1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Yay, airships !

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Baron Von Noob, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Baron Von Noob

Baron Von Noob Chieftain

Well, the steampunk-geek that's (not so well) hidden in me is quite happy that the Kuriotates will be having airships in 0.34 !

I'm especially glad of these on the Erebus maps, where those mountain chains could be strategically tough to deal with before "Pass Through the Ether".

I'm really curious of what the unit art will be like ? I'm guessing some sort of Final Fantasy-ish zeppelin, but I could be totally wrong...

(I'm of course also really looking forward to the Illians and all the icy features, but that's been discussed quite a lot in the forum already)

2. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

yay, airships! fear my Kuriotate intercontinental invasion force! :lol:

3. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

As a fan of Steampunk, airships, and invasion fleets, this is definitely good news. Especially considering that Eurabatres loses some of his "awe factor." Not that I wont be looking forward to awakening Drifa:evil:

4. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Here goes another question (since flying units are not presented a class), will it be a unique "flying" unitclass, or just another unit with "ignore terrain" but Naval unitclass?
    What will be a counter to this over-the-mountains dropship? It would be awesome and maybe a bit unfair to settle in unreachable/almost unreachable place and kill everyone with raiding transports... Also there should be a big penalty for attacking directly from ship or units should be able to unload first to attack, if it isn't made I already see huge unreachable kuriotates' stacks sitting atop of the mountains/lakes.

5. GeeJo

GeeJo Flibbertigibbet

I suspect the latter.

Fireballs would work fairly well. As would druids. If they're hovering over a lake instead of a mountain, send in the Water-walking troops.

Given that the only civilisation with airships also has the Sprawling trait, I don't see this as a major problem. How often have you had a City slot spare as the Kuriotates by the time you reach Astronomy?

Not much difference to having a stack of four druids, or a huge stack of water-walk promoted stygian guards, do the same thing for any other civ. Just move away from the mountain!

6. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

Seriously, this is really just a solution to the boat issue fort he Kurios. Putting a city on a coast is extremely detrimental to its overall yeild (Lush cottages? Ancient Forests? Naw, how about 1 or 2 food and a commerce or 2. Blech). However, if they didn't, then they would end up land locked the entire time, and would be unable to get units to another land without some pretty awkward strategies.

7. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

Does anyone know if the art for the unit is posted anywhere?

8. Witzzard

Witzzard Chieftain

I hope it's not over the top steampunk.... There are so many Steampunk worlds wich i simply dislike for building machines that are nowhere near believable and get justified by the makers by saying "It works per steam-tech!".....

@Zechnophobe, i also thought that it might be a try to solve that problem, but i personally don't think that a airhsip is very fitting for the Kuroriates...

9. Mailbox

Mailbox King

Who said it has to be steampunk? It could just be a ship propelled by air magic ;)

10. retro V

retro V Prince

Actually, mass transit seems very fitting for a sprawling civ.

11. Grand Seeker

Grand Seeker Warlord

I must also see that I enjoy the airship a lot, but I am very interested in seeing the implimentation.

Is it a fast moving unit which can go on water and land?
    If so,
    -can it transport units also on land?
    -How fast will it be?

I guess it will be a pure troop transport ship, without much combat factor, atleast not in ofensive.

12. Azure-Dreamer

Azure-Dreamer Chieftain

the kazzhad should have a steam/mechanical airship.
    the other dwarves should have a sort of semi-magical semi-mechanical airship using air mana.
    kuriotates really need a flying transport of some sort though.
    lannun maybe should get a sailing ship look-a-like that runs off air mana and possibly some other mana type.
    sheaim and amurites probably could use total magic based flying units, sheaim need dimensional+air mana? amurites maybe air+metamagic.

only suggestions, but if these do happen the other civs will need some form of air transport for the sake of balance

13. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

P'rate Airship with a bunch of 'ealers in it's lower deck to drop :).

(quite quick model/texture, so nothing special here)
    This whole thread inspired me to start an "air race" modmod idea for the FFH2 using the Barbarian Camp system from the barbarian scenario, but I don't know how to get my units in game with full animation etc.; mainly because there're no advanced tutorials to make complex units and I don't want to re-texture existing...
    When I'll be able to do it (I hope I'll find the info somewhere) I'll see the 0.34 system for airships Kael suggested and I hope I'll make this small thing.

Hurray to Air Pirates :).

P.S. Also Lanun may be able to get some kind of "Flying Hollander" with late magical/divine techs. I find it fitting.

14. GeeJo

GeeJo Flibbertigibbet

Actually, Lanun are already the second-most likely people to get hold of airships. Just attack the Kuriotates with a few Boarding Parties, and take to the skies on stolen ships!

15. Demus

Demus King

which fits the lanun much better. They're great for boats, but i can't see them building steam engines, or using air and fire mages to fill up balloons. Sounds a lot more like the ljuchirp imho

16. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Kuriotates:

Lanun:

Sheim:

Luchuirp:

17. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

How the the Luchuirp get their airships to be invisible?

18. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Not only invisible, but extremely tiny.

19. Ksi

Ksi Warlord

Actually, they're literally made out of air.

20. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

Air Golems!!!