Master of Mana Xtended - Download and Changelog

What's brandelines?

btw, I had only ctd's when Bannor and / or Malakim were involved in games, maybe with the Sheaim, too - without these civs, I had a few really stable and fun games... had even a cultural victory with the Kuriotates

Weird, Bannor and Sheaim are mandatory in all my games, and i never experienced instability caused by them.

What's brandelines?

Its a world improvement, like Mirror of Heaven, Pyre of the Seraphic, Letum Frigus....

theres a unit in the stack that's probably buggy...... Try moving some units around into another stack.

MoM is the best mod I ever experienced in Civ series, I can say so even today with the existence of Civ 6, as I still play MoM nowadays.

I am just so glad that I found many are same here. Thanks esvath and the team in developing and updating the MoM extented.

MoM is the best mod I ever experienced in Civ series, I can say so even today with the existence of Civ 6, as I still play MoM nowadays.

I am just so glad that I found many are same here. Thanks esvath and the team in developing and updating the MoM extented.
Thanks for the kind words!

===
RE: Austrin

Inspired by @Linvega great changes for the Austrin, I am incorporating most of his changes to next version of Xtended. Essentially, the Austrin is a trader civ with abilities as follow:
- connect resources and trade routes without road on every type of terrain.
- faster (3 movements) recon units.
- transform explored lairs to Outposts, which gives +hammer, +commerce to everyone but stronger benefits to the Austrin.
- Deirdra will be Loremaster/Adaptive/Defender (temporary).
- Sorah and Ecks will be Trader/Nomad (allowing recon to build cities).
- Austrin cities are still limited in size but getting more unique buildings which can boost their commerce.

===
RE: Malakim

Since the trade aspect of Malakim is now Austrin's, the Malakim is rather bland, imo. Thus, I need fresh idea on what unique characteristics this civ should have. Malakim theme should be: desert, religion (Empyrean), enlightenment.

My (still somewhat raw) idea is:
- Follower of ... promotions give some boni (maybe Follower of Junil gives +1 holy and +5% heal rate, while Follower of Lugus gives +1 fire and 5% xp).
- That above will strengthen priests in general.
- Malakim units in cities with state religion will have chance (50%?) to gain Follower of ... promotion of their respective deity. This will give them extra strength.
- Malakim world spell is moved forward to Way of the Wise, thus Malakim can access priests faster than any other civs.
--- OR, change Malakim world spell to give +xp to all units with Follower of... promotion?

Any thought?

Hi, i got an error message and i hope you can help me.

Fresh MoM installation with patch 2.11. Fresh Xtended 5.5.

Can't see or click the 'next turn'-button and also the leader-head list on the right is gone.

Edit: It's gone. I had another BUG-Installation in my Documents. Removing that solved it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words!

===
RE: Austrin

Inspired by @Linvega great changes for the Austrin, I am incorporating most of his changes to next version of Xtended. Essentially, the Austrin is a trader civ with abilities as follow:
- connect resources and trade routes without road on every type of terrain.
- faster (3 movements) recon units.
- transform explored lairs to Outposts, which gives +hammer, +commerce to everyone but stronger benefits to the Austrin.
- Deirdra will be Loremaster/Adaptive/Defender (temporary).
- Sorah and Ecks will be Trader/Nomad (allowing recon to build cities).
- Austrin cities are still limited in size but getting more unique buildings which can boost their commerce.

===
RE: Malakim

Since the trade aspect of Malakim is now Austrin's, the Malakim is rather bland, imo. Thus, I need fresh idea on what unique characteristics this civ should have. Malakim theme should be: desert, religion (Empyrean), enlightenment.

My (still somewhat raw) idea is:
- Follower of ... promotions give some boni (maybe Follower of Junil gives +1 holy and +5% heal rate, while Follower of Lugus gives +1 fire and 5% xp).
- That above will strengthen priests in general.
- Malakim units in cities with state religion will have chance (50%?) to gain Follower of ... promotion of their respective deity. This will give them extra strength.
- Malakim world spell is moved forward to Way of the Wise, thus Malakim can access priests faster than any other civs.
--- OR, change Malakim world spell to give +xp to all units with Follower of... promotion?

