Y2K7 Bug (AKA Daylight Savings Bug)

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
This only effects computer users living in the United States. After the Energy Policy Act of 2005 has been passed mandating that starting in 2007, Daylight Saving Time in many jurisdictions of the United States and Canada will begin earlier and run later than in previous years; it will start on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November.

The only problematic side effect is that the display will be an hour behind up to the old date that we traditionaly switch clocks ahead.

Fixes and updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

Changes for other OSes

Shyeah, cuz we all know that Canada isn't already a part of the US.

I jest, I jest.

I thought MS was making this available as an automatic update....

This was pushed out as an automatic update months ago, IIRC.

I thought MS was making this available as an automatic update....
They do, but there are some people who turn off the automatic update and to lazy to turn it back on.

Older versions of Outlook(pre 2007) won't necessarily get automatically patched, MS has a page explaining what to do. One of the guys at work today found out that the Windows patch affects every year, not just 2007 onwards, so archives might have some problems. Stupid programmers not even bothering to check the year. I can't wait to see what else goes wrong. Might not hurt to have a few days supply of cash in case point of sales systems kick it and don't get fixed until Monday.

Thanks for the heads-up, CG. :thumbsup:

I checked my system, and found it was already updated. Of course, I'm not running Windows.... ;) (PCLinuxOS, version 2007-Test Release 3, is updated on the installation CD. :D) But googling around, I found the patch for my Palm, as well.

So this thread has served to help one of us, at least. :)

I checked my system, and found it was already updated. Of course, I'm not running Windows.... ;)
I'm going to have to check on both Kubuntu and Linspire if there are any updates since I have them both in my virtual machines.

Of course, you can always double click the time on the bottom-right corner, and change the time manually... Been doing that for decades already. :p

Of course, you can always double click the time on the bottom-right corner, and change the time manually... Been doing that for decades already. :p

Old school!

Let's see how many people get confused with DST in the demogame now... :D

Bah! You can stick with that epic maneuver :p

They do, but there are some people who turn off the automatic update and to lazy to turn it back on.
*Cough cough*:lol:

Ergh, this DST is so confusing. There's this stoplight near our house that is usually a red blinking one (i.e. it acts like a stop sign, not a green-yellow-red stoplight) before 7 am in the morning, about the time I pass it when my mom drives me to school.

However, in the fall, when the clocks were set back, the stoplight then was only blinking till 6 am, adding a few minutes on to our drive; and they still haven't fixed it, not even now. But at least it'll be fixed by tomorrow!

It was my comptuer clock that reminded me I had to change my clocks sicne I was wondering why it was an hour fast, same with a forum also had the tiem change while the others didn't.

Anybody have any problems? At the office we had a meeting time messed up, but I'm not sure that wasn't just Outlook being dumb. Ironically, only our sys admin didn't have his computer update everything. I've heard stories of other places losing email access or even deleted messages. We had another small problem with some internal software, but we were expecting that.

Top Bottom