible?)

11. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I`m not that enthused. Sure they were good, but too dumbed down for my liking (can`t do something as simple as pick up fallen objects? Srsly?). Xcom 2 looks like it`ll be dumb down too and I`m not a fan of a futuristic earth where humans and Aliens are already together, either. I prefer the present day setting.

I`ll probably buy it a year or two after release like I did with Xcom- IF it`s any good.:twitch:

Now FallOut 4 looks good.:goodjob:

12. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

BTW, Why would anyone want Civ6 now (or in next year)? We are having loads of quality mod civ and various mod. I also wouldn't expect Civ6 to be fun to play in at least 3 months after release (and this is pretty optimistic expectation for me)

13. dino_yoshi13

dino_yoshi13 Chieftain

I meant to say both. Civ 5 has different lead developers than Civ:BE (shared with Rising Tide), which has different lead devs from XCOM2. The lead developers on Civ 5 (Ed Beach and Dennis Shirk) don't have any announced game they are currently working on, and therefore are probably working on Civ 6.

14. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Don't get me wrong, I like the originals more, but EU was still very good DESPITE all of that. I agree with it though, part of the fun of the original Xcom was the infinite amount of fun you could have all round the map, sending multiple crack teams to intercept the x-rays, pick up their stuff and then not being able to fire it because video game logic :D

15. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

Apparently it was announced in february 2010 and released in september that same year. There's not that much time in between the announcement and release, it seems.

I guess it could still happen. E3 is right around the corner too. Great opportunity for an announcement. Wouldn't count on it though. It would only interfere with the stuff they're trying to sell to you this year.

I guess I can still wait another year. The other two announced titles are mildly interesting to me, so time is ticking for an actual new Civilization game.

16. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Xcom squad appears in two games btw, civilization 5 bnw and then it also appearsin the xcom squad video game where it is an aactual shooting simulation. In civilization 5 in the other hand, the xcom unit is buildable once you research nanotechnology.

17. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I think Firaxis should sink their teeth into Railroad Tychoon. One of the best games Sid ever made.

18. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

Yeah too bad no announcement for a CIV Vi this year it seems. Really hoping it releases in 2016. OR early 2017.

CIV V games are being the same over and over again now it seems. And BE is kinda meh though we can expect rising tide can boost it the same way GNK and BNW boosted CIV V

19. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

By current trend and what happen every time Civ "N" is released. There would be disappointment and hype backfire (which included argument why "Civ N-1 v3.xxx" is better than Civ N v1.01)

I would consider Civ6 an alternative to Civ5 BNW after an expansion or having really high user score. I might learn how to do art for Civ6 mod by the meantime.

20. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator