1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

XML-Editor needed!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Ploeperpengel, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Ploeperpengel

Ploeperpengel academic precarity

Maybe kind of a bold request but is there anyone interested to do a xml-editor for the WH-Mod?
    We really could use one. If you want to help please pm me or post here, thx.

2. ir8

ir8 Chieftain

You can expect crap for xml editors. My account name was created after attempting to find one and having my time wasted by a bunch of people who apparently don't even test their programs.

I just posted this, and this is a good place to say it again:

OMFG when are we going to get a working xml editor???

I hear about how moddable this game is, and see all these interesting mods for download, but there isn't even a tutorial that doesn't assume you know EVERYTHING already.

All I want to do is:
    1. Download a custom unit.
    2. Choose the unit's stats.
    3. Make the unit usable by only one civ.
    4. Make the unit creatable in the game.

After about 3 hours of searching, I have found 2 tutorials that are either misleading or extremely difficult to understand (for example, one calls the Assets0.xml file "Art0.xml" which had me searching in vain for about 20 minutes).

This game is NOT as easily moddable as everyone claims. Only people who know everything about the game files (and who have experience programming) can accomplish anything with it, and the same can be said for hundreds of games before it.

Before you call a game "easily moddable" you should get Neverwinter Nights and crack open the toolset. It has several wizards for editing, placing, and programming in-game objects. Entire worlds can be constructed and scripted by novices. If someone has created a custom graphic, all you have to do is unpack one resource file, stick the thing in it, and save. Voila, you have modded the game without having to rewrite a half dozen files by hand.

3. MatzeHH

MatzeHH Warlord

There are thousands of XML editors out there. Go and pick one.

Matze

4. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

Having modded NWN extensively as a member of the PRC team, I can tell you that it's *far* more complex.

To do my intial race pack, which became incorporated into the main PRC Pack, I had to learn some C programming. There were about 50-100 files I had to edit, and many I had to write from scratch. In order to create new prestige classes, we had to rewrite probably 50 or more 2da files. We also had to create separate programs - again from scratch - to allow people to select the new races (because you couldn't in the game menu). We had to create new radial menus, make massive edits to all existing 2das, *and* had to create icons and artwork (just like in Civ).

NWN was easy if you were doing basic things. A good analogy would be the Worldbuilder in CIV IV.

But if you want to add new civs, new features, etc., XML editing is easier than C. And C is not much different from Python if you want to do more complex stuff.

Bottom line - to do the same kind of stuff in NWN that you would in Civ requires just as much, if not more, effort.

5. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

I use XML-marker for editing, but I think you can use just about any text editor.

6. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

i like this one
    http://www.pspad.com/
    it has a bunch of useful things (like hex editor, giving the numbers of lines, and so on...), and it's good not only for xml, and it's freeware

7. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

8. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

I use Notepad++ It can change many languages including XML, It has a find tool, # lines and more.