Any thought?

Thanks for incorporating (most) of my changes! Though I still think that the other units should get extra movement too, otherwise protecting multiple cities from the barbarians becomes a nightmare. Normally units can move 3 tiles with roads, so even with a bonus, you're still slower than normal inside your territory.

To the Malakim, I don't even think they're that flavourless now. Their religious units/buildings are already quite strong and especially the citadel of light is both flavourful and strong.
Also, the Malakim Bazaar single-handedly turns the Malakim from "mediocre civ" to "omg OP" because you essentially double the size of every city, without actually needing to pay the maintenance for that.

On the other hand, I like moving the world spell forward and giving units follower of ... with a certain chance, just as strengthening the follower of .... Though taking any deity but Lugus with them is madness.

Created an account to ask this, because it's a question that's been bothering me, but how much work would it be to port and extend the Mechanos civilization from Rise of Erebus/Ashes of Erebus? They're by far my favorite Civ and I'd absolutely love to see them in MoM, especially when I feel a steampunk civ is the one big thing MoM lacks and they really fill that gap, so to speak. Siege tanks, thopters, steampunk robots, etc. Lot of potential for not only unique flavor, but perhaps unique but powerful playstyle too.

Is there any chance of seeing that Civ merged into Xtended at some point, or as a separate modmodmod for Xtended?

Created an account to ask this, because it's a question that's been bothering me, but how much work would it be to port and extend the Mechanos civilization from Rise of Erebus/Ashes of Erebus? They're by far my favorite Civ and I'd absolutely love to see them in MoM, especially when I feel a steampunk civ is the one big thing MoM lacks and they really fill that gap, so to speak. Siege tanks, thopters, steampunk robots, etc. Lot of potential for not only unique flavor, but perhaps unique but powerful playstyle too.

Is there any chance of seeing that Civ merged into Xtended at some point, or as a separate modmodmod for Xtended?
Hi, thanks for joining in!

If the Mechanis is ported to Xtended with their unique mechanics (refined mana etc), then I imagine significant amount of modding to do. With their refined mana, Mechanos will require a separate "magic research" to substitute the existing schools of magic. If they still have access to current schools of magic (and lose the refined mana mechanic), I think they are stepping into Luchuirp' toes as the mechanical artificers.

Maybe you can describe what mechanics/uniqueness that capture your interest the most? Then I can contemplate on that -but no promises.

Hi, thanks for joining in!

If the Mechanis is ported to Xtended with their unique mechanics (refined mana etc), then I imagine significant amount of modding to do. With their refined mana, Mechanos will require a separate "magic research" to substitute the existing schools of magic. If they still have access to current schools of magic (and lose the refined mana mechanic), I think they are stepping into Luchuirp' toes as the mechanical artificers.

Maybe you can describe what mechanics/uniqueness that capture your interest the most? Then I can contemplate on that -but no promises.

I get what you mean by the mana issue, but the refined mana could be removed and substituted with some other resource if need be, no? The Mechanos lore-wise and gameplay-wise are an agnostic civ and generally aren't fond of magic or religion, so if anything I feel like they wouldn't have access to any rituals/magic research in the first place, unless you wanted to implement tech-based ones. Either way, if it's too much of an issue or too complicated to implement new research or whatever, maybe you could just remove the refined mana and create some other new fuel resource to replace it.

Anyway, I like the steampunk, obviously. There's a lot of potential for cool units focused on stuff like ranged bombardment/collateral damage and stuff like that, especially with tanks, steampunk themed aircraft, and so on. And their big hero unit, the Goliath, is pretty cool too, with the ability to switch between a normal mode for combat, and a siege mode for ranged bombardment. Putting too much power into that sort of ranged combat could make it too easy to cheese the AI from a safe distance, but I assume that sort of ranged and collateral damage would be one of their big strengths, and the lack of availability to magic and religion would be one of their big weaknesses. I also assume in the context of MoM, they'd require a lot of metal, particularly for building stuff like tanks.

