XML Question - Disable Ships from capturing city

king_dean

Warlord
I have no earthly idea why the default game allows ships to capture a city. Completely ******ed.

How would I disable this? I don't see an option in XML to change it.

I think it's tied into <CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_NAVALMELEE</CombatClass> but I'm not sure. I think <CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_NAVALRANGED</CombatClass> are not able to capture cities, but I can't remember the last time when I made a Naval unit capture a city whether it was a ranged or a melee.

I think it's tied into <CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_NAVALMELEE</CombatClass> but I'm not sure. I think <CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_NAVALRANGED</CombatClass> are not able to capture cities, but I can't remember the last time when I made a Naval unit capture a city whether it was a ranged or a melee.

Thanks buddy, I'll investigate.

That actually had no effect, but it led me to the right direction. The answer is assigning the promotion 'PROMOTION_ONLY_DEFENSIVE' to the unit. The name is deceiving because it's actually 'unit may not melee attack'.

<Row>
<UnitType>UNIT_ROMAN_GALLEY</UnitType>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_ONLY_DEFENSIVE</PromotionType>
</Row>

That will stop naval units from attacking other ships, but only with a melee attack.
You can put that onto NAVAL_RANGED units and that will stop them from bombarding cities and then taking them.

So, if you give that to NAVAL_MELEE ships you can have a fleet of targets.:D

Top Bottom