1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

XCOM: Enemy Unknown -75% on steam

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by bc1, Nov 30, 2013.

1. bc1

bc1

Recommendations ? Is it fun to play ?

2. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I got it when it was about £5. For that price it`s worth it.

Fun? depends what your definition of fun is. i come from the oldschool gamer who played the original. I found it way too dumbed-down (can`t even pick up a dead soldier`s gun? why?) , but, it is... `fun`. Music`s exciting. nice action scenes. I guess.

3. bc1

bc1

:lol: doesn't read like much of an endorsement...

4. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

I played it for 40 minutes at PAX East this past March and enjoyed the little time I had with it. I just purchased it myself. 10 bucks seems like a very good deal.

5. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

XCOM is generally regarded as a very solid title, even among old-school people who played the original.

6. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

What does that mean?

It`s not a bad game, but it`s too `streamlined` to be a worthy successor to the original. It needs more depth. However, it is `fun`. But then the original was `fun` too. More fun. Funnier even.

For around £5 it`s worth it, which is what I paid.

An oldschool gamer of Xcom for many years and friends of many oldschool gamers. Yep, old school city where I came from! :D

7. bc1

bc1

Thanks. Just got it, I guess 10€ is not that much of a risk anyway :lol:

8. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

It's awesome. You won't regret it. And don't let the "oldschoolers" tell you otherwise. It's the only game that can keep me from playing Civ. The expansion Xcom EW is definitely worth buying if you enjoy the vanilla. It adds extra depth and whole new level of playability.

The thing is, Firaxis decided to drop certain aspects of the original -so you'll hear SOME (not all) fans of the original tell you it's just a dumbed down knock off. I assure it is not dumb, it is fun and the expansion does what GnK and BNW did, give it it's own independent style somewhere completely different to the "original" series.

9. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

You need the new DLC/Expansion, Enemy Within, to make it a good game. EU was mediocre and lacking in many areas. The expansion fixed a lot of this. Really fun now.

10. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

EU was a good game pre-expansion too. Don't get the expansion until it is 75% off. Gaben wills it.

11. bc1

bc1

Sounds like good advice :lol:

12. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

To be 100% fair, I tell everybody all the time every time never to get anything until you see it on deep sale. :lol:

13. bc1

bc1

I've always wondered how Steam's pricing policy made any sense...

14. Dtekkar

Dtekkar Warlord

Huge recommendation here. Xcom ufo was one of my favorites when I was a kid, and it's a worthy reboot. The guy poured his heart and soul into it, and inspired others to do the same. In exchange for a little simplification, it removed a lot of tedium, fixed a lot of problems, and kept the essential experience. Skip the expansion though, it fixes a few things but it also dilutes the original game, tinkering with it a bit loosely relative to the XCOM:EU's initial standard.

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Get it

Yes.

I think it's deceptively simple at first with a surprisingly deep amount of strategy. Although it's real strength is how atmospheric and intense it is at times. You really feel like you're about to be shot by an alien ;)

Haven't played the expansion. The original is brutally difficult and I heard the expansion makes it even tougher. I'm waiting for a flash sale for that.

16. HeresiarchQin

HeresiarchQin Chieftain

Since you haven't played the old school originals, there isn't much point comparing them to the new XCOM for you to judge the new game.

But the new XCOM is absolutely awesome, probably the best tactical game since...Silent Storm? The difficulty is brutal even for veterans, for newcomers you can expect 50% KIA each mission on normal difficulty for your first few hours. But the game is absolutely fair, and beating game on Ironman/Impossible is a damn proud of a badge you can wear everywhere.

I'm a oldschool player who have played X-COM, TFTD and Apoc, the new XCOM is streamlined that's for sure, but it's also more fair, less random, and better balanced as a tactical squad game. The expansion pack introduced tons of fun equipment and toys to play with, but also has several deadly, brutal, merciless missions that destroy hardcore veterans if they're not prepared for them. Newbies probably won't survive at all.

17. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to All Other Games forum

18. Malachi256

Malachi256 Prince

Lots of people love it. I think it's overrated. I found the original far more immersive and intuitive for whatever reason.

19. Honkoid

Honkoid Honk of the hill

It's definitely worth to buy it. I also played the original in its time and I think the new one is an improvement over an already very good game.
    Maybe the length of the XCOM-thread here is a good indication of it's quality ;)

20. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

The thing is with xcom is that its only really fun if you play it with ironman mode enabled. But this makes the game so good and compelling that its superb. If you have saving enabled then the pressure never really gets to the boiling point. I suggest playing it on normal first with ironman mode enabled. Classic is tricky, and you need balls of steel for impossible, but both are actually doable.

Also, i also suggest ignoring apparent old schoolers who criticise it for being dumbed down. If your idea of fun is working out equations like "whats the profit margin on laser pistols verses laser rifle? Building cost + building time divided by sale price = "X", then by all means, dont buy it. The new version is streamlined properly and many of the changes are a significant improvement.

I would give the game a solid 9 out of 10. It was one of the best games released last year.

But remember - play with iron man mode enabled. You are cheating yourself if you dont.