XCOM overpowered?

asura_

Chieftain
These soldiers are like paratroopers on steroids. They can teleport wherever you want in 40 cell radius, they have 100 strength, powerful against cities.

I have conquered a 200+ defense city with 4 missile cruisers and a couple XCOMs, while others were waiting 2-3 cells outiside city. If you can build one every 2 turns in 3-4 of your cities and have enough missile cruisers and destroyers to protect against submarines you can destroy coastal cities at will..

P.S. only tested on Emperor

These soldiers are like paratroopers on steroids. They can teleport wherever you want in 40 cell radius, they have 100 strength, powerful against cities.

I have conquered a 200+ defense city with 4 missile cruisers and a couple XCOMs, while others were waiting 2-3 cells outiside city. If you can build one every 2 turns in 3-4 of your cities and have enough missile cruisers and destroyers to protect against submarines you can destroy coastal cities at will..

P.S. only tested on Emperor

Well, they have to be. Ever seen the Giant Death Robot :D ? Still, unless you play on non-ancient start, you hardly see em in action.

I think they are, intentionally, outside the scope of balance in the game. It's a bit like the technology that doubles your tourism and the policy that gives you one delegate for each diplomat: They pretty much hand you a victory as a reward for making it so far without losing to science victory.

I think they are, intentionally, outside the scope of balance in the game.

Yeah i think that's correct. Near the end of the tech tree you will have everything in hand to finally finish the game. These weapons/buffs are so nasty/stealthy that they surely serve for a huge boost to a game that ''must'' be finished.

In multiplayer combinations of nuclear missiles/xcoms are really popular.

Gdrs are rare to find because they require uranium and so much technology. Once you upgrade mobile armors they become stronger than xcom squads.

Well, they have to be. Ever seen the Giant Death Robot :D ? Still, unless you play on non-ancient start, you hardly see em in action.

Yeah, I used them in some games but on harder difficulty I don't always get to use them. XCOMS were the strongest available unit for me. They were going against regular marines because by that time I basically destroyed the opposition in what was almost 40 turns of war combined

Xcom squad could be op because they're built without a need for resources such as aluminum nor uranium and also because they're at 100 str making it one of the strongest units in bnw. Another reason why xcom squad could be op is because you can paradrop in any visible tile in the area. Once you have vision, you can paradrop 4-5 xcom squad units in an area quick. The only issue could be the lack of mobility in large land areas but in most coastal maps, xcom squad could be op... Mobile armors have 100 str too but they require aluminum and have that mobility which is useful for plundering in large land masses...

Build XCOM in Alahambra + Brandenburg city. You get Blitz right off the bat, which means you can land and attack on the same turn.

Until you reach this unit the game is already won... or lost :)

Not if you took care of China runaway by using your Egyptian allies who pounded their cities and stopped them from building space parts.

And also took care of Venice who was 15% ahead in tech by taking their capital and made them build (naval) ships instead of anything useful.

I could only win the game on points and I did that using a clever tactic of stalling.

Yes, they are. Due to their extreme mobility. You can basically surround any city that you want with them, anywhere on the map. I have reached their tech a handful of games and each time they have basically handed victory over rather quickly.

You just take every cap in the world flying around anywhere you please. They are extremely fun though.

A truly balanced game of civ would probably not allow xcom or nukes. Both are game breaking.

Build XCOM in Alahambra + Brandenburg city. You get Blitz right off the bat, which means you can land and attack on the same turn.
Oooo that hurts just thinking about it.

To answer to OP yes they are OP. In regards to getting them late if you are going for a quick SV you can conceivably have Nanotechnology by t200 or so, just go for that before Satellites.

That would be an early xcom squad. Missing out on satellites can make you miss out on the whole map since you won't get good anti airs and the hubble space which already allows you to see the whole map. Another thing why xcom squad are op is because they're transportable Infantries that are transported via air. I think the big op in xcom squad is the fact that the air units that transport xcom squad doesn't get intercepted by anti airs or canceled like they used to in civilization 4 bts.

Xcom is an international project, not for individual countries. Though the unit being kn the game is really badass

Considering Xcom were formed to fight advanced ALIENS to protect Earth, yes, it`s overpowered as well as making no sense at all. I modded them out of my game along with GDR. They are not what Civilization is about and when I pay money for something I don`t pay for some Dev`s stupid joke. They can pay me if they want me to have their immersion-breaking joke.

Keep in mind that the Science Victory is also futuristic. We are no where near the ability to set off to Alpha Centauri. We've never even made it to Mars unless you count a probe.

It also is in the "future tech" era. That said, on multiplayer, it would be pretty annoying to fight against. Though I imagine the dev's felt a need to accelerate games which have taken so long to finish by conquest.

Top Bottom