1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ye Olde CivNet "dropper" tactic

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Kuhal, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Kuhal

Kuhal Chieftain

I'm new to diety level and I've only been partially successful on one occasion but now I read these forums I see that I should not have resigned on the many occasions where I did so due to by technological failings...

Has anybody used the following tactic successfully in diety level? There are probably many names for it but the first time (and the last I might add) I needed it was in the CivNet days of old.

The tactic is simple:
    Ideally, start with an Industrious race

Each settlement builds a warrior (or two depending upon it's food income) and then a settler. Occassionally a city may build a worker or attacking unit, but it must strive to build the settler as fast as possible.

Each new city is placed exactly 3 tiles from any other city so they have a clear 9 tile area that they can call home.

Ideally reserve good city building tiles with a warrior or spearman and build from chokepoints or borders back to the core.

Build roads as you go connecting all cities in a web like fashion

When you are extorted for money give it of course. No wars allowed until you can 20 or so cities and you start to switch the central 7 or 8 cities to military production.

Because your cities are all within 3 of at least 2 others and connected by roads, defense is easier. As you produce units, push them to the frontier and reserve more building sport.

I have played this way several times and although I haven't won yet I think it should work. Like I said, I always give up too soon. By 10AD I usually have the most cities (very map dependent of course). It is the only way I can be equal with the AI on cities fairly early on.

Some of those frontier cities have to be sacrificed as extortion payments early on - especially if the damn Russians are near you :(

I wonder what the name of this tactic is in Civ3 as I'm sure there are many other ex-civnet players that will have tried it in civ3 by now...

Come on, show yer age :p

:egypt:

2. ADLOTS

ADLOTS Chieftain

Its caleld ICS... infinite citty sprawl...

it should work at the beggingin, but i think as u build lots of citties ur corruption will sky rocket and u will be screwed. I cant remember the optimal citty numbers.

Ive never tried the tactic, but some ppl seem to be successful with it

3. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Read Aeson's article called 'Expansionists Chariot Gambit with ICS topping' in the Strategy Articles forum. He scored over 60,000 pts on Deity with this to get the top score in the Hall Of Fame.

4. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

It works slightly better if you give your core cities 12 tiles to use. That will give max city production until hospitals.

5. Yndy

Yndy Chieftain

I'm commonly using something a four tile distance between the cities to win on Deity. Of course if I have a crappy position then I'd lose but with an average position I can get a diplo/spaceship victory and with a good start one I can get a domination.
    I also get around 12 tiles so and most of my cities don't need hospitals.
    I did try ICS (3 tile difference) a couple of times and it seems to be working but I never finished a game.