1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

XP Home Vs XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Turner, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

So. . .should I shell out the extra $60 for Pro? Or is home okay?

Discuss, please.

2. Hawkster

Hawkster sorcerer

XP home is aimed more at the home market so skips a lot of features (like advanced networking / security / management tools) - and is supposedly better at supporting games etc than pro.

XP Pro is heavier on requirements (IIRC) in terms of memory and cpu useage.

Unless you need full NTFS support / advanved management / support for more than one processor I would say XP home is fine - just make sure it is fully patched (see thread about the msblast worm) to prevent trouble.

PS: I have XP home on a laptop and run civ3 PTW with no problems so it must be OK ;)

3. Turner

Hmm. . . well, I want to go Raid-1, and NTFS doesn't bother me. I'm more inclined to stick with pro, since I've been using it just fine on an 850mhz Athalon. My new rig will probably be a 2.8gig P4 with half a gig ram. So it's just a little bit faster than what I have now.

Thanks for the reply, I will consider it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

What, more exactly, are these more advanced network features? I've been thinking about getting pro too, but haven't found any really good reason for it. Home is also working very fine.

5. CrackedCrystal

CrackedCrystal Where am I?

Well, here are some major points Pro can do that Home cannot:
    * You can remotely control another Windows XP computer
    * You can join Network Domains
    * You can encrypt files for security
    * Pro has more system restore options
    * Multiple languages
    * Dual processor support
    * More user types (home only has administrator and guest, pro has more options)

If you do not need any of these things, Home should be fine.

EDIT: There is also one thing I have found that is not really a difference, but could effect someone. For some reason, Pro does not seem to recognize my RAID array automatically during installation. I had to have a floppy with RAID drivers available. XP Home installed without the need for the drivers. I use a Highpoint RAID Integrated into the motherboard.

6. Turner

Well, I'm hoping my RAID shows up. . . but I'm not building the system. I'll be configuring one from Compaq. I was going to build my own system, and found I could do it cheaper than buying one from someplace, but my wife won't let me. :(

I dunno. . .my boss just doesn't like Home. He had some issues with it, and I have had Pro since it came out. So I'm of the mindset to keep it, since it's what I know.

Well, thanks all for the info. . .

7. CrackedCrystal

CrackedCrystal Where am I?

Its really not bad. I just mentioned it so you have a floppy with the driver ready just in case. All you have to do is push F8 or something like that (it will say on the screen at the bottom, you have about 5 seconds to press it once the message comes up). It then reads the disk and has you choose the driver you wish to use. The rest is exactly the same.

Plus, it may pick up the RAID automatically and you wont need the disk.

There is almost no difference between how you do things in Home and Pro. It's not like Windows 98 and 2000 where things are in different places. The only difference is some screens in Pro have more choices. They look the same.

8. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Pro seems alot better from what I heard.

9. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Prince

Home is artificially crippled... that sort of business practices make me wary to begin with.

Besides, I have heard from a lot of tech support people that Home is the Cause of All Troubles... it apparently breaks far more often...

10. Lucky

Lucky Game- and Quizmaster

If you do nothing much more than a little office applications, image editing and playing a few, non-extraordinary games and maybe even those not ever in multiplayer, you don´t need Pro. :mischief:

If you however really want to "work" with your computer, especially if you are setting it up in a network environment with other comps, stay away from Home!!! :rolleyes:

The major drawback of XP Home is it´s crippled networking capability. So if you need that, get Pro.
    :D