"Xenophobia" and Political Correctness

But aren't you trying to impose your own political correctness by insisting on how to describe "anti-immigration parties"?

I am not expressing a view about the validity, or otherwise, of your politics, rather the obvious contradiction in what you ask of others regarding political correctness.

Most anti-immigration parties also have other aspects in their policy that inflict Xenophobia.

EDITED: Typo

Perhaps its because many of the people who support these parties are, in fact, xenophobic.
PC people think they only have to be careful not to offend anyone who is 'okay', and since not embracing immigration isn't okay, its alright to insult people that think like that.
It makes sense to them :crazyeye:

Yep, a contradiction in the world of PC. Call the Times, "STOP THE PRESSES!!!!"

OMG, we've finally caught the PC world in an inconsistancy. Long have we hidden in our dank caves worshipping our Pagan (Non-christian) god (diety) of good sense and entreating Him (or her) to grant us this boon. The light has been shed upon the darkness (not that one is inherently better than the other) and now the blind (sight-chalanged) may see. What a great and glorious day. Truly this day will be long spoken of in the annals of history (subject to full revision and editting).

;)

This is something I think we should try and change in Europe. Right-wingers would never get away with calling leftists "communists" or greens "treehuggers". The same should apply to everyone.

This is mainly because every major TV-Channel and newspaper get's it's info
from STT, and ONLY from STT (exluding HS). Especially MTV3 News has experted in this matter;
It's not rare to hear from some completely peaceful demonstration and
in the same time SEE riots from another country, which are over 2 years old...
WITHOUT the "Archive pictures" -info...

This is practically same thing. STT just put's people and parties to certain 'boxes'.

Remember when Pim Fortyin died? Every single newschannel and newspaper called
him "muukalaisvastaiseksi populistiksi". Every single. Not even a one channel bothered to
gather their own info.

I wonder what the Algerian supporter's of Fortyin think about this...

Generalization. Worse than that, generalization to over 15-year old 'boxes'.

On the other hand, the reason in Finland to this is lazy leftist-controlled media.

Originally posted by Adebisi
I am not attacking political corectness itself. Rather the fact that many people do not follow it consistently.

I would say it is unfortunate that you are not "attacking political correctness", indeed you seem to be attempting to impose your own (albeit without realising).

The nature of political correctness is controlling language so as to impose your own view of the world on others.

Instead of telling people what language to use or not to use why not simply argue your case as to why opposing immigration is not xenophobic.

That is no excuse to call them all xenophobic. If a completly serious anti-immigration has not xenophobic elements at all, how can it be fair to call it xenophobic?

I agree with you on this point Adebisi, although as Pim Fortyun (spelling?) found out to mount a serious and intelligent argument against immigration and avoid accusations of racism and xenophobia is almost impossible.

The bigotry of the past means discussion (no matter how well intentioned) on these issues will always walk a tightrope between what is considered reasonable and outrageous.

Originally posted by ainwood
Like?????

Like European Anti-Immigration parties that also support quitting the EU.

Originally posted by Adebisi
Well, wow...!

Pretty much everything outside of your country is full of foreigners.

That was his point.
I think he meant that the link between being against immigration and against UE is that you are defiant of foreigners, hence you don't want them in your country, and you don't want to associate with them.

Top Bottom