I'd give some more thoughts on mechanics and balance, but I'm tired right now, so hopefully this is a good start. There's probably even more potential for the Civ than I'm describing. I don't know if you've played Rise/Ashes of Erebus, but they're pretty fun and unique, and could be even better with the more advanced mechanics of MoM. It's worth checking them out and seeing for yourself if you haven't, perhaps. I think they'd fit perfectly in MoM though.

Last edited:
I get what you mean by the mana issue, but the refined mana could be removed and substituted with some other resource if need be, no? The Mechanos lore-wise and gameplay-wise are an agnostic civ and generally aren't fond of magic or religion, so if anything I feel like they wouldn't have access to any rituals/magic research in the first place, unless you wanted to implement tech-based ones. Either way, if it's too much of an issue or too complicated to implement new research or whatever, maybe you could just remove the refined mana and create some other new fuel resource to replace it.

Anyway, I like the steampunk, obviously. There's a lot of potential for cool units focused on stuff like ranged bombardment/collateral damage and stuff like that, especially with tanks, steampunk themed aircraft, and so on. And their big hero unit, the Goliath, is pretty cool too, with the ability to switch between a normal mode for combat, and a siege mode for ranged bombardment. Putting too much power into that sort of ranged combat could make it too easy to cheese the AI from a safe distance, but I assume that sort of ranged and collateral damage would be one of their big strengths, and the lack of availability to magic and religion would be one of their big weaknesses. I also assume in the context of MoM, they'd require a lot of metal, particularly for building stuff like tanks.

I'd give some more thoughts on mechanics and balance, but I'm tired right now, so hopefully this is a good start. There's probably even more potential for the Civ than I'm describing. I don't know if you've played Rise/Ashes of Erebus, but they're pretty fun and unique, and could be even better with the more advanced mechanics of MoM. It's worth checking them out and seeing for yourself if you haven't, perhaps. I think they'd fit perfectly in MoM though.

I'm only basing this on what you write, I haven't played them myself, but in the framework of MoM, I could see the "refined mana" modeled by buildings that consume mana, but give different boni depending on the consumed mana. This would give them a unique synergy with magic because on the one side, you want to get mana nodes, but on the other side, since you just consume them, spell research and arcane units perks are kind of worthless to you. It's also relatively easy to mod.
To the topic of units, you could give them low base strength to compensate the strong ranged combat, or only allow relatively light max damage from the distance. One possible way of balancing could also be just allowing very specific mechs depending on the mana a building consumes, so that in the early and mid-game, you're only good at a few certain things but not others.

edit: Though all of this is pretty similar to the Luchuirp, I just noticed.

In general when porting stuff, the question is whether to port it directly and just mod it until it works/is balanced, or starting from scratch on the same theme. I'd probably favor the second. Also, obviously, wouldn't we need to ask the guy who made them if he allows us to copy his work?

Last edited:
In-progress change log for 5.6, is there anything that I might missed?

Spoiler :

