XML-errors on non-english windows

Fujisan

Warlord
XML-errors on non-english Windows

I use Japanese Windows XP. Every time after installing Civ4 vanilla, Warlords, BtS, or any of their patches, I get a lot of XML-errors in TextInfos section of the Assets. Errors occur in every place, where there is a non-english character before a closing angle bracket "<".

What I did?

Using a text editor I replace all instances of "á<", "é<", "ó<"... and so on in the Assets\XML\Text folder, to "a<", "e<", "o<"... or something else. And it works!

PS: Switching all regional and language settings in Windows to English did not help.

Probably this is not Civ4 bug and I just need to configure Windows properly. Would somebody help me?

Gon *wa.

I wrote here about same thing( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=241569 ), but no one replyed.
I think It's not bug. But Developers must think about non-english windows users.
I heard Japanese version of CIV4 released. Of course, that version will be support 2-byte base character windows. Some Korean uses Japanese version of .exe file to use Korean language in English version of CIV4 game.

-more funny thing ; There were no XML related errors for me before BTS released.
but, XML error was occured in all version of CIV4(include vanilla) after BTS released.

if the error did not occur prior to BtS then it is likely that the 1.74 and 2.13 patches that came with it screwed something additionally and you might try reverting to the older patches.
apart from that I am not sure how to handle this in non-latin OS languages since apart from the Japanese version of Civ4 which should be able to handle Japanese I am not sure that Civ4 was programmed for non standard symbols :(

ori said:
if the error did not occur prior to BtS then it is likely that the 1.74 and 2.13 patches that came with it screwed something additionally and you might try reverting to the older patches.
You can say that again.
What I want to say was - the notation for added data in XML files for Extension ASCII Area was errornous in CJK windows. But Before BTS, the notation for Extension ASCII Area was works correctly.

Passenger said:
In civ4's XML files for game setting, there are 2 notations for annoying strings.
1. direct use that STRING like <Spanish>Labná</Spanish>
2. a form using code value like <Spanish>Labn&#160[semicolon]</Spanish>
* workaround <Spanish>Labná </Spanish>

notation 1 will be occur XML parsing error in 2 byte char code system.
I suggest notation 2, it will not be occur any problem in XML parsing stage in 2 byte char code user.
this is quite good solution to avoid XML parsing error for CJK windows system(and others, too).

Notation 1 & 2 were co-existed in XML files. and I workarounded that error.

I heard Japanese version of CIV4 released.

Yes, but usually it comes with about a half-year delay, so I bought English version before Japanese version were released.

-more funny thing ; There were no XML related errors for me before BTS released.
but, XML error was occured in all version of CIV4(include vanilla) after BTS released.

I had XML errors for all versions of Civ4. Even just after patching I had to edit XMLs... :confused:

Top Bottom