Yahoo bumps storage to 1GB

MarineCorps

Explosion!
Almost a year after Google's Gmail service started public testing, Yahoo has matched the 1GB of storage it offers for free email accounts

Yahoo on Tuesday said it plans to once again boost its free email storage limit — this time to 1GB, the same amount offered by archrival Google.

Beginning in late April, Yahoo will upgrade free users to the new storage limit of 1GB, up from its current 250MB. The company said it will take about two weeks for all Yahoo Mail users to see the boost.

Yahoo's storage upgrade comes a week after Google started offering Gmail accounts to random visitors of its home page. This has led to heightened speculation in news articles and blogs that Google plans to open Gmail's doors to the public on 1 April, a year after it launched in its current test form.

Brad Garlinghouse, Yahoo's vice-president of communications products, said in an interview that Yahoo Mail's storage upgrade was not in response to Google's latest moves. Instead, he said Yahoo is "paying attention to what users are doing and how they're using their in-boxes".

Since Gmail premiered last year, free email has changed. Popular Web mail services such as Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail had offered strict storage limitations to their in-boxes, and required people to pay extra for additional space.

Shortly after Gmail was released, Yahoo announced plans to boost its storage to 100MB from 4MB, and then upgraded it again to 250MB in November. Subsequently, Microsoft said it would implement its own storage boost to 250MB.

Besides the 1GB of storage, Yahoo Mail will offer antivirus scanning. The service currently uses Symantec's Norton Antivirus to detect viruses, but prohibits people from opening the attachment instead of ridding the file of its infection.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39192436,00.htm

My ass they aren't responding to google. :lol: Still an intresting move.

Pfft. They could have had the decency to bump up Yahoo Mail Plus storage to 3GB or something.

they could at least try and show google up a bit, mabey 1.5 gigs or something. I remember I thought it was awesome when yahoo offered 4mbs to hotmails 2.

Can anyone possibly think what to do with all that space (other than to "store" spam)?

When I registered at Yahoo they had 6 megs. Then they bumped it to 10. Then to 250. And now 1 gig. I didn't even need 6 megs, dammit! But now I have something to show off to my friends who jumped on the first Gmail invite they got...

Well, I could use my Yahoo account as a backup server...

Aphex_Twin said:
Can anyone possibly think what to do with all that space (other than to "store" spam)?

Well, with Gmail at least, there is a nifty little program called the Gmail Drive Shell Extension that lets you use your Gmail account as a virtual hard drive. I use it to store my CIV 3 map &. saved game files, that way I can play the same game on different computers with ease.

With my volume of E-mails, it will take millenia for me to have 1 Gb of E-mails.

Heck, it might take a millenia for 6 Mb of E-mails . . .

Interesting move?

Lordy man, I'd be castrated before returning to Yahoo mail from Gmail. The huge avalanches of spam, the high loading times, and about a million other gripes make it hands down the worst mainstream e-mail provider on the web.

Impact950 said:
Interesting move?

Lordy man, I'd be castrated before returning to Yahoo mail from Gmail. The huge avalanches of spam, the high loading times, and about a million other gripes make it hands down the worst mainstream e-mail provider on the web.

Replace "Yahoo Mail" with "Hotmail" and I would agree.

Guardsman Kerby said:
1GB ahhh... well my swap to G-Mail was all for nothing because with G-Mail there's no address blocker!

You can have it moved automatically to the trash...

Anyway, gmail is still much, much better than Yahoo, as it has conversations, and search, but I'm happy for Yahoo users :).

I like my Yahoo! e-mail, free anti-virus, spam blocker, address blocker, I can create "shielding" e-mail addresses to give out instead of my real one, and delete the shield e-mail when it starts receiving spam (I have one for newsletters and PBEMS currently).

Top Bottom