- [AOS SI] Larincsidhe starts with 10 str (instead of 0 str +10 lightning).
- [AOS SI] Reduced Sun Faerie strength to 5 +1 Fire +1 Fire affinity (it was 5 +3 Fire +2 Fire affinity). Still receives +str from techs.
- [AOS SI] Reduced Moon Faerie strength to 5 +1 Cold +1 Water affinity (it was 5 +3 Cold +2 Water affinity). Still receives +str from techs.
- [ARISTRAKH] Catacomb is buildable in all cities.
- [ARISTRAKH] Cabal Shrine requires Circle of Blood or Circle of Despair.
- [ARISTRAKH] Aristrakh only gain souls from living units.
- [AUSTRIN] Wisp (Ranger UU) str is 8 +1 poison, little bit stronger than other Ranger UUs.
- [AUSTRIN] Merged some of Linvega's changes:
- [AUSTRIN] Starts with Nomads tech (trade routes in almost all terrains, except hell terrains).
- [AUSTRIN] Workers can not build road in such terrains.​
- [AUSTRIN] Buildings change log:
- [AUSTRIN] Summer and Winter palaces give +2 population limit.
- [AUSTRIN] Gains Citizen District (Noble District UB): +2 culture, +2 hammer, +1 culture from Dye, Cotton, Marble, Ale.
- [AUSTRIN] Gains Philosopher District (Sage District UB): +2 science, +1 science/population, +1 science from Incense, Reagent, Wine.
- [AUSTRIN] Gains Bazaar District (Merchant District UB): +2 gold, +1 gold/population, +2 trade route, +50% trade route income.
- [AUSTRIN] Gains Exotic Market (Travelling Merchant UB): gets +2 commerce for access to various resources, +0.5 commerce for each.
- [AUSTRIN] Gains Venison Market (Hunting Ground UB): gets +1 gold from Deer.
- [AUSTRIN] Gains Austrin Aerial Stable (Aerial Stable UB): unlocked at Ranger's Guild V (instead of VII).
- [AUSTRIN] Food Caravan sells -6 food (instead of -10 food).​
- [AUSTRIN] Leaders change log:
- [AUSTRIN] Deidra is Loremaster/Adaptive/Defensive (temporary).
- [AUSTRIN] Sorah and Ecks are Trader/Nomads (able to do Prepare Expedition and Swap Cities).
- [AUSTRIN] Sorah and Ecks gain (and give) +2 attitude toward males and females. This will make it easier for them to establish Open Border.​
- [BANNOR] Nerfed Chapel (Pagan Temple UB)'s yield to +3 culture/+3 faith (it was +2 culture/+5 faith).
- [BANNOR] Fixed Bannor Guardsman trait (increasing improvement growth rate by 50%, instead of reducing it).
- [CLAN OF EMBERS] Stoneskin Ogre's Stoneskin blocks Bleeding.
- [ILLIANS] The Draw gives all White Hand units +2 Cold, required for Ascension. Increased cost to 3000 faith/20 faith upkeep.
- [LJOSALFAR] Sentinel loses Defensive, gains Woodland 1.
- [LJOSALFAR] AI has greater weight for religion.
- [LUCHUIRP] Dwarven Slinger loses Defensive, gains City Defender 1.
- [LUCHUIRP] Wood Golem gets +20% bonus production from Timber.
- [LUCHUIRP] Marble Golem no longer bombard but stronger in collateral damage.
- [MALAKIM] Malakim starts with a Settler, a Worker, a Lightbringer and two Dervishes to help AI.
- [MALAKIM] Lost Nomad tech (which gives them ability to connect trade routes in various tiles).
- [MALAKIM] Nomad promotion is renamed to Desert Warrior, gives +20% att/def on desert tiles.
- [MALAKIM] Dervish will gain "Followers of ..." according to the state religion, when built in a city with state religion.
- [MALAKIM] Kane is Imperialist/Trader now.
- [SCION] Ghostwalker (Ranger UU) is reduced to 8 str, like other Ranger UUs.
- [BARBARIAN] Changed Goblin Archer's strength from 5+3 poison to 6+2 poison.
- [UNIT] Catapult gains +1 affinity from Timber and Stone.
- [UNIT] Trebuchet gains +1 affinity from Timber and Stone.
- [UNIT] Cannon and Dwarven Cannon gain +1 affinity from Iron, Mithril and Gunpowder.
- [UNIT] Siege engines can gain promotions.
- [UNIT] AI will build fewer siege engine than before.
- [BUILDING] All Pagan Temples and UBs cost 150 hammers.
- [CLASS] Berserker's innate ability is +25% vs unit with Gaping Wound.
- [CLASS] Berserker can enter Combat Frenzy at will (gaining +30% att, -15% def, 10% chance to gain Enraged from combat, 50% expire chance).
- [CLASS] Blade of Fury gives +1 move, +1 first strike, requires Vengeance discipline.
- [CLASS] Commander class now requires Offense discipline.
- [CLASS] Featherfang loses "target weakest unit" and gains "50% to pass Gaping Wound to enemy" and "+25% vs unit with Gaping Wound".
- [CLASS] Gladiator is renamed to Bannerman. It gives the ability to call for Reckless Charge (+20% str, +1 move, -2 first strike, becomes Fatigued).
- [CLASS] Sharpshooter gains "target weakest unit".
- [CLASS] Starbolt Archer is renamed to Duskwood Archer, gains +1 Timber affinity.
- [CLASS] Vindicator is renamed to Marshal. It has +30% city attack and defense, and double defensive bonus.
- [CLASS] Weaponmaster inflicts Gaping Wound (50% chance) instead of Poison Weakness.
- [EQUIPMENT] Added new equipment property: Bleeder (25% pass Gaping Wound to enemy).
- [EQUIPMENT] Added new effect: Gaping Wound (10% physical damage, can kill, removed when unit is healed).
- [EQUIPMENT] Removed Berserk equipment property.
- [EQUIPMENT] Axe, Waraxe, Heroic Broadsword and Mithril Claymore have Bleeder property (making them excellent for Berserkers).
- [EVENT] Added more options using various mana types.
- [GUILD] Javelin requires Ranger's Guild IV and gives 30% attack. Requires 350 woods.
- [GUILD] Ranger's Guild various animal pens give +1 happiness +1 culture (previously +1 happiness +3 culture). This is on par with Balseraphs' slave cages.
- [GUILD] Ivory requires Ranger's Guild III (the same level with Silk).
- [GUILD] Cordwain Shop requires RG III (instead of IV).
- [GUILD] Huntsman's Cabin gives +1 health and +1 gold for access to Bison, Deer, Fur (and 0.50 for each).
- [GUILD] Mage Guild's Wizard Tower is now a national wonder, gives the ability to adjust Spell Research and Mana sliders.
- [GUILD] Guardian Golem str is 15 (from 12).
- [GUILD] Slaver's Guild I and V no longer give +1 global unhappiness.
- [GUILD] Slaver's Compound gives -1 happiness and +2 hammer per city culture level.
- [GUILD] Overseer requires Slaver's Guild IV (moved down from Guild V). Its strength is reduced to 9 (from 10). Starts with Manhunt I-II.
- [GUILD] Slaver's Guild V increases yield from quarries (+1 hammer/+2 stones).
- [GUILD] Obsidian Castle is moved to Slaver's Guild V (from VII). It gives -20% to hurry, +1 unhappiness to all cities.
- [GUILD] Shadow requires Tongue of Lies (Esus IV). Its strength is reduced to 6 +1 Cold/+1 Poison/+1 Unholy. It gains +affinity from Razorweed. Cost 100 hammer/300 leather.
- [RELIGION] Added Sacrifice spell in cities with Demon's Altar. Sacrificing living unit will give you (10 + (caster's level * caster level)).
- [RELIGION] "Follower of ..." promotions give +1 strength of various element:
=== Junil = +1 holy
=== Lugus = +1 fire
=== Kilmorph = +1 physical
=== Cernunnos = +1 poison
=== OO = +1 cold
=== Agares = +1 unholy​
- [RELIGION] Lower disciple units base strength so that their final strength with Follower of ... are still the same.
- [RESOURCE] Eternal Fruit is harvestable with Plantations.
- [TRAIT] Berserker trait now gives Bloodthirsty (+20% att, -10% def).
- [TRAIT] Trader trait now gives Cartography to leaders.[/spoilers]

Also, great news! @Linvega is joining the team and will take on Epic Destiny victory conditions.
Since we have real world commitments, we are planning to release future patches every two months basis, unless there is a game breaking bug.

Top Bottom