1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

XCOM Thread

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by J-man, Mar 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. J-man

J-man Deity

I thought these can use a XCOM for discussions about these games. For the XCOM games by Firaxis but also others (original/xenonauts).

- XCOM enemy unknown and enemy within expension: Briljant games. Enemy unknown has great tactical gameplay and enemy within expands up that with new strategic and tactical options but not so much that it becomes cluttered.

- XCOM 2: Really fun game, the decision to have the flying ship (avenger) as a base brings some new tactical options. I'm not a fan of the amount of turn timers in the game. The meld of the expansion of the previous title added some rush to the missions but left tactical options to the players, the turn timers of XCOM 2 felt artificial.
    WOTC added a lot of new content but in my opinion it also felt cluttered. The story line of the chosen felt cliche to be honest.

- Xenonauts: Its without the big budget of the firaxis games of course but I liked the air combat and the way bases are built in this game.

- IOS versions and XCOM chimera squad: The ios version of enemy within is a nice port, I got it for a bit less then 3 euro's (nice deal). It seems to have some minor bugs and the touch screen interface can be a bit annoying. XCOM 2 is on ios, don't have it as my Ipad can't run it (be sure to read the fine print!, not all ipads can run it). Do you have it and what's your opinion?
    I don't have chimera squad so I'm interested in your opinion on it.

Did you play the original version, are waiting for XCOM 3? Post your opinion.

2. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

I like Enemy unknown/Enemy Within, though they won't run properly any more for some reason. I bought XCOM2 a while back and I am enjoying it. I have all of the DLC, but not Chimera Squad. I was going to buy it in a bundle last week as it was only $4.05, but I never got around to it. :(

J-man likes this.
  3. J-man

J-man Deity

Too bad, I'm curious to know what players think of chimera squad. I also wonder if it was released to see how the market would respond to it, what companies sometimes do before starting to develop a major title (XCOM 3, fingers crossed).

4. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Ive got Chimera squad. I thought it was good, but a much less serious and less heavy title in the series. A bit like an appetiser one might eat before moving on to the main event. Id give it 7 or 8 out of 10 i reckon. Its certainly not the sort of game you will want to go back and play again once you have finished it. And although the tactical battles are fun. They lack some of the depth you see in enemy within and XCOM2. And are mostly all done and dusted within 2 or 3 turns. It was priced fairly though IMO, which gives it added brownie points. It released at £20, which i thought was a good price point considering the length and depth of the campaign. And its production value was good. With good voiceovers and funky art style. It reminds me a bit of Far Cry Blood Dragon in a weird way. And certainly has the same sort of vibe.

I doubt they will do XCOM3 as Chimera squad. They might have bits of it in there to mix the missions up a bit - like the breach mechanic. But it would be a mistake to dumb the main series down IMO. I think it more likely an experiment to try out some new ideas and see how they go down.

J-man likes this.
  5. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

I dont know what your problem is. But I had a problem with my aspect ratio. The game only works in 1920 res. Just thought id mention it.

6. J-man

J-man Deity

I also don't think they'll do XCOM 3 as chimera but I think they wanted to check if it sold well. Anyways, I just checked and on steam chimera squad is available for 50% of the price.

7. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

I should clarify. Enemy Within will not run, but Enemy Unknown will (or vice versa, whichever one is the sequel will not run). I'm thinking something at Steam has become messed up. Perhaps a reinstall would be in order...

8. J-man

J-man Deity

:bump: There is a leaked games list and according to it, Firaxis games is developing a new XCOM game, starring Marvel heroes. This Marvel XCOM is going to be announced later this year.

source

I was waiting for a new XCOM but I'm not sure about the Marvel